Restoring #151489 - building a faux cam carrera

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

Re: Restoring #151489 - building a faux cam carrera

#61 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

Hi Bill,

Congrats on Mia!!!!
Congrats again on the car!! It is one of the nicest projects over the list!!!

Cheers,

Freddy
www.356carrera.net

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#62 Post by Bill Sargent »

last night I finished the last part needed for the oil tank installation - the clamp that holds the filler neck to the engine compartment side wall. The dimensions Justin provided were spot on.
Clamp is around the filler neck just above the blue rubber sleeve.  Lots of small fiddly parts, but it has all come together nicely.
Clamp is around the filler neck just above the blue rubber sleeve. Lots of small fiddly parts, but it has all come together nicely.
DSCN1860.JPG (73.19 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
Here is the entire oil tank system.  Oil line from the tank to the motor would normally interfere with the exhaust system, however the sebring exhaust Jim Constas built for the project was made to avoid this problem.   Nice to have another system completed!
Here is the entire oil tank system. Oil line from the tank to the motor would normally interfere with the exhaust system, however the sebring exhaust Jim Constas built for the project was made to avoid this problem. Nice to have another system completed!
DSCN1864.JPG (90.46 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
I also worked on the mounting parts for the oil filter last night. I decided to replicate the factory nut plate that goes between the tail clip and rear engine compartment wall. By drilling small holes between the bolt holes and positioning the nut plate correctly, I can weld the nut plate to the wall by filling these holes with weld metal. Got the nut plate made last night.
Filter bracket on right, nut plate on left.  Nut plate will get bead blasted and then weld thru primed before installation.
Filter bracket on right, nut plate on left. Nut plate will get bead blasted and then weld thru primed before installation.
DSCN1867.JPG (80.27 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
Thanks for reading this!
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#63 Post by Justin Rio »

Looking great Bill! All the pieces are slowly falling into place. Nice job on the collar clamp. Proper 4-cam oil cap is also a nice detail! Are you running that blue hose or are you buying the correct stuff from peter hoffman? Keep up the great updates. Justin

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#64 Post by Bill Sargent »

Thanks Justin, yes I am eating the elephant slowly (or as my wife says, licking the elephant). The proper oil cap does look good - thanks for being the willing seller! I am using the blue silicone hose as it was available locally for about $10 for 3 ft and came in 1/8" diameter increments. The 2 1/8" one is 54mm, which fits perfectly. For final installation I will get the correct hose from Peter, along with several other things I need like the correct slotted head screws for the 4 cam fan shroud. Will wait to order everything at once to help on shipping.

Palo Alto Speedo shipped my restored gauges earlier this week, so I will be able to install them with the car still up on its side - way easier. Locks should be back fron Tony Eugeano in a week or two as well. Talked to Ralfy today and he will have the oil line fittings and soft plugs installed in the 3rd piece for my motor in a couple of weeks, so the motor build can also start.

Going down now to prep the oil filter bracket nut plate for installation.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#65 Post by Bill Sargent »

Made some good progress today. Bead blasted the nut plate for the oil filter and then measured several times before drilling the main mounting holes in the rear engine compartment wall. Helped to look at several real carreras at the Race Car Classic to get the location right. After holding the nut plate in place to check the fit, I then drilled the holes I would weld thru.
Oil filter nut plate in place on the back side of the rear engine compartment wall.  bolted it in place in prep to weld it in place.  You can see the 4 holes between the bolts that were welded in.  Went easier than I thought.
Oil filter nut plate in place on the back side of the rear engine compartment wall. bolted it in place in prep to weld it in place. You can see the 4 holes between the bolts that were welded in. Went easier than I thought.
DSCN1872.JPG (79.37 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
I then fitted the oil filter as a final check and it looks good!
Oil filter and thermostat in place.  I will need to trim the studs on the filter a little shorter and slot the mount holes on the bracket as space is tight to tighten the filter mount nuts.  The cars I saw at the Race Car Classic had the bracket mount holes slotted open to allow the filter to slide in place and the nuts to be tightened.
Oil filter and thermostat in place. I will need to trim the studs on the filter a little shorter and slot the mount holes on the bracket as space is tight to tighten the filter mount nuts. The cars I saw at the Race Car Classic had the bracket mount holes slotted open to allow the filter to slide in place and the nuts to be tightened.
DSCN1875.JPG (99.09 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
While I was making the nut plate for the oil filter I also made the mount bracket for the fuel pressure regulator/filter and got that fitted.
The sharp eyed among you will notice that the mount bracket welded to the car is on upside down.  This was done on purpose as the regulator/filter I am using fit better with it this way.  If I ever get an original carrera one, I will need to grind off the small welds I did on each corner and turn it right side up.
The sharp eyed among you will notice that the mount bracket welded to the car is on upside down. This was done on purpose as the regulator/filter I am using fit better with it this way. If I ever get an original carrera one, I will need to grind off the small welds I did on each corner and turn it right side up.
DSCN1891.JPG (90.25 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
And here is what the original looks like - smaller and mounted directly with the top cap screws.
And here is what the original looks like - smaller and mounted directly with the top cap screws.
DSCN1649.JPG (87.12 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
The engine compartment is almost done and is starting to look pretty good. The only part missing is the carrera breather tank. I have a reproduction being made that should arrive in a few weeks. Got some good pictures of how it is mounted from a car on the European Collectibles stand at Renn Sport Reunion.
DSCN1888.JPG
DSCN1888.JPG (96.13 KiB) Viewed 5770 times
Tomorrow's project is to solder the male fittings on the oil line ends in the engine compartment and to get the Facet (Bendix) fuel pump mounted up front. Still debating the location of the fuel pump. Either on the K member or bolted to the front of the passenger foot well. Either place will work.

