Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
M Penta
356 Fan

Re: Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

#736 Post by M Penta »

Yes, it does look great, really incredible work.

Beautiful engine man!

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#737 Post by Jack Walter »

A professional photographer came over yesterday to get some shots of my engine before it goes in the car.
Here's a teaser shot he sent me before he had to leave town for an assignment.
Attachments
carrera engine rear view.jpg

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#738 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks Adam! The older I get the more limitations I'm discovering...

I appreciate that M Penta, Thank you!

Nice photo Jack, would make for a great poster!

Progress is slowing up a bit as its now running into real money to keep it going versus years past when forward progress just hinged on my "free" labor. :( Nothing to do but chip away at it a dime at a time now.
Last months budget was spent getting the engine milled to accept that 4-cam housing. Below are a few shots of it with more photos and details here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--M ... 6&start=96
Thanks for stopping by!
Justin
Attachments
While I waited for Bill to machine the block I began repairing and prepping my old GT seat shells for upholstery. Fabricating the steel reinforcement panels here.
While I waited for Bill to machine the block I began repairing and prepping my old GT seat shells for upholstery. Fabricating the steel reinforcement panels here.
4-cam generator stand atop its new home.
4-cam generator stand atop its new home.
Modifying the bottom of the housing to clear the block was next. Did a quick long block mock up to dream a little.
Modifying the bottom of the housing to clear the block was next. Did a quick long block mock up to dream a little.
Install mock up to see if the lid was going to clear. Looks like it will so far but a lot of variables yet.
Install mock up to see if the lid was going to clear. Looks like it will so far but a lot of variables yet.
very rewarding to see it in the car but it was soon time to break it back down and get back to work. Thanks for looking! Justin
very rewarding to see it in the car but it was soon time to break it back down and get back to work. Thanks for looking! Justin

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#739 Post by Steve Raucher »

Justin,
Need to talk to you about possible turn signal socket restoration for T2 Speedster.
Thanks,
Steve
650 483-2408
steve.raucher@yahoo.com

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#740 Post by Justin Rio »

Steve, All trim related restoration should be sent to Victor Miles. Thats who I use.

No where near the progress on my car that I was hoping for after paint. I'm at the stage now where its at least a thousand dollar bill to move forward in any given direction on it so I've got to just go a dime at a time. I have however been developing the lower closing tins for my 4-cam housing conversion. The progress on that has been very slow as well since most of my time has been spent finishing out the rebody on my coupster project. Since that is getting very close to completion I've carved out a bit more time on the lower tins. Here are a few more recent progress shots.

Thanks for looking!
Justin

If you'd like to see more the coupster build link is here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... 1356#38272

Polo engine build: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--M ... =192#38275
Attachments
After several attempts I finally have some lower closing panels I can live with.
After several attempts I finally have some lower closing panels I can live with.
Reskinning is just about complete with only the right front fender to go.
Reskinning is just about complete with only the right front fender to go.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#741 Post by Bil Brown »

Justin.....I can`t find an email address for you, email me at: porschebill356@msn.com I have a pic you might enjoy.....Bill Brown
Bill Brown

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#742 Post by Justin Rio »

Bill, Thanks once again for sending those old shots of Craig Stevenson. He was a good guy and an amazing resource for 356 authenticity info. He is still very much missed.

Been a long while since I've updated this old thread and at this rate I'm pretty certain I'll be dead before its finished especially with all the goings on in the world as of late but I'm at peace with that. I'll keep going until I'm gone...
The car is still moving forward though only intermittently as my spare time and money allows. Begin catching this post back starting with the headliner redo.
zzzz60027.jpg
zzzz60027.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1937 times
I had installed this new headliner (see previous page) from A.I. a few years ago but the hole perforation pattern and the initial tan color was wrong. I began dying it white but I still wasn't happy so I became resistant to finishing it out and went onto other things. A while later Michael Doyle contacted me to let me know that he had finally finished development on his headliner offerings with the proper diamond hole perforation pattern and color. I went ahead and placed an order with him. Even though I wasn't satisfied with the material of this first attempt it was still a little painful to begin tearing out a brand new liner.

zzz60097.jpg
zzz60097.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 1937 times
Michaels offering going in working from the center outward. I was loving that calming color already...
zzz60110.jpg
zzz60110.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1937 times
Sides and sail panel in. Then it was onto the pillar wraps.
zzz60111.jpg
zzz60111.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1937 times
Then it was onto locating all the holes for the visors and mirror.
zzz60140.jpg
zzz60140.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1937 times
Now I had the finished presentation I was after. If you're getting ready to install one in your car I highly recommend you getting in touch with Michael.
More to come....
Thanks for looking.

Justin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#743 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Welcome back, Justin. Good to hear from you again.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#744 Post by Bil Brown »

Lookin good Justin!
Bill Brown

Gordon White
356 Fan

#745 Post by Gordon White »

Great to hear from you Justin
You do quality work

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#746 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Vic, very much appreciated.

Thanks Bill, a little bit at a time...

Hey Gordon thank you, nice to see that you're still enjoying that beautiful coupe you built.

