The Story of Old 1600 Normal No. 110471

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
William Crowell

The Story of Old 1600 Normal No. 110471

#1 Post by William Crowell »

I've owned this 1960 T5 coupe, S.N. 110471, since 1973. I bought it as a basket case. It was originally a somewhat nondescript slate gray 1600 Normal, but by the time I bought it the previous owner had installed a later engine. It had been hit in the left front quarter and a good body shop welded and leaded in a clip, but the owner never paid so they didn't re-assemble it and auctioned it off instead. Another guy bought it at the auction, totally disassembled it, and lost interest. I bought it from him for $1,500.00.

This is how it looked when I restored it the first time, in the 70s when I was in my late 20s.

After I bought the basket case, I immediately bought the Autopress, Clymer and Elfrink repair manuals. When I later discovered Harry Pellow's books, I bought them, too. It required much assembly and disassembly before I finally got it assembled right. I did it according to the philosophy that if you have an infinite number of monkeys sitting before an infinite number of typewriters, they will eventually write the Bible.

Now, many years later, the paint is in bad shape and it has some rust again. I have painted the car twice, but apparently the bodywork wasn't done correctly because the paint on the front of the car peeled off both times. Also, one day I was having fun driving it off-road on my property and I spun into a tree and put a big dent in the driver's door. At that point I got discouraged with the project, and I let it sit for about 4 years when I got into Mopar muscle cars instead. I still need to pull that dent out. Here's how it looks now, sitting in my garage while undergoing another restoration:

It's not a numbers-matching car. The engine is an assemblage of parts: 912 crankcase, "C" heads and crank, NPR big bore pistons and cylinders. I rebuilt the engine myself twice because I couldn't afford to have a good shop do it. The first time, I didn't know you couldn't re-use your pistons and cylinders, so I merely re-ringed it. It seized a ring within about 10,000 miles. The second time I installed a Japanese big bore kit and it ran for about 20 years, until I got an oil leak from the pushrod tubes which, coated with dirt, blocked the cooling fins so it began to run hot. I decided to have it rebuilt again before I did any permanent damage. This time I had it rebuilt by Frank Lettini of Sacramento with a new 200-mm. flywheel and clutch and another set of NPR pistons and cylinders that I bought from Harry Pellow. (I remember when I took the P & Cs, flywheel and clutch to Frank, he thought they were very nice and he asked me where I got such nice stuff, but he wasn't acquainted with The Maestro when I told him. Frank's pretty old-school.) I also broke a tooth off the pinion of my transmission (which I don't think was original, either), so I had Frank rebuild it with a 12-bolt ring and it really works great now, too. Frank also set the rear camber and toe-in, replaced the kingpins and installed a rebuilt steering box. The car then ran and drove very nicely, but by then I was financially upside-down in it, so I didn't want to put any more money into the body.

Then I decided recently that I would play body and fender man. I've got more time than money, anyway, so I started it as a winter project. Part of it was because the 356 is so economical with gas, and my Mopar muscle car is a gas hog. When I started working on the 356 again, I was immediately and again impressed with its quality construction (especially compared to American iron) and that inspired me to enthusiastically embark on another, and hopefully final, restoration. So what if I don't really know what I'm doing? It's a learning experience, and at least I'm keeping the car on the road. If I make any mistakes, someone else can correct them later. And I've gotten pretty good at welding thin sheet metal using an oxy-acetylene torch, if I do say so myself.

But every time I look at the car I seem to discover rust. Nothing really big, except that I replaced the longitudinals and I had to weld and lead in a new driver's side door pillar. Now I've found some smallish rust-outs in the front fenderwells that I'm repairing. I'm not replacing the entire panels; I'm just welding in patches. I don't know if this will be an adequate method of repair or not, but there is NO WAY that I am going to drill out spot welds and replace entire panels! The panels I've repaired now seem really solid and strong, but I don't know if the rust will recur or not. Time will tell. I am just hoping that someday I can clean or work on the car without discovering more rust. I am really trying to keep after the damned rust. I'm going over the entire body and pan with a fine-toothed comb, stripping it down to shiny metal and inspecting for rust-outs. The pan and body are really stiff; no sag at all, front-to back or side-to-side, and I think the door gaps are pretty good, so any remaining rust can't be too bad.

