Pre A Speedster Blue Speedster Restoration/Photo History

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

Re: Pre A Speedster Blue Speedster Restoration/Photo History

#46 Post by Chad Comeau »

The speedster is now wet....with brake fluid.

Rear Brake-T
Brake-T.jpg
I couldn't help installing the 16" Wheels that I have. Wow those wheels are narrow!
Speedster w-16's.jpg
This weekend I plan on replacing the tunnel fuel line and working on some odds and ends. The goal is have the car ready for the Niagara Region's 50th anniversary party on June 16th!
Chad T. Comeau

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#47 Post by Jim Liberty »

When you get ready for tires for those 16s, I suggest Avon 165HR16 Turbosteel radials. They make a huge difference in drivability.

...................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Peter Taplin
356 Fan

#48 Post by Peter Taplin »

Hi Chad,
Looks like a great project, I will be following your updates with interest, keep them coming! Love the Spyder brake upgrade!!! 8)

Peter Taplin
---------------
'55 Continental 53833
'55 Pre-A #53833
Looking for my engine #35 270.... Are you out there?

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#49 Post by Bill Tate »

Chad, Do you have the original "PORSCHE" dash script?
It looks like you are doing a great job. Bill
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#50 Post by Chad Comeau »

Jim:
Thanks for the advice on the 16" wheels. BTW it was nice to meet you at the PRCC last October.

Peter & Bill:
Thanks for the kind words, like most projects this one has been filled with ups and downs. I have set a date to get the car running by the end of May. It may be a stretch but the date is set and I am working towards it. Below are pictures of the Porsche dash script. The solid color one in the front is what came with the car when I purchased it and believed to be original. It has studs on the back that require it to be bolted to the dash. The 2-tone one is a repro that I purchased from Stoddard. It has simple clips the fasten it to the dash. I hope to use the original one however it requires a little straightening on one side.
Porsche-Dash-Script.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Carlos Alvarez
356 Fan

#51 Post by Carlos Alvarez »

Hi Chad,

Very good job!!! congratulations!!!!

Do yo have more pictures of the tunnel?

I am restoring a Pre A Speedster.

Thank you,

Carlos

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#52 Post by Dick Roth »

Beautiful color and great looking work! What makes this a pre-A? My brother owned one, 1955 Chassis 80064, and the one distinguishing feature I recall was the greater distance from the back of the cockpit to the rear decklid leading edge than the A model which I presently own.
RR

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#53 Post by Chad Comeau »

Hi Carlos;
Let me know if you would like to see a certain section of the tunnel and I can take some. What is the VIN on the one that you are restoring?

Dick:
80064 is considered a 54 Pre A Speedster. Porsche produced 200 speedster's in 54 and they were all cab bodies that were modified into Speedster's. Since Porsche only made 200 speedster's in 54 they are rare! The first 200 speedster's were basically prototypes with little changes being made as ramped up production. Beginning in 55 the Pre A Speedster went into production (no more cab bodies). The dash layout is different with Pre A Speedster's compared to A Speedsters. There is no gas gauge with a Pre A Speedster, you get a measuring stick instead! Pre A Speedster have a key and push button starter, A cars have a key. Pre A Speedster's were sold with 16" wheels, A Speedster's were sold with 15" wheels. The Rocker panel on a Pre A Speedster is longer and curved, the A cars have a flat rocker panel. Pre A cars have a single mount transaxle, the A cars have a dual mount set up. Most of the early Pre A Speedster's have a Low Bow top, the A cars generally have a high bow top. Lots of other little things. The horn grille opening is slightly closer to the headlight than A Cars...lots of other little things!

Chad
Chad T. Comeau

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#54 Post by Dick Roth »

Thanks Chad for the comprehensive tutorial. You jogged my memory with that detail. Maybe that '54 was worth the $1500.00 we scraped together to buy it!
Best of luck with that lovely car. Richard

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#55 Post by Chad Comeau »

With the help of Jim Hohensee I installed the High Bow frame and the windshield. The high bow frame is a little tight in the rear center of the body. The windshield fits great, luckily the cowl did not have to be repaired. All original holes lined up perfectly! Two more weeks then the car will be shipped off to the upholster!
Speedster Top Fitting.jpg
A couple friends stopped over today to check out the Speedster progress. We of course had to go for a quick ride!

59-Coupe, 57-Speedster, 59-Coupe
CoupeSpeedsterCoupe.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

#56 Post by Rafik Dous »

Great work Chad, I am following it closely
Just wondering why the high bow frame. Shouldn't a Pre A have a low bow?

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#57 Post by Chad Comeau »

Hi Rafik;
I have been watching the progress of your car as well! It has certainly crossed my mind as to why I have a high bow vs. a low bow. The only thing I can think of is that my Pre A Speedster was part of the last batch of Pre A Speedsters produced. I have vin 81221 the last pre a is 81234. My car was delivered 1/4/56 and so was 81234. Maybe Porsche decided to transition from low bow to high bow near the end of Pre A production run, maybe Hanz grabbed a high bow instead of a low bow who knows! I do have a picture of my car in 62 and as you can see it has a high bow on it. The other interesting thing with my frame is the color. It is gray vs. the usual tan colors (see picture).

1962 Picture
Fran Jan 1962.jpg
Original High Bow Color
HighBowOriginalColor.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

#58 Post by Larry Wilson »

zzzzzzzzzz
Last edited by Larry Wilson on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Wilson
PCA since May 1, 1961
Registry member #4672

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#59 Post by Chad Comeau »

I test fit the engine last week and put it on all fours for the first time in a year! Everything went in very easy. I set the top on the frame to get a visual of the contrasting tan & blue colors.
SpeedsterTopGround.jpg
This weekend I will continue to chase my soft brake pedal install the hood and engine lid and tie up loose ends..Getting closer!!
Chad T. Comeau

Larry Wilson
356 Fan

#60 Post by Larry Wilson »

Chad Comeau wrote:I test fit the engine last week and put it on all fours for the first time in a year! Everything went in very easy. I set the top on the frame to get a visual of the contrasting tan & blue colors.
SpeedsterTopGround.jpg
This weekend I will continue to chase my soft brake pedal install the hood and engine lid and tie up loose ends..Getting closer!!
Lookin' good!
Larry Wilson
PCA since May 1, 1961
Registry member #4672