Twin Grille Roadster 89809,

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

Twin Grille Roadster 89809,

#1 Post by Rusty Ferrell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Decided to replace the wiring harness on the above Roadster, since it is a 62 the sending unit is on the bottom of the tank. The tank isn't in good condition and as such I want to replace it with a new tank, but no bottom sender tanks are being produced. Question, before I order the wiring harness from YNZ I need to determine if it will have a top or bottom sender. I don't see the down side of having a conventional top sender even though it may be incorrect for this build. Any comments, considerations would be appreciative.
I personally think a bottom sender is a sorry design.
Rusty

David Jones
356 Fan
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Twin Grille Roadster 89809,

#2 Post by David Jones » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Putting it on the top is the sensible option and should make no difference to the price as under normal circumstances the sender would be out of sight anyway if it were correct, so being out of sight under the tank cover comes to the same thing for concours judging unless they lift the tank cover during judging. On the other hand you can always go to these folks and buy an unoriginal one.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... cat184.htm
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Twin Grille Roadster 89809,

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm

You might want to check with a few judges if you plan on showing the car. I seem to remember reading that points not taken off for top sender tank in a 62 any more. Then question is paint new tank black like bottom sender or grey like top sender tank?
1965 356C There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.