There was a floorboard rustout under the pedal assembly, so I cut it out and welded in 16 gauge sheet metal, which is thicker than the factory pan (18 gauge?) and I think stiffened the pan up somewhat. The passenger side of the pan has a similar rust-out, and I am repairing that now. I also had to make new sheet metal toeboard slots for both sides; I bent them up out of 16-gauge, too, which is thicker and stronger than the original. I stripped and rebuilt the entire pedal assembly and resized the pedal shafts until they had approximately .001" clearance in their bushings. Boy, the pedals and accelerator sure do work great now.

I've got the left front wheel well all stripped, patched and painted, and am working on the right front now. Only two more wheel wells to go!

All the brake fluid leaked out of the master cylinder while the car was sitting, so the first order of business was a complete brake job. For years my front brakes had been pulling to one side, and I discovered why: rust and crud on the shoes, wheel cylinders and brake backing plates. So I pulled the backing plates, stripped them, and painted them with Rustoleum rattle cans. I am in the process of stripping and painting the suspension and wheelwells. I've got the left front done and am working on the right front. Then I'm going to move to the back. I bought a new Harbor Freight impact wrench to remove the rear axle nuts, but I'm not sure if I'm going to need a brake drum puller in order to remove the rear drums. If so, I think I will make one for use with a bottle jack. Those front trailing arms had 50 years of rust, grease and crud on them. Judicious use of a Forney type 29 Flap Disc ZA80 in an angle grinder does a good job of removing this, followed up with a 3M rust and paint stripper in your electric drill to get the metal all shiny. I rebuilt the master cylinder and painted it beautifully with Rustoleum black gloss, and then the paint got all screwed up when I spilled a little brake fluid on it. Oh well, nobody's going to see that part of the master, anyway. I was able to find wheel cylinder rebuild kits for the rear, but not the front, and new front wheel cylinders (4 of them!) are shockingly expensive, so I soaked my old wheel cylinders in clean brake fluid and re-installed them. I'm hoping for the best on those front wheel cylinders. Anybody know where to buy rebuild kits?

Since it's only a T5 coupe (not really the most desirable 356 in the first place) and not an original car anyway, I am not going to worry about originality and intend to paint it my favorite color: pearlescent yellow. I'm going to spray the body with Transtar "Direct To Metal" primer and then 3-stages of paint (bright yellow, then pearl, then clear). I'm going to do the interior myself, in some really offbeat contrasting color of leather. It will be a very personalized 356.

So whatsay? Do you think I have my head up my wazoo on this project? You can feel free to tell me if you think so. I have broad shoulders and, like I already said, I realize that I don't know what the hell I'm doing compared to some of you guys.

Bill Crowell

Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: The Story of Old 1600 Normal No. 110471

#2 Post by Phil Planck »

Bill

I enjoyed reading your story and am impressed that you have kept the car going since 1973. Sounds like the mechanicals are in pretty good shape, and that you are tending to the rust. You can expect some good advice from this forum as you go through your body repair. I would not call it "just a T5". It is a 356 Porsche, and you can paint it any color you like.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Phil Planck
Phil Planck

David Gensler
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Gensler »

Bill,
Great story. Enjoyed reading it very much. I think your head is in exactly the right place. Practical, fun, and doing it your way. Will look forward to reading future chapters.
Take care,
David Gensler
David Gensler

Martin Minnich
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Minnich »

The great part of your idea is that some span of years in the future, a new owner will be recounting how 'some previous owner had a hairbrained idea to paint it pearl yellow'. We'll all get a laugh out of it...if we're still around. :D
Marty Minnich
356C
E-Type Jag (for those who care!)
Arlington, Texas

Dan Lelchuk
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Lelchuk »

That is an amazing post count! :D

Love the early pictures. Thanks for sharing. I have a 60 cab and have some old pics from that time period (previous owner). Great to see the visual history.
1958 Speedster
1960 Cab
1973 911S Targa 

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting your story and photos of your 356. You asked for opinions...so here's mine. It's not "only a T5 coupe", its a valuable 356 that you have a lot of history with. Of course it's your car and you can paint it whatever color you want. But when you go to sell it someday I think you will discover that painting it "pearlescent yellow" and changing the interior is going to significantly reduce the market value of the car. My advice would be to choose a factory color you like that was used during the 1960 model year, and then choose a factory interior color that was used with that paint color.

