Marks 64C

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

Re: Marks 356C, discovered in garage 1/2 mile from me...

#76 Post by Matt Kreeve »

Jim Karaba wrote:If you look just ahead of the seat mount on the side of the inner longitudinal you can see my 1 inch hole that I drilled to allow the E-coat to flow through the longitudinal. After this picture was taken I spot welded a small panel over the hole (by just spot welding there is minimal paint/E-coat loss) and seam sealed it.
JIM
apologies for my question but I'm a complete newbie to the pre 911 and then even pre-964 cars
... do the V's I've so expertly inserted into your pic show the holes you mentioned?

... and OP thanks very much for this thread - it's the first one I found that had many of the issues I'm facing and very useful to pretty much do everything you did with some guidance ... my intro thread coming soon, still too rusty/dirty/tired to get the pics together! Thanks again!
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

M Penta
356 Fan

Re: Marks 64 356C; misc updates

#77 Post by M Penta »

Hi Matt, welcome.

No, I am not sure what those holes are, my floor does not have them.

The holes I am referring to are the (4) 1 1/4" holes drilled at inside of the inner longitudinals, to gain access for inspection, vacuuming and application of fluid film. I was able to vacuum a lot of crap out of there with a make shift adjustable tube attached to my vacuum, then I thoroughly coated with fluid film after everything was painted. I did not open up the longitudinals since they are in good shape. There is a previous patch on the pass side that I left alone. It looks like someone needed to access the heater tube.

I too am new to these cars, but have learned a lot from people here. Feel free to ask questions.

Good luck,

Mark
Attachments
IMG_4058.JPG
primer 1.jpg
Last edited by M Penta on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

M Penta
356 Fan

#78 Post by M Penta »

I received the new custom made leather seat covers, which unfortunately were not made accurate to my request: I wanted perforated 5 pleat centers like original (not entire panel perforated), as well as some dimensional concerns I have. The shop is working with me to make it right, I will bring my seats to the shop (4hr drive) so they can re-make them exact.

Its a shame since I have since decided to restore/reuse the original covers after hearing the valued opinions from members here in another thread. I thought that the original seat seams were a lost cause and they would fall apart, not really considering the value/possibility of having them saved (re stitched, cleaned, maybe recolored). I can't afford dumb mistakes like this!

Pics of new covers, front and rear original seats. The rear panel appears to be a repop, the vinyl is good but the fiber board underneath is cracked in a few places. Other then the rear panel, the rest of the interior is original.

The dash, door panels and headliner are cleaning up nicely. I did a first pass polish on all interior chrome and it is looking good.

The seats are clamped to a board on the bucket of my tractor so I could bring them over to the house and hang out with the family while working on them instead of hiding out in the shop on my only day off. It was pretty handy since I could raise them up and tilt them to a good working position.

When the seat covers arrived, I switched my focus from engine to interior. Been jumping around a lot, maybe an undiagnosed case of adult onset ADD. Sure would explain a lot...
Attachments
IMG_4284[1].JPG
IMG_4284[1].JPG (73.16 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
IMG_4276[1].JPG
IMG_4276[1].JPG (75.74 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
IMG_4295[1].JPG
IMG_4295[1].JPG (66.37 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
IMG_4285[1].JPG
IMG_4285[1].JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
IMG_4286[1].JPG
IMG_4286[1].JPG (63.63 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
IMG_4269[1].JPG
IMG_4269[1].JPG (81.21 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
IMG_4138.JPG
Last edited by M Penta on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan

#79 Post by Matt Kreeve »

M Penta wrote:Hi Matt, welcome.

I too am new to these cars, but have learned a lot from people here. Feel free to ask questions.

Good luck,

Mark
8) thanks Mark
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

M Penta
356 Fan

#80 Post by M Penta »

I got side tracked with transmission problems in van, which took priority since I use it often and still have a few trips planned with it this Summer. Turns out it had rusty gears, a result of sitting for 25+yrs before I got it. 1st gear started making some noise, there was some significant pitting/rust/chipping on sections of gears that were not immersed in oil during period storage. I had a difficult time finding new gears, but managed to find them (probably the most expensive parts there are for this vehicle!). To make matters worse I drove 4 hrs into NY to buy another trans which turned out to be junk. big waste of time an $$.

These rusty gears give me something else to think about with the 356, which sat for a similar amount of time… I put 14K miles on the van before I noticed any problems, so the delayed effects of rusty gears will be on my mind, since I always look for new things to worry about.
Attachments
van trans 1.jpg
van trans 2.jpg
Last edited by M Penta on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

M Penta
356 Fan

#81 Post by M Penta »

Back to 356 progress:

Electrical: All grounds and light sockets cleaned, fuse box cleaned, all fuses and bulbs replaced. I already installed a new bat cable and replaced ground straps earlier this year. Everything is working!

Interior: Seats have been repaired and are ready to be picked up. I hope to pick them up while I am down that way for LRP historics. The plan is to bring the seats back to them over the winter for new leather covers, but at this point I would rather just pull the plug and stick with the originals.
I still need to install the carpet, been dragging my feet on this but it is now at the top of the list. I don’t know why I am not looking forward to this.

Engine: The big news is the 912 mystery engine was run on stand and is now in car. It starts right up, runs smooth/idles smooth and revs up quick. Oil is 40 - 50 psi and no smoke at all after running for a few minutes after first start. Seems good to go, but I will get back to you on that once I drive it over the mountain for the real test.

