Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Antonio Garcia
356 Fan
Tag: Meanwhile, back at the farm...

#46 Post by Antonio Garcia »

NICE WORK! :D

Justin, I got really busy last week and I will be going fishing this weekend with some friends but we will have to try to get together next week. I am really looking forward to seeing you do your battery box since I also have to do some repair/replacement work on my battery box. :wink:
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein
'64 356 Signal-Red SC Coupe
'66 Early 3-Gauge 912
'65 VW Beetle
'65 VW Based Speedster Replica

Justin Rio
356 Fan

LAST OF THE WELDING ON RIGHT DOOR AND ROCKER!

#47 Post by Justin Rio »

Now that the rocker panel is in its final welded position I could go back to adding some weld to the deficiency on the front leading edge of the right door to close up the gap. I took this afternoon to get it out of the way.

Welding of both the door and rocker is finally complete! So Happy!! This was alot of hand filing and about 7 trial fitments of the door. Its about 90% there; will probably need some more slight filing once I'm into full bodywork mode but the welding is done!

There are several nicks and slight irregularities but I think most of these will be lost in primer and repeated block sands.

In first coat of primer. Close but not perfect yet. Especially the upper part of the corner. Will get there; at least its all steel at the moment.

With this welding out of the way I can push forward on the battery box floor and repair.

Thanks for reading this!!
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

BATTERY BOX

#48 Post by Justin Rio »

This is a shot of the underside in '88 freshly blasted clean. You can just make out our battery floor patch panel my father and I put in.

Wasn't a horrible job but the seam welds all way around meant that it could not stay.

In '99 while in process of longitudinals; I also replaced our old patch panel with a standard 356 vendor battery floor. My initial intention was to do a full replacement instead of a center patch to make a cleaner job of it. Upon closer inspection of my new floor I realized that the two strengthening ribs that were rolled in on both sides were not even close in quality and detail as compared to the originals that were still in place.

Here are the ribs I'm talking about. I thank God we did not cut past these in '88. I then made the decision to make a center patch panel out of my new floor. I put it in just like the longitudinals with raw flanged edges and spot welded detail. I thought I was finished with this. BUT You know how you're always learning something new about these cars. I later realized that the 1956 and early 1957 356AT1 battery box floors were flat in the center with no middle rib pressed in; which also means no tow took either. Instead there are two drain holes front and rear with round covers or shields spot-welded over them. If you look at any 356 parts vendor offering 356A battery box floors you will notice that they only offer the later 356AT2 version with the center rib pressed in.

Here is my old replacement T2 versioned floor I just recently cut back out. A while back I tried shrinking this rib out flat again but the metal was now stretched and was left very wrinkly and wavey. This is such a simple patch beacuse it is flat that I decided to do it one more time. Third times a charm right!

I have this Perfect original lower flange section for the front wall. Original spot welds and details are intact making for a seamless repair here. Another great donor part from my "coupster" which will have an oil tank in front so this piece was gone anyway.

The inside of this new piece has a boundry or profile stain of the original floor so I'm making the front of my template based on it.

Got the correct shape and profile of the original floor.

Profiled edge is slightly different from my old repro floor.

Here is a photo from my 1956 workshop manual. You can see that the floor is flat and has two drain holes with caps front and rear. You can just make out the front one under the "6" in the picture.

Here is waht this caps looks like up close. Another valuable part from the coupster. This was the forward positioned cap originally. It fits right up under and next to the front wall flange so part of it was cut off and fitted this way by the factory.The rear cap was of course long gone! Not a vendor offered item so I'm making one. My steel blank is pictured next to my original above. Will post its fabrication shortly.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Drain hole cover

#49 Post by Justin Rio »

Rough shape in progress. It took several reheats and some hammering to get the final shape I was after.

Final shape with drain hole filed open. Looking at the original The bowl is not straight down. There is a slight decline to it; kind of like a very small hood scoop with the drain hole positioned at the lowest point to encourage the moisture to leave.

Underside shot with holes punch in the flanges to be pug-welded onto the floor.

Drain hole ended up a little bigger then the original but its all close enough for Government work!
Thanks for reading this!

Justin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#50 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Justin, you're amazing! I never saw one of those "hats" because here in Michigan they were GONE!

Shane Balkowitsch
356 Fan

Getting her DONE!

#51 Post by Shane Balkowitsch »

Dear Justin, I have to say you are moving through the metalwork at a good pace, looks great, thanks for sharing the process with the rest of us, I wish you the best of luck getting the old girl back on the road in tip top shape.

Thanks for sharing,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
356 Registry Member #: 31354
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72623#72623

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#52 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Vic,

Thank you for your nice post and also taking your time to read mine! What is really amazing is that this little part survived all these years and was intact enough to give me all the info I needed to make a copy. These are definitely items that were not long for this world between water and battery acid. Thank you again!