Your car, your choice, my opinion.

Best regards,

Barry
William Crowell wrote:Since it's only a T5 coupe (not really the most desirable 356 in the first place) and not an original car anyway, I am not going to worry about originality and intend to paint it my favorite color: pearlescent yellow. I'm going to spray the body with Transtar "Direct To Metal" primer and then 3-stages of paint (bright yellow, then pearl, then clear). I'm going to do the interior myself, in some really offbeat contrasting color of leather. It will be a very personalized 356.

So whatsay? Do you think I have my head up my wazoo on this project? You can feel free to tell me if you think so.

William Crowell

#7 Post by William Crowell »

Thanks, 356 people, for the replies! I'm glad you enjoyed the story of old 110471.

Barry, I am going to consider your opinion carefully before I re-paint the car. I respect your knowledge about these cars, and I am sure you are right about the re-sale value. However, I rather doubt that I will ever sell the car. When I get too old to drive any longer, I'll probably give it to whichever one of my children seems the most interested in it and appears able to take care of it properly.

Thanks again for all your kind replies.

Bill

William Crowell

#8 Post by William Crowell »

I discovered the other day that both of the front strut reinforcement panels were rusty, so I cut them out and tried to duplicate them in 16 gauge, which I believe is thicker than the original metal. I found that the bottom of the strut reinforcement has a couple of layers. I built up the walls of the strut reinforcement panel after welding in both replacement bottom layers and attaching them to the edge of the floor pan with nice fat beads.

I used a lot of welding rod doing this. It is strong as hell! I ground down the welds on the outside of the strut reinforcement panel a little bit. You can tell it's been repaired if you look closely, but I don't really care.

Of course this is an unorthodox method of repair and will offend the purists, but I daresay it is quite a bit stronger than the original strut reinforcement panel.

The way I figure it, the strut reinforcement panels aren't weight-bearing panels, but they do help hold the front fenders of the car in position. If the strut reinforcement panels are rusted out, I should think that doing any bodywork on the front of the car would be a waste of time because the fenders will flex where they meet the cowl and the paint will fall off at that point.

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#9 Post by mikeschramm »

William, I love the history.. with keeping the car almost 40 years I doubt you are interested in re-sell value.

F. A. Glockler
356 Fan

#10 Post by F. A. Glockler »

William,
Great story.. My first 356 on my 40th birthday, 1984, the same year I first saw my current car. As addictive than any other substance known to man....
Attachments
40TH84.jpg

William Crowell

#11 Post by William Crowell »

I'm really happy with the way the front wheel wells turned out. I'm using Rustoleum rattle can primer and gloss black top coat on the underside of the body. The front wheel wells are so pretty that I'm not even going to undercoat them.

So I moved to the rear of the car. I quickly discovered that in order to remove the rear axle nuts, the wheels have to be on the ground with the emergency brake set or the wheel blocked! If you try to remove the axle nut with the wheels off the ground, all you will do is wind up the transverse torsion bar but the nut won't loosen.

The rear brake drums came off easily after I finally got the axle nuts off. No need for a brake drum puller, even though the rear brakes had been dragging a little. It is easier to pull the rear drums off the axle if you leave the wheel and tire on the drum, and pull on the tire.

Got the rear backing plates off. (Line up your new copper washers for the banjo fittings before you begin this job, as they are a somewhat unusual size that you probably can't find at the local auto parts store.)

Found a little rust at the bottom of both rear closing panels, and am in the process of cutting it out and replacing it with 16-gauge.

Also, there are a few rust-outs toward the rear of the pan, so I am going to fix those. Most of them I can just patch with welding rod. The pan is formed a little bit like an egg carton, only the depressions are not as deep . If I don't like the way the bottom of one of the pan depressions looks, I punch a 1/2" or 1" hole in some 16 gauge sheet metal with a Greenlee chassis punch and then weld the round punch-out into the pan depression. You have to drill a hole in the 16 gauge for the shank of the chassis punch, so I can then weld the punch-out all around the edges and in the middle. This makes the pan really strong.

I don't like the way the inside of the door pillars look. I see a little rust in there. I'm going to strip them down, flow welding rod into them wherever they look questionable, and then lead them.

