Pre A Speedster Blue Speedster Restoration/Photo History

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bill Tate
356 Fan

Re: Pre A Speedster Blue Speedster Restoration/Photo History

#61 Post by Bill Tate »

Chad,
It looks like you are doing a wonderful job putting it all back together. Over the last five years I have worked a similar process on 83946, a T2 Speedster. One question I have for which you may have the answer concerns the correct screws to use to fasten the tabs of the top to each end of frame that latches to the top. These tabs form the inner slot for the side curtains. The screw hole can be seen on the left end in the photo you posted. When I took mine apart sheet metal screws had been used by the PO when he installed a new top. What fasteners do you think are correct for these two tabs? When I took my top apart all the paint had been rubbed off the rear bow. On reassembly I added a second cloth cover for the rear bow even though only the top bow was originally cloth covered. I hope you get to drive yours a lot when completed it is a hoot unless it rains. Regards, Bill
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Carlos Alvarez
356 Fan

#62 Post by Carlos Alvarez »

Hello Chad,

I am sending you a picture of the back part of the tunnel so that you can see its actual form, it was destroyed and I want to restore it as it originally was. It would be of great help of you could send me the pictures and if you have the guides for the holes, the measurements, etc.

The VIN of my car is 81027.

Thank you for your help

Carlos
Attachments
DSC_7668.JPG

Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

#63 Post by Chad Comeau »

Lots of long night sorting out the little things. I know have working headlights, brake lights & blinkers. I filled the transaxle with transmission fluid then most of it ran out the right side of the axle....I have since fixed this issue. The starter motor turns when I hit the starter button! I hope to actually start my engine this week! Last night I fit the door panels and put the final adjustment on the hood. It is now starting to look like a car!

Speedster Hood Installed
SpeedsterHood.jpg
Drivers Side Door Panel
DSDoorPanel.jpg

Carlos: I will try take some pictures of the tunnel tonight and send them to you.
Chad T. Comeau

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#64 Post by Sterling Vaden »

Ah Ha! you are in luck. I just happen to have a pic of this area. The car is a '53 coupe. No dimensions, though the car is long gone. :(
DSC07505small.jpg
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Carlos Alvarez
356 Fan

#65 Post by Carlos Alvarez »

Sterling,

Thank you very much for the picture.

Carlos

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#66 Post by Chad Comeau »

The Speedster was delivered to the upholstery shop yesterday! Hopefully I will have it back in a couple weeks...my shop definitely feels empty without it! On the brighter side I really like how the car looks in the sunlight. It has not been in the sun for about 1-year since it has been sitting on jack stands in my garage! This week I plan on detailing the engine and fitting the bumper trim. If all goes as planned I will be driving the car by the end of the month!!

At the Upholstery Shop
Speedster-Moshers.jpg
Getting Some Sun!
Speedster-Driveway.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#67 Post by Chad Comeau »

Front bumper is together...what a pain in the a$$ it was to get the deco's to bend properly. I will work on the rear bumper tonight!
Speedster Front Bumper.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#68 Post by Bill Tate »

Chad, I think we all have that same challenge getting the last five inches to match the curve without splitting the end weld. I made up a sort of die in wood and used c clamps to bend it into the oak die. Time, it just takes more time than anyone would figure. I can report that it is a great joy when you get it completed to the point you can drive it and enjoy the time in the drivers seat.
Keep pressing on there is great joy at the end.
KTF, Bill
Bill Tate

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#69 Post by Chad Comeau »

Completed the rear bumper last night. The front bumper deco trim fits pretty well however the rear deco still fits crappy compared to how I would like it to fit. The bumpers are original to the car so it may be something that I have to live with or will go on the list to do list after the car is complete.
Speedster Rear Bumper Guard.jpg
Speedster Bumpers.jpg
Original Bumper Chalk
Speedster 221 Original Bumper.jpg

Stopped by the upholstery shop the other day and the carpets are almost done!
Speedster PS Carpet.jpg
Speedster Carpet Back.jpg
Worked on the dash padding backing plates. Only one original stud was left on the original backing plates so I had came up with an alternative. That alternative was carriage bolts and JB Weld!
Speedster Dash Trim.jpg
Speedster Backing Plate.jpg
Speedster Backing Plate.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
Tonight I plan to work on the engine! My to do list is as follows, adjust valves, install rubber trim, install sport exhaust & clean! I do have the original 1600 Super engine that matches the car however that engine is not ready to be installed. The engine that is going into the car is a 1600 Super (83264) engine so it will be somewhat correct.
Speedster Engine 83264.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#70 Post by Bill Tate »

Chad, I wrapped my dash strips with cotton felt to provide the correct level of padding and hide the bolt heads. Felt should not fail with time as many plastics do. The plastic padding made the dash too puffy in my opinion.
KTF, Bill
Bill Tate

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#71 Post by Jim Karaba »

Looking good. One question about the carpeting, are you not going back with the aluminum trim strips at the door openings?

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#72 Post by Chad Comeau »

Hi Bill: Great idea about the felt..I will ask my upholster what he thinks of that option.

Jim: I do plan on installing the aluminum trim strips. The upholster has to cut back the carpet about 1" or so before the trim strips are installed. There are also aluminum trim strips that go on the front and back of the door opening.
Chad T. Comeau

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#73 Post by Jim Karaba »

Yes, the ones on the front and back are the ones I was refering. I think they look good on the early cars. They add some contrast to the carpet and you instantly know you are looking at an earlier car when you see these.

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#74 Post by Chad Comeau »

Since I don't have an engine stand to fire the speedster engine, I have decided to install my speedster engine in my coupe to work out the bugs. I hope to have the swap done tonight....
Speedster Engine.jpg
Speedster DS Threshold.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#75 Post by Chad Comeau »

So close to having the interior completed....
IMG_1814.JPG
Test Fitting the Side Curtains
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG
Chad T. Comeau