I installed type K Tc’s at #1 and #3 and will monitor CHT’s with my Fluke for now. I used a high temp thermally conductive epoxy and glued them to a fin close to plug hole, I did not want to mess with those plug ring types as they look like a nightmare to deal with.

All rubber engine tin seals have been replaced, clutch replaced, clutch cable adjusted, throttle linkage replaced/adjusted. It took quite a while to get all that stuff right, but all controls are working smoothly and feel good.
Fuel lines replaced, tank cleaned and reinstalled, pet cock rebuilt.

A couple of noobie mistakes: I installed engine 1st time with no cooling tin installed, thinking it was all installed after!, I installed clutch cable in backwards, 7mm side toward rear! These mistakes were not good for my vocabulary, but were not the end of the world.
Last edited by M Penta on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#82 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You CAN drive it without carpeting in it:>)
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

M Penta
356 Fan

#83 Post by M Penta »

Hi Doug,

True, but I still need to pick up the seats in CT. I should have the carpet in this weekend and seats here next week. Just hearing the engine run was satisfying enough for now.

ryan base
356 Fan

#84 Post by ryan base »

mark so close , congradulations, matt maybe fire extinguisher bracket holes

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#85 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Ryan Not unless the fire extinguisher fit under the seat!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan

#86 Post by Matt Kreeve »

^^ true they look likes the ones in the 996 Cup floor Ryan ... when racing (hence f.e. fitted) no passenger seat ;)

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan

#87 Post by Matt Kreeve »

M Penta wrote:Back to 356 progress:

Electrical: All grounds and light sockets cleaned, fuse box cleaned, all fuses and bulbs replaced. I already installed a new bat cable and replaced ground straps earlier this year. The "refurbished" starter works well, but I still want to relay it (have relay just need to install). Everything is working!

Interior: Seats have been repaired and are ready to be picked up. I hope to pick them up while I am down that way for LRP historics. The plan is to bring the seats back to them over the winter for new leather covers, but for now I think the repaired originals will be great and I just want to drive this car.
I still need to install the carpet, been dragging my feet on this but it is now at the top of the list. I don’t know why I am not looking forward to this.

Engine: The big news is the 912 mystery engine was run on stand and is now in car. It starts right up, runs smooth/idles smooth and revs up quick. Oil psi is 30-35, no smoke at all after running for a few minutes after first start. Seems good to go, but I will get back to you on that once I drive it over the mountain for the real test. I installed type K Tc’s at #1 and #3 and will monitor CHT’s with my Fluke for now. I used a high temp thermally conductive epoxy and glued them to a fin close to plug hole, I did not want to mess with those plug ring types as they look like a nightmare to deal with.

All rubber engine tin seals have been replaced, clutch replaced, clutch cable adjusted, throttle linkage replaced/adjusted. It took quite a while to get all that stuff right, but all controls are working smoothly and have a nice feel.
Fuel lines replaced, tank cleaned and reinstalled, pet cock rebuilt.

A couple of noobie mistakes: I installed engine 1st time with no cooling tin installed, thinking it was all installed after!, I installed clutch cable in backwards, 7mm side toward rear! These mistakes were not good for my vocabulary, but were not the end of the world.

Additional details and pics to come. Have problems posting pics from here.
Pics/video or its not true!

:wink:

... i just made a quick flickr account and share to that from my phone/mac
then copy the link from there (share button .. copy the bb code) into this pane ....
and pics appear

... come on, if you get all that stuff above right after all :shock:

I'm a little ways behind you (my A & C (not the preA))

M Penta
356 Fan

#88 Post by M Penta »

Wow, very nice Matt! Two projects at once, don't know how you guys do it...

Slow progress here, but it is just a side project that is supposed to be "fun" right?. Lots of house, kid and work stuff keeping me away from the shop recently, but some progress made.

I was going to wait on posting pics since there are many loose ends to tie up, but here is at least a little bit of proof.

The carpet install came out great, it was a pain but I expected that. Still need to install all trim and stuff, I am waiting on the correct washers for pockets since I am missing a few. It should look pretty good when that is all installed.

Also shown are the gauges I will be using, got a great deal on them from a guy in Canada (I really need to get his name to give him proper credit!). I would prefer a voltmeter, but plan to install the ammeter since I have it, which will require running some 10ga. This may wait, but the oil psi gauge is a must.

Lots of other little things done: relayed the starter solenoid, installed gas tank, gas lines, engine is in, all wiring pretty much done. I am making a new rear panel for the interior, reusing upholstery.

The car and shop need a pretty good cleaning right now.
Attachments
IMG_4550.JPG
IMG_4518.JPG
IMG_4509.JPG
IMG_4548.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG
Last edited by M Penta on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan

#89 Post by Matt Kreeve »

looking good Mike - the push before the snow!?

... I bought the cars as a package with another guy down here and so we decided to piggyback the metal work/paint as all three bodies were pretty rusty in parts - the pre-A Cab actually was in 4 large parts, the A had no lower doors & the C had huge holey bumpers and bonnet so by pooling the work we got a dedicated team at the shop who will just eat, sleep 356 for the next few months and use the same rotisserie (with mods) and Jigs etc.. else I'd never be trying 2 a once! I'm a long way from your re-compiling stage which I watch with envy ;)

M Penta
356 Fan

#90 Post by M Penta »

Hi, Matt

Yes, push before the snow on the junk that pushes the snow. Plow Jeep is now quiet, has brakes and that fancy new hard top I pulled out out of the woods. Took quite a bit to straighten it out but now it can stay outside and not take up a precious covered parking spot.
Attachments
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
Last edited by M Penta on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.