Also, I'm cleaning the steering components, the front transverse tube, the engine and the transmission. They have a lot of grease and crud on them.

Next project is to build my own wiring harness. My old one was shot. I don't like the factory harness. I don't think the wires are big enough for a 6-volt system. I'm going to use wire that has cross-linked polymer insulation because that kind of wire has the most heat resistance. The brand is Belden XL-DUR, and I'm using 2 wire gauge sizes larger than the original (e.g., instead of 16 gauge I would use 14 gauge) I'm going to locate the fuse block in the front luggage compartment rather than in the passenger compartment. The fuse block has ring terminals rather than spade terminals; it uses modern ATO-type fuses (those old DIN-type fuses are for the birds, if you ask me), and all connections are soldered.

Hopefully then I can get the car running and put it back into my storage shed for a little while. I need to work on my other cars in the garage instead. There is always a car to fix!

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#12 Post by Barry Brisco »

William Crowell wrote:Next project is to build my own wiring harness. My old one was shot. I don't like the factory harness. I don't think the wires are big enough for a 6-volt system.
Hi Bill,

I admire the effort and expertise you are putting into your project! But I think you are going to get some comments regarding your opinion that the factory 6-volt harness wires are not "big enough". Everything I have heard from those much more expert than I is that the factory harness is very durable and more than adequate for the task. I know many 6 volt cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them using the original harness and they have had no wiring failures. Of course contacts have to be cleaned, but that is always the case.

Why exactly do you think that the factory 6-volt harness wires are not "big enough"?

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

William Crowell

#13 Post by William Crowell »

Barry, you're probably right. The stock wiring harness probably is fine, even for a 6-volt system. The insulation on my old wiring harness was dry, cracked and started to break off in some sections when I flexed the wires. That was my real reason for replacing it. I just figured that since I'm replacing it anyway, I had might as well try to improve it. After all, with a 6-volt system you get roughly twice the current draw that you would get on the same circuit in a 12-volt system, and Ohm's law provides that the voltage drop across a given resistance is directly proportional to the current draw. And as if that weren't bad enough, a given voltage drop represents twice the percentage of supply voltage loss in a 6-volt circuit than it does in a 12-volt circuit. So I just figure that when you want to avoid voltage drop, you should increase the wire size. It's probably not necessary, however. I guess you could say I am just doing it out of an abundance of caution.

And don't get me wrong, I love my 356, but I always thought that that fuse block they used under the instrument panel looked pretty dorky. I'd like to get rid of that thing. It's ugly, IMHO.

I have seen some wiring harnesses where, over a period of years, the current draw on some of the wires heats them up a little bit, and every time that happens some of the copper turns to copper oxide. Copper oxide is a relatively poor conductor, so the process accelerates over time. I have no evidence that that happened with my old 356 wiring harness, though. It was still working fine after 50 years, but I just didn't like the way the insulation looked. And I really don't like those DIN fuses!

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#14 Post by Barry Brisco »

Bill, obviously its your car and you can make whatever modifications you want to it. It all gets back to the old debate about what a "restoration" is and how far one should stray from the way the factory originally built the car in an attempt to make it more reliable, faster, safer, whatever. Go to far and the car loses its essential character. Many people (but not all) do make minor changes/modifications, and some make major modifications, and everyone has to decide for themselves how far they want to go in that direction. But I think it is important to keep in mind that it is a 50 year old car and too many "improvements" will usually decrease the market value.

If your harness has wires where the insulation is falling off, that is obviously a problem. But I do not think the harness needs "improvement", simply repair. My understanding is that the wire gauge Porsche used was more than adequate for the electrical demands the car places on it.

As to the fuse box, I would just accept that as the way the car was built, and that it works just fine.

Best regards,

Barry

William Crowell

#15 Post by William Crowell »

Barry, I really cannot disagree with you, primarily because I know that you know a lot more about these cars than I do.

However, I will respectfully disagree with you on one minor point: DIN fuses really don't work well. They have been a weak point in European cars for many years. I'll spare you all the boring details and the horror stories, but the primary problem is that their contact area with the fuse holder is too small and tentative, and any corrosion, such as occurs in wet weather, makes them quit working.

But I'm not going to disagree with you about anything else because then you guys would discover how dumb I am, and I hate it when that happens!