Da Spoodster!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Gordon White
356 Fan

Re: Da Spoodster!

#16 Post by Gordon White »

Bondo is amazing, I have a 120 Jag that had 2" of bondo that covered one side with no cracks in it.
I removed it with a heat gun and a putty knife.
What are those flares off of ?
Looks like a great project. Gordon

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

Not sure what the flares are off of, but they are going on the wall for posterity. They are a little different so they might be hand made for the car. A fun project for sure.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#18 Post by Steve Harrison »

Adam, I see in one of your pictures there are two small holes on the top of the front fender, ostensibly for a rear view mirror. My car had these exact same holes, similar spacing, same placement,..on both fender tops. But the holes were welded shut. I guess someone added mirrors and then someone else eliminated them. Is the hole pattern particular to any likely specific mirrors? Or is it a case of "whatever the dealer had" (Maybe even Lucas (!) ;)
My kardex doesn't note mirrors, but I know that's no indication. I don't really like the look of fender top mirrors as it breaks up the clean lines of the car in my opinion so I'm not likely to go back to them. Just curious what they might have been.
What do you think?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Adam Wright »

I got a 56 in last year that was taken off the road in 63, so a lot of the car was original. It had strange fender mounted mirrors, not sure if they were original.
Personally, the only fender mirror I can stomach in the Carrera mirror, all the other ones do kind of look stuck on there as an afterthought. Porsche put a lot of thought into the lines, why ruin it, right?
Attachments
mir1.jpg
li1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Armand Botha
356 Fan

#20 Post by Armand Botha »

Hi there I am pretty sure that those flares are sections of beetle fenders. Hot VWs magazine ran an article on doing just that on a Karmann Ghia in the late seventies and that front flare look almost identical
Regards
Armand
Armand Botha

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

Judging by the rest of the VW stuff on this car that makes perfect sense, and the guy probably melted a whole bell to get all the brass he used.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Adam Wright »

I got to the shop this morning and thought I was at a standstill. I won't have a driver's fender for several weeks, so that part is out. No problem, I need to do the closing panel on the passenger's side, but I ordered the wrong side, shiznit! What to do?
I decided to do what will probably be the most dramatic day of this build, cutting out the coupe dash and laying in the Speedster one. Luckily, I had done this once before and still have the dash, so I could see where to cut before I did. That dash was taken out by a metal master, who unfortunately is no longer with us, but I was there to watch it happen.
So all in all a good day, hopefully the closing panel will come in next week and I can start on that, than the fender, than the dash, and after that hopefully I will have the other fender in and can call the front end a wrap. The real fun begins than, skinning the whole rear end!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jack Staggs »

Wow Adam, THREE accessory sockets???

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

Jack,
Where else can I Plug in the blender, TV, and shaver?
www.unobtanium-inc.com

kurt hoelter
356 Fan

#25 Post by kurt hoelter »

watch it adam, youre irreverence is showing.
kurt hoelter
1953 coupe #50748
1960 roadster #87689

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#26 Post by Adam Wright »

As long as my epidermis isn't.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#27 Post by Adam Wright »

Finally got all my metal in for the right side but ran out of time in the day to get anything other than a mock-up done, but at least I have everything I need now. Soon the sound of frying bacon will be sizzling again!
Attachments
metaljpg.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Adam Wright »

Not a good day for the Spoodster. I get the passenger fender fitted perfectly, or so I thought. My brother walked over and mentioned how the wheel was not centered in the wheel well, that got us to looking all over the car. The nose on the passenger side was a good 2 inches back from the driver's side. I knew the car had been wrecked, that is why I replaced so much of the fender, rather than just the flare, but apparently whoever had fixed the car before me relied more on bondo than good lines. So I now had a fender trimmed to the wrong angles, yeah, it didn't feel good.
The driver's fender was going a little better, thanks to Vic for bringing me the fender at Hershey. It will work with me having to make part of the arch.
There is a reason why restorations cost so much, sometimes parts of the car look right, until you have to work around it, than you realize how deep the rabbit hole goes on these cars that have been abused for 50 years.
Attachments
427-1.jpg
427-2.jpg
427-3.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jason Bobruk
356 Fan

#29 Post by Jason Bobruk »

Hi Adam,

I am liking the look of this.

I am planning a trip at the end of the year to come to the East coast for a bit of a family vacation.

As I did a while back with Justin Rio, I think it would be a bit of fun if I came and gave some of my love to the Spoodster.(it seems as that thing needs a whole lot of love). Whilst there I would be keen to bench press some 911 engines with you brother too.

Seriously, If you want some metalwork help from an Australian registry brother I would be more than happy to meet you guys and get my hands dirty.

never good to see a post starting "not a good day for the Spoodster"..... every day spent with one of these old girls is a good day.

If the light at the end of the tunnel ever seems a little dim....have your brother shine a torch in your eyes whilst you squint, that always works for me!

Jason

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Jason-
Please come by when you come to the states, I could use someone who has done this before, I am finding outer bodywork is a lot harder than structural parts that nobody will ever see. Not to mention working on a car that is heavily modified, on top of being poorly repaired from previous wrecks.
If you come by I can show you the best of upstate NY food, we have both kinds, pizza and Italian, yeah, it is that diverse.
www.unobtanium-inc.com