Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

MORE FLOOR

#61 Post by Justin Rio »

Original front drain shield spot-welded in.

With the shield in I could start locating the cross brace and get it ready.

I'm recycling the cross brace from my old T-2 replacement floor. It fits really nice and will only need some minor tweeking to seat tightly.

Brace is tack welded into position and the floor is mounted back into the car for another test fit.

Need to finish welding the brace and will install the negative battery cable terminal next. Its almost ready to be welded to the chassis! I cant wait!
Thanks for reading this!

Justin

Max Cooper
356 Fan

makin' it happen the old fashioned way

#62 Post by Max Cooper »

Justin Rio-
Nice images, I really enjoy your posts!
Thanks, Max.

Image 600 miles ago +/-, may strip red off to original dash paint, and clean bezels later.

Regards, Max Cooper. 1-404-457-0465

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#63 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Max,

Thank you for the reply and for taking your time to read my posts. Much appeciated! Be Careful stripping your dash down. Those small innocent weekend projects can quickly snowball and before you realize it; you're car is almost a bare shell!

Best Regards, Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

FLOOR is built!

#64 Post by Justin Rio »

Cross-brace is fully welded and the plug-welds have been dressed smooth. Battery ground strap mount is finished.

Ran my spot-welder over the brace to replicate a factory look. Also in for another test fit to make sure all the heat from welding hadn't twisted it out of shape. Some mild distortion but it will have to wait until its fully mounted in the car.

My new floor is finally done!!

All welds and rough edges have been polished.

Sanded of the light surface rust off and cleaned it for a light coat of primer. Also 3M drip-checked the brace flange to keep out any water.

Its in!!! Welding it now.

Thanks for following this!
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

BACK IN THE DAY

#65 Post by Justin Rio »

Thought I would share all the old photos I have of this car and some old memories before I even start to forget.
This was taken shortly after my dad had bought it from the wrecking yard in either late '68 or early'69. Its up on some sort of wooden frame so he could fit his VW transmission and engine in to get it up and running.

Still in the same spot; on the patio of the house he was renting at the time. That's my grandfather messing about in the engine compartment. My mother is sitting in the drivers seat. you can see even then that rusty primered corner of the door that my father and I would repair together some 17 years later. Check out that knarly 40HP VW engine just waiting to go in! Doesn't quite live up to the carrera emblems on the fenders.

It Runs!! My father worked at Western Talc during this time and he drove this car regularly to work. Its pictured here at the plant parking lot next to some sort of large storage container.

A road trip to San Diego. Thats my mother; I think just 24 there and just dating my dad at the time. Checkout all the Brand new 911's on the lot for 1969!

My father's memory is fading so he can't explain this picture. It actually had a 356 engine in it at some point. It must have been a loaner because there were no signs of it anywhere growing up. Look at the Vice-grip on the reverse light. I just had victor Miles restore it so its days as a tool caddy are over!!!

OOOPS! This happened while it was parked. My father would car pool some days to work. It was sitting on the street in front of his co-workers house which also happened to be at the base of a hill. A single mother with six kids parked her station wagon up this hill and forgot to set the parking brake. It soon rolled down the hill and nailed the right fender cue-balling this poor out matched car into the middle of the street. When My father arrived the the lady was very sorry and apoligetic. He soon learned she was uninsured and was just getting by in life. So he felt bad for her and didn't persue the matter. I've been told it was actually more smashed in before this shot was taken. Fortunately this did not get into the chassis. I've looked it over several times for any deformation. He pulled this fender out by secruring the car to a tree ; put two eye bolts in the fender with big washers(holes next to the headlight opening) hooked a chain to them and yanked it out several times with an old ford tractor we still have. "shadetree time"

For not being a bodyman at the time he got it pretty close! That's my little old grandfather again; been gone since '77.

Headlight bucket back in and ready for another fight!! Love those homemade nerf bars.

AHH!! The summer of '79. the summer of love; for me! I was 8 and this is when I fell in love with this car. My dad bought another 40HP VW motor to get her up and running again. I remember going with my dad to buy the engine. I remember this car with its tail end way up in the air in the middle of my dads workshop. I spent all my free time watching and poking around the car. I can remember even then thinking it was very similar to our 911 daily driver but much smaller and more primitive even though I didn't have a word to describe it then. My dad was an extremely slow worker (probably whare I get it from)and being a little kid with no patients made the anticipation of going for a ride very painful! I'm sure I drove him nuts asking when was it going to be done every five minutes. It finally did happen though! I don't remember it being powerful or super fast just really small and loud. (stinger pipe with no muffler) I thought it was the coolest car ever! I can still remember several trips in it. Shortly after my dad stripped it to bare metal; the crank broke so he just parked it in the yard and the body rusted over. Wish I would have taken a picture before I started cleaning it in '87.
Here is a shot of me, my old pal benjy and the car just off to the right. My memory of this time was very exciting and magical in a way. The old AM radio was on the entire time in my dads shop. To this day if I hear "the sultains of swing" by Dire straights," Reunited" by peaches&herb or "heart of Glass" by Blonde to name a few; I am transported right back there! The smell of old bad gasoline will take me there too!
Thanks for taking this trip into the past with me!
Back to Welding!!!!!

Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#66 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Justin, thanks for the old photos. Loved every one.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!!!!

#67 Post by Norm Miller »

Thanks for the memories Justin.
Those pictures represent the way it was in the 60's & 70's.
Not many concours cars, just daily drivers with all their scars and patina.
The venerable VW engine to the rescue when something big broke.

Norm

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#68 Post by Mike Klapac »

Great pics and a great story! I think these builds are a lot more interesting with some background stories.

Great work and keep it up!

K

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Thank you!!

#69 Post by Justin Rio »

thank you vic! I'm glad you liked them.

Thank you Norman! My friend did not think it was a good idea to show it wrecked (value I suppose) but its a part of its history; when its finally done all its issues will be repaired best of my ability. Hoepfully that will be acceptable.

And thank you Mike! I'm watching your build as well and looking forward to seeing its continued progress.

best regards, Justin

Matt Hummel
356 