Da Spoodster!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Da Spoodster!

#31 Post by Adam Wright »

So I freed up some time on Friday and got the inner fender on, fitting it was a challenge, the car was wrecked who knows when and the angles were all off, but after much trial and error I think I got everything on there nicely.
Attachments
spoodfend.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Lampe
356 Fan

#32 Post by Eric Lampe »

Adam, What type of brake drums are those?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#33 Post by Vic Skirmants »

VW, with spacer.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic, your such a spoiler, I was going to allude to it being a super rare prototype race hub, when it is like everything else on the car, VW, the wheels have a adapter to run the strange FORD looking wheels that were on the car, not 5 X 100 pattern but close.
The gearbox and engine are also VW, I am putting 356 discs on it and a 912 engine. The funny thing is they went to a lot of trouble to make the engine look Porsche, they used a 356 shroud and ran Zeniths, it is very convincing.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Lampe
356 Fan

#35 Post by Eric Lampe »

Adam Wright wrote:I was going to allude to it being a super rare prototype race hub...
Made out of unobtanium?

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#36 Post by Roy Lock »

Adam, when you finish this project have you thought about finding a coupe top and making this a concours quality resto?
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#37 Post by Adam Wright »

Roy-
I will leave the Q-tips in your Dana Point kit, if I go to a concours it is for the free food. And I have a coupe top, but it is going on the wall as art.
Attachments
restorableA.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#38 Post by Adam Wright »

Eric,
Very few pieces of Unobtanium make it onto my personal cars, stuff is too valuable. That's why I have a Spoodster, not a Speedster, not that we don't get Speedsters in, but they are worth too much to keep.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#39 Post by Adam Wright »

The bacon was frying today! Got the passenger fender on, moved on to the driver's side, went a lot smoother, of course I had good angles on this side, it wasn't smashed at some point. Now I just have to fab up a piece to bridge the gap, that will be the fun part....
Attachments
spood20.jpg
spood21.jpg
spood22.jpg
spood23.jpg
spood24.jpg
spood25.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Eric Lampe
356 Fan

#40 Post by Eric Lampe »

What gauge steel will you use; 18, 19 or 20? I assume the metric “19” gauge would be hard to find and that you would go with the thicker 18 gauge.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#41 Post by Rusty Willey »

This is fun to watch!!! Thanks Adam, glad it is you not me!
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#42 Post by Adam Wright »

Eric-
To answer your question I think it is 18 gauge, I normally try to make use of scraps I have from my RD sheet metal. You would be amazed at how much metal you can use and use.

I got some more work done on the fender today, kind of like a puzzle, luckily I have two other A's in the shop right now so I can take lots of measurements and patterns. Hoping to wrap up the fender tomorrow.
Attachments
fen1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Andrew Serdich
356 Fan
Tag: Enjoying the ride

#43 Post by Andrew Serdich »

Looking nice Adam. Wish I knew how to weld. Of course I would have to own a welder to learn.
1962 356b T-6 Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#44 Post by Adam Wright »

You can do what I did, go down to the local vocational school and take a class, of course I did it in Brooklyn with all the ex-cons. Everyone kept asking me who my PO was, I kept thinking Previous Owner, what? Than one day it dawned on me, Probation Officer, ahhhhh, I got it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#45 Post by Adam Wright »

Other than some finishing the driver's fender is done, making that last piece was a lot of little shapes and cuts, fitting, more shapes and cuts, stand 10 feet back, more shaping, I was practically making love to it, but it ended up with a mm of where I wanted it, I'll take that.
Next, the dash!!!!!!!! That will probably be the most dramatic moment of the build, is there anything more iconic than a Speedster dash?
Attachments
4.jpg
2.jpg
fen4.jpg
fen5.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com