Installing the fail safe steering coupler from Precision Matters.
zzzz60240.jpg
zzzz60240.jpg (48.74 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
I had installed a rubber coupler I made back in the late 80's from a piece of conveyer belt and while I had no issues or worries about its integrity
zzzz60171.jpg
zzzz60171.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1822 times
I really liked the idea of an encapsulated fail safe housing so I went ahead and purchased the kit offered by Ron at P.M.
zzzz60241.jpg
zzzz60241.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1822 times
Fortunately I had a few spare couplers so I didn't have to break down my OG coupler to build this new one. The old coupler will go into my "stock" storage box next to the old OG VW Type 1 steering box originally fitted to this car. New coupler fully assembled and ready to install.
zzzz60565.jpg
zzzz60565.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
I of course hit a small snag.
zzzz60566.jpg
zzzz60566.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Right before I could get the relief notch for the bolt to line up with the clamp the end of the shank bottomed out against the puck.
zzzz60567.jpg
zzzz60567.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Easiest thing to do would be to grind off a few Mm's off the end of the shaft but I hate the idea of modifying original parts to work with aftermarket stuff so I disassembled it and ran it over to my machinist to put a hole in the center. OG part saved and the puck is a little lighter. Win/Win.
zzzz60561.jpg
zzzz60561.jpg (91.5 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Back from the machine shop
zzzz60562.jpg
zzzz60562.jpg (79.59 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Problem solved.
zzzz60563.jpg
zzzz60563.jpg (68.78 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
Fully assembled with steering shaft
zzzz60564.jpg
zzzz60564.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
I'll hammer the locks over once I'm 100% sure it won't have to be adjusted or taken apart for whatever reason again.
Thanks for looking!
Justin

Mark Groethe
356 Fan

#747 Post by Mark Groethe »

Looking Good Justin....
I will have to finally make it out to the shop now that the Pandemic is winding down.
Mark

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#748 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks Mark, we'll see what the future holds but its nice too see at least for now.

New wiring harness and fuse block.
zzzz1.jpg
zzzz1.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
New harness from YnZ's. I've wanted one for this project for years
zzzz2.jpg
zzzz2.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Did a side by side comparison with the original just to be sure it was all there and a match.
zzzz3.jpg
zzzz3.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Original fuse block will stay with its harness and will eventually go into the crate that contains the rest of stock Original parts that belong to this car but not used this time around. Before I pack it away I need it for a direct reference to wire up the new fuse block.
zzzz4.jpg
zzzz4.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
ordered that new fuse block that takes the spade fuses
zzzz5.jpg
zzzz5.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Its a really nice piece and I'm glad I ordered it. Again the old block came in very handy as a reference.
zzzz6.jpg
zzzz6.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Harness install. All the leads were taped tightly together in preparation for the "slip throughs".
zzzz7.jpg
zzzz7.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Begin by feeding the tunnel and trunk leads in first through the "big sheath" under the trunk floor at the fuse block mount. I've had the original harness in and out several times through the years so I had some good first hand experience in preparation for this final install. On an A car this is really the only way to go. Especially if you don't want to disturb the fuse block if its intact.
zzzz8.jpg
zzzz8.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
As the wires accumulate out through the bottom of the sheath it all has to make a quick left turn which can get pretty hard on both the harness and installer as the jockeying around progresses. It would be so much easier on everyone one involved had the factory made this shroud removable. Oh, well that's what we've got.
zzzz9.jpg
zzzz9.jpg (64.3 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
The cloth sheathing at the base of the branches seem a little vulnerable to me.
zzzz10.jpg
zzzz10.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
So a little reinforcement with some hockey tape was added for my peace of mind.
More on this later...

Thanks for looking!
Justin

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

#749 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Hi Justin,
Very nice to hear from you again .And Lovely project getting beautiful each time I see your postings.
On the Carrera cooling unit ,I can supply you the generator pulley extension shaft, special design pulley bolt and air cone which covers them
so you can reach to the crank pulley .
Also
On the 4 cam cooling shroud ,You will need to extend the air guide wings and U channel air guides so air does not scape top of the engine.

We do these modifications on our 4 cam 616 engine cooling .Original 4 cam shroud if not modified in these areas will not work properly.

If you have any questions email or call
214 460 0144
kuzu356@aol.com
4 cam cooling
Attachments
P1010046_LI.jpg
P1010046_LI.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 1665 times
carrera cooling for 616_LI.jpg
carrera cooling for 616_LI.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1665 times

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#750 Post by Justin Rio »

Hello Ibrahim, Thanks very much.
Your offerings are really beautiful and I will definitely keep those shaft extension components in mind though unlike the 616 motors your building these for ...
carrera 3106.JPG
carrera 3106.JPG (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1623 times
the final position of my generator stand on my Polo engine may vary enough to where I'll have to have to fabricate something one off. I was just playing around here some time ago to just see how much it was going to come up short. I understand a little better now that the lower pully position on a 911 (this motor included) sets it out a bit further than I was thinking. One option I'm kicking around is to have new generator body machined to the needed length which will ultimately be just a dummy that houses the bearing ends the input shaft and will instead run a micro alternator mounted down lower on the motor. I like the idea of running an alternator better anyway. I'm very close to assembling a final long block so once I have that I'll know better where I'm headed with it.
carrera 3310.JPG
carrera 3310.JPG (3.45 MiB) Viewed 1623 times
As for the lower tin and air guide; the right side of the motor could not of lined up any better and will be very straight forward.
carrera 3308.JPG
carrera 3308.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 1623 times
The left side is of course a completely different story. Especially ensuring ample air flow makes it over that rear cylinder and head. I began modifications and a few preliminary ducting ideas a long while back but like the generator issue all of these accessory builds are on hold until the long block is built. Then I'll have a clearer picture and can commit to a final design. I may be picking your brain when I reach that point if you don't mind. Anyway thanks again Ibrahim and will definitely be in touch.
Justin