Best regards, Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#53 Post by Justin Rio »

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the encouragement! The pictures of your car in paint and in final assembly are keeping me going! Thank you for sharing!

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

REAR WALL PERIMETER FLANGE REPAIR

#54 Post by Justin Rio »

The rear wall is in pretty good shape but the lowest 3/4 inch of it is very thin from old rust. You can see where I blew holes in it while welding in the second floor.

Starting my paper template to create a full 3/4 inch perimeter with mounting flange repair strip.

Here is a bit of 356A trivia. That is an original perimeter strip from an early '58 T2 coupe. Reutter made it better then a full 1 inch wider then the earlier T1 version. I thought all 356A's were the same here until yesterday. This again explains why some repop parts wont fit.

Took my bending brake and made the mounting flange. getting it centered here to make my next two bends.

next 2 bends complete;basic shape is there.

Trimmed the verticle wall down to 3/4 inch. Rough trial fitments begin. Getting ready to make the last 2 bends around the corner to make it complete. I'll have to remove the spring tabs on both sides first to get a clean job out of it.
Working on that now!
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

REAR WALL PART2

#55 Post by Justin Rio »

I could not get my drill into the recessed space to get at the spot-welds holding the spring tabs. I had to settle for cutting the lower section of them off to get them out of the way. oh well, whats one more thing to fix. Picture above also shows the last rusty remains of the strip I'm replacing.

The last two bends have been made at both ends to finish off the factory joint seam all the way to the floor as originally.

Fits fine. Just need to cut off the excess and weld.

Second part of the rear flange repair is beginning. These pieces will also have all the factory joints and weld seams as originally.

Welding it in place! This was my big accomplishment for today. Sorry if this entry was boring. Just small detail stuff today.

Thanks!

Justin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#56 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Not boring at all, Justin.
It's downright encouraging.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Thank you Vic!

#57 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you! I'm honored to have THE Vic Skirmants Following my posts!

Best regards, Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Rear wall flange repair continued

#58 Post by Justin Rio »

Leading flanged corner is fully welded and dressed. I repaired the original spring tabs, cleaned all the thick rust from under them and reinstalled.

Angled edge is left raw down next to the new floor when it goes in.

Recessed wall section repair complete! I have lots of time spent metal finishing here!

Left side rear wall flange section intalled.

I luckily had that original t2 lower flange section for detail reference here. The joint seam in this corner wraps partially underneath with the leading edge being left raw. The forward portion then gets seam welded to the edge of the other side. I even gas welded here so it would look the "Part".

Have to address the right side next. This repair as usual is taking more time then anticipated.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#59 Post by Justin Rio »

Got the right side flange repair completed. This finishes off the back wall. Moving onto the front wall now.

Intitial trimming and rough fitment begins for my new lower donor wall/flange.

Fitting really nicely. The beauty of original parts!

New piece fitted and tack welded in the corners.

Just have to weld and metal finish the span of the front wall. Not really looking forward to that.

The full perimeter is set and ready! Time to build by cardboard template.

Template in rough, initial form. Lots of trimming, adding, fit and refitting to get this thing to shape.

This is where I left it as of today. I Took a break from welding and grinding this afternoon to work on this template. I needed the change! I'll get back on the welding tomorrow. FUN!
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Floor Fabricated

#60 Post by Justin Rio »

After many test fits along with adding and subtracting cardboard; my template is in final shape! Finally ready to move onto metal now.

I have my new floor! Got the two basic bends done but they are a little tight;had to relax them down a bit. Also mocking up my little "hats".

Test fitting begins. I had the replacement front wall flange tack welded into position earlier. It was very useful while I was making the template but once I moved into metal it became a real hassle to feed the new floor in from the top while at the same time trying to wiggle it into position. I still had some fine trimming and adjustments to do so it was binding up. I decided it would be much easier to cut my tack welds and remove the front flange while getting the floor in final shape.

Now all I had to do was just slide it in and out from the bottom. So much easier!

It Fits! Front and back perimeter seam from old original floor to new floor line up perfectly. Alot of patients and hand filing here. Should be a seamless transition once its all stitched together.

Spent alot of time shaping the recess area of the new floor to fit the contour of the rear wall so all the joints would be really tight. Even the thickness of the spring tabs got in the way to allow a fitment from the top. To keep these joints tight I needed to be able to fit it in from the bottom.

-side view-

Trimming on the floor's edges is complete. I put these 4 Cleco pins in to "locate" this new piece in its final adjusted position. Also establishing my center lines for the two drain holes.

Drain holes in! I flanged the openings for more strength and a better finished look. Not originally done this way but I like it better' besides they get covered!

Got the rear hat oriented to the center of the hole and am now ready to install.

Rear hat installed!

This is as far as i got today! Working on the front hat and inner cross brace next!

Justin