Thanks for following along!
Last edited by Bill Sargent on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Frederic Prince
356 Fan

#66 Post by Frederic Prince »

Hi,
Very nice job !!
Can you tell me where you bought the banjo for the oil lines ??

Thanks,
Fred ;)
1991 - 1993 - 2,7 Targa
2004 - 2013 - 993 Targa
2015 - 2016 3,2 Targa '84
2008...356 roadster T5 S90
2013...2,4 E 72 Sunroof under restoration
2016...3,2 Targa '86
2018...3,2 Speedster '89

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#67 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi Fredrick - I purchased all the oil line fittings thru Warren Eads of Spyder Sports, however Peter Hoffman with Classic Parts in Germany can also supply all the fittings. Spyder Sports is advertised in the Registry magazine. Google Classic Parts Porsche and Peter Hoffman's company will come up.

This weekend was somewhat of a wash out for Porsche work with the new baby at home, however I did get in a couple of hours. After some more thought, I decided to go another way on the fuel pump mount. Instead of the K member or the passenger foot well, I decided to fabricate a mount for the pump so it could be installed on the front torsion bar tube where the Auto Pulse pumps of early carreras resided. There is an inspection hatch on the right side for access and it gets the pump higher up away from any water etc.
Pump bracket fabricated from 3/4" flat stock and M6 studs to clamp around the front torsion bar tube to mount a 12V Bendix fuel pump.
Pump bracket fabricated from 3/4" flat stock and M6 studs to clamp around the front torsion bar tube to mount a 12V Bendix fuel pump.
DSCN1894.JPG (73.8 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
I had an old 12V Bendix pump, but thought that a new pump might be more reliable so I went to the Facet web site and found that they make pumps with various output pressures, the 40002E model produces 2.5 to 4 psi - about right for a carburated motor. Plus this model has a positive shut off. Would not work as a pass thru filter for carb priming, but I intend to run it as the only fuel pump. The same pump without the positive shut off that could be used for a priming pump is Facet part #477060E and is sold by Several vendors. I googled the 40002E part number and found a marine supply store that stocked them, so for $114 including shipping it was in Alaska in 4 days via US Post priority mail.
Take off the Facet sticker and replace with a Bendix sticker from Brad at NLA and she is ready to go!
Take off the Facet sticker and replace with a Bendix sticker from Brad at NLA and she is ready to go!
DSCN1892.JPG (80.8 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
My restored/rebuilt gauges arrived from Palo Alto Speed over the weekend. As usual a first class job.
Had the Speedo changed to the carrera 160 MPH face and the Tach converted to electric with the carrera 8000 rpm face.   The 904 tripple gauge is one that PA Speedo made for me about 12 years ago for use in my 64C.  Had it converted to 12V.
Had the Speedo changed to the carrera 160 MPH face and the Tach converted to electric with the carrera 8000 rpm face. The 904 tripple gauge is one that PA Speedo made for me about 12 years ago for use in my 64C. Had it converted to 12V.
DSCN1897.JPG (85.61 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
Next task install the gauges and put the 12V armature in the wiper motor. Both tasks are way easier with the car up on its side.

Last edited by Bill Sargent on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Frederic Prince
356 Fan

#68 Post by Frederic Prince »

thanks for answering ;)

I too put a tripple gauge in my roadster ;)
1991 - 1993 - 2,7 Targa
2004 - 2013 - 993 Targa
2015 - 2016 3,2 Targa '84
2008...356 roadster T5 S90
2013...2,4 E 72 Sunroof under restoration
2016...3,2 Targa '86
2018...3,2 Speedster '89

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#69 Post by Bill Sargent »

Got in a few hours over the weekend and finished the installation of the electric fuel pump. Got the mount bracket blasted and painted. Then made a ground wire that runs from a stud on the mount for the pump to the same ground in the battery box side that the horns etc use. YNZ supplied me with some extra brown ground wire with the gas heater harness. I also soldered a bullet connector on the fuel pump + wire and will use one of the rubber covered female/female connectors to hook it up to the fuel pump wire in the battery box. The small butane jewler's torch is great for installing the bullet connectors - get things hot quickly without allowing the wire's insulation to melt. Wires run thru a hole in the lower right rear of the battery box rear wall - location from Justin's car.
Completed pump installation as seen thru the right access port in the rear battery box wall.  Mounted here, same as the carreras, allows for easy service access and keeps the pump up out of the splash zone.  Pump came with 10mm pipe threads, which I taped to straight 10x1 mm threads in order to use banjo fittings with seal rings.
Completed pump installation as seen thru the right access port in the rear battery box wall. Mounted here, same as the carreras, allows for easy service access and keeps the pump up out of the splash zone. Pump came with 10mm pipe threads, which I taped to straight 10x1 mm threads in order to use banjo fittings with seal rings.
DSCN1911.JPG (108.05 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Installation of the pump required two holes in the footwell area for the fuel lines, and again Justin helped me with measurements for their location.
Fuel lines to/from the electric pump.  I was a little concerned about the fuel lines possibly drooping over time and getting in the tie rods, so I welded a small bracket for one of the rubber/cloth hangers as used on the fuel line under the tranny.  Fuel pump mount bracket can be seen in the lower right of the photo.
Fuel lines to/from the electric pump. I was a little concerned about the fuel lines possibly drooping over time and getting in the tie rods, so I welded a small bracket for one of the rubber/cloth hangers as used on the fuel line under the tranny. Fuel pump mount bracket can be seen in the lower right of the photo.
DSCN1914.JPG (78.09 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Inside the car there plenty of room for the fuel lines to come in, but it gets a little crowded routing them around the wire harness. May have to modify the pedal boards to clear things.
Hard to see in the photo, but the lower of the two lines entering the interior at the lower right of the photo is the discharge from the pump.  It loops over and is secured to the hard fuel line that goes thru the tunnel.  The upper line entering the car will connect to the fuel cock on the gas tank.  it continues up and out of the photo
Hard to see in the photo, but the lower of the two lines entering the interior at the lower right of the photo is the discharge from the pump. It loops over and is secured to the hard fuel line that goes thru the tunnel. The upper line entering the car will connect to the fuel cock on the gas tank. it continues up and out of the photo
DSCN1913.JPG (85.34 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
I also got the rear engine compartment tray blasted clean so I can repair some torn holes before it is painted. At the same time I drilled the holes and welded a M6 weld nut on the small cover plate for the rear closing pannel where the hard oil lines pass thru so that it can be bolted in place with grommets around the hard oil lines.
Hole and weld nut are in the wider part in the center of the cover plate.  A short M6 bolt will hold it in place.
Hole and weld nut are in the wider part in the center of the cover plate. A short M6 bolt will hold it in place.
DSCN0766.JPG (33.19 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Instrument installation will get done in the evenings this week.

Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

David Gensler
356 Fan

#70 Post by David Gensler »

Bill,
Do you have any idea how much trouble you are going to cause somebody someday? About 60 years from now there will be some giant debate on some future iteration of 356 Talk about the origins of 151489. Did it come off the line as a Carrera? Started as one and finished as a pushrod? A prototype? Replacement chassis? Owner modification? It will be some great mystery, eliciting all sorts of speculation from knowledgeable experts!
DG
David Gensler

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#71 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi David - hopefully I live long enough to read the thread :D ! I think anyone who really knows 356 carreras would figure out pretty quickly that 151489 is not a real one. There are many details on a real carrera that I am not even going to think about recreating. Just trying to build something unique to drive, and have fun doing it. Although it would not take many more mods to be able to install a real 4 cam motor. Only problem is the motor would be worth more than the car :wink: !
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#72 Post by Alex Mestas »

Hi Bill:
I've been following the thread with envy. Keep up the great work. Its coming along beautifully.

The best to you!
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#73 Post by Bill Sargent »

I spent a great $15 today. One of the good things about living in Anchorage, Alaska is that there are lots of mechanical and machine services easily available. Lack of 356s and only 6 months without snow on the ground are the drawbacks, but I digress. One of the tips Warren Eads passed on was to use solder on fittings on the ends of the hard oil lines where they enter the engine compartment instead of the ferrul type tube fittings. Saves over an inch in length, which is important for the soft oil line that goes over to the filter. It is only a few inches long and hard to fit. Doing things to allow the soft line to be a little longer helps in the final fit up.
Middle is oil line with fitting silver soldered on - cost me $15.  Best of all it was done in 15 minutes while I waited over lunch.  Top  line has the soft oil line end fitting screwed on to the solder on fitting.  At the bottom is the original type fitting.  You can see the shorter length with the solder on fitting.
Middle is oil line with fitting silver soldered on - cost me $15. Best of all it was done in 15 minutes while I waited over lunch. Top line has the soft oil line end fitting screwed on to the solder on fitting. At the bottom is the original type fitting. You can see the shorter length with the solder on fitting.
DSCN1916.JPG (67.61 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
This photo shows how the upper soft oil line is very short and using the solder on fitting allows it to be a little longer.
This photo shows how the upper soft oil line is very short and using the solder on fitting allows it to be a little longer.
DSCN1917.JPG (71.14 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Bill Sargent
356 Fan

#74 Post by Bill Sargent »

Steve - I agree, and trying to make a car that could be passed off as a real carrera is not the object of my project - hence the title "faux cam" :D . Thanks for organizing the Race Car Classic - a once in a life time event!
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#75 Post by Greg Scallon »

This is an amazing project Bill. I love the thread. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus