Pre A Speedster Blue Speedster Restoration/Photo History

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bill Tate
356 Fan

Re: Pre A Speedster Blue Speedster Restoration/Photo History

#76 Post by Bill Tate »

Chad,
Side curtains look great but you need the top completed to confirm how they will fit in the slot as you close the door. When fitted do the side curtains stop the top from flapping when keeping up with traffic on the interstate? Enjoy the test. Best of luck on the details and suggest keeping beach towels under the seat in case of rain.
Bill
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#77 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Chad:
Great pictorial journey on your car that you have posted so far. Ironically, after all the time and money I put into my top, side curtains, etc. they rest on a single bed in a spare bedroom. I drive mine with no top for maximum airness and absolutely love it!

However, I always drive with one eye to the weather. As Bill Tate correctly pointed out, the tops provide poor protection - they leak profusely. I have found that they flap at high speed unless you put a cardboard insert to dampen the vibration. I say fahgettaboutit - drive topless!

Cheers,
=rds

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#78 Post by Greg Scallon »

I don't want to hijack Chad's super cool thread but I'll mention that my experience with the top and side curtains up has been excellent. When I drive on the freeway with just the top up, the top is blowing, fluttering and generally making a bunch of noise inside the car. With the curtains in place however, all of the air pressure issues are gone and the top is completely still providing a really comfortable ride. Whenever I'm going on long journeys on the freeway, I always use the top and curtains. (and a perfect curtain fit doesn't seem to be necessary by the way.)

Now rain and wet is a completely different story. :-)

Good luck with the resto Chad. It's looking awesome.
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

#79 Post by Chad Comeau »

Greg, Ron & Bill;

Thanks for the input and feedback on the top and side curtains. I absolutely plan on driving the Speedster and I can't wait to experience all of the top issues or non issues this summer! I do however like how Speedster's look with their tops up...it gives them a sinister look!

The Speedster has come a long way since I first laid my eyes on it.
Pre A Speedster Garage.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

alan king
356 Fan

#80 Post by alan king »

Wow chad,
Beautiful Car. Nice history associated with the car. I'm not understanding the Rack. Is that your doing?
Do you have any plans for construction? From a time line perspective, how long before it is back on the road, or should I say running!! I swear, this 356registry has helped me so much. Looks like you already have gone thru this. Very Interesting. Love the photos. Keep them coming.

Alan KIng

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#81 Post by Chad Comeau »

Hi Alan;

You can find plans to build the rack at the following website:
http://www.emorymotorsports.com/the-rack
It took the better part of an afternoon to build and cost about $500 in material.
It worked great and allowed me to easily move the car around my garage and turn it on its side. The speedster will be on the road and driving this month. The "sorting" process will begin next week! Let me know if you have any questions!

Chad
1054.JPG
1053.JPG
Chad T. Comeau

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#82 Post by Steve Proctor »

Ron, yes the tops do "drum" at highway speeds. Can you say more about the cardboard fix to attenuate that drumming? Here in AZ, you must have the top up at least some of the time on longer drives or you fry.

Thx,

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Randy Kaplin
356 Fan

#83 Post by Randy Kaplin »

Having experienced the top flapping issue on my 55 Speedster at highway speeds and on windy days at speed it felt like the top might rip right off the cars. In preparation for driving the Copperstate 1000 this year I purchased some sliding plexiglass windows from Russ at Fibersteel because of the unknowns associated with the Arizona weather and the driving around Flagstaff which could get rather chilly. I will have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how nice these side curtains are made and how superior they are to my stock ones. The windows completely eliminated any buffeting of the top and provided the option to slide them open to let air in without any buffeting of the top occurring. When we started out from Flagstaff on day 2 of the rally (32 degree weather) the environment inside the car was warm and toasty with no unpleasant wind entry and we were definitely traveling at highway speeds plus. Fortunately we didn't encounter any rain and I am sure there would have been some water entry issues (as with any car with side curtains) but for cool weather driving or top up driving to eliminate the sun from beating down on you, these sliding window side curtains are second to none.

Randy
Attachments
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#84 Post by Chad Comeau »

Randy: Your car looks great..I like the fact that you drive it! I have seen those side windows advertised and have wondered how well they work. What VIN is your Pre A?

I stopped by the upholstery shop on Monday and I was pleased to see that the top was in the final stages of being fitted. I can't wait to get the speedster back home to begin the sorting process! On the plus side I successfully installed the Speedster engine in my coupe and it started right up after I replaced the Original BOSCH coil with a NAPA 6V coil, The Napa coil is also painted black right of the box. I guess I can remove the NAPA sticker and apply the original BOSCH sticker that I have :wink: I plan on installing the Speedster engine in the Speedster Saturday night! I am still on target to officially show the Speedster at our Niagara Region 50th anniversary on the 16th! The second owner of my Speedster will be there and I am sure he will be thrilled to see the car again!!

Speedster Engine-Coupe Engine
Background another 914, 1950 John Deere MC Crawler, 1949 John Deere M Tractor
Speedster Engine Coupe Engine.jpg
Speedster Top Being Fitted!!
Speedster Top On.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Randy Kaplin
356 Fan

#85 Post by Randy Kaplin »

Chad:

Vin on my '55 pre-A speedster is 80570. Bought the car three years ago from John Willhoit when he was selling it for a friend. Car was a great solid driver when I bought it (came with a Maestro engine, Harry Pellow's S90 book cover engine). After a bare metal restoration I cringed every time I drove it, just waiting for that first chip or imperfection to the paint job. I did put a 3M bra on the front to protect the area that was chipped so badly before the the repaint.

After driving it in the Copperstate 1000 .... the paint is no longer perfect and I can go back to enjoying the car and not worrying about maintaining a perfect paint job on the car. The car made a believer out of a number of Shelby GT350s on the trip when it came to handling on the backroads of Arizona.

These cars are great to drive and take you back to the days when cars were basic transportation without any frills (therefore much less to go wrong on the car) and understandable to the point you can fix them yourself in a pinch.

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I have enjoyed mine .... the secret is to drive it and enjoy it.

Randy

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#86 Post by Chad Comeau »

It is back! Now I am trying to get it ready for the show this weekend!

356's are so small...my 4-year old looks like an adult in this car! (seats have not been installed yet)
Speedster-Chase.jpg
Speedster-Interior.jpg
Speedster-DriveWay1.jpg
Chad T. Comeau

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#87 Post by Chad Comeau »

Well I am happy to say that the Speedster made it to our 50th anniversary party at Watkins Glen. The weather was great and the Speedster looked great on the lawn at the Glenora Inn. The second of the car got a chance to be reunited with the car after many years! He shared some great stories about driving the car back in the 60's! My favorite story was him bringing home a Christmas tree with the top down in the Winter!
Speedster Glenora1.jpg
Second Owner Fran McAllister
Speedster Fran 2012.jpg
Fran & Speedster 1962
Fran Jan 1962.jpg
Fran & Speedster 1960
Fran 1960 Speedster.jpg

Chad and Fran
Speedster Chad & Fran.jpg
Now that the car is complete I have to begin to sort it! The current sorting list is as follows:
Align
Shine down and reverse light not working
Starts great but does not shut off..(need starter switch rebuilt?)
Horn does not work (double check wiring)
Chad T. Comeau

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#88 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Congratulations, Chad.
Will you bring it to the Glen in September?

Chad Comeau
356 Fan

#89 Post by Chad Comeau »

Hi Vic;
Yes I plan to have it down at Watkins Glen this September. I am planning on participating in the Glenora Run on Friday. Hopefully by then it will be completely sorted! The transaxle you rebuilt shifts perfectly!

Chad
Chad T. Comeau

David Gensler
356 Fan

#90 Post by David Gensler »

Chad,
That car is just beautiful. Makes me want to paint a car Speedster Blue! Has been fun watching the progress and history.
DG
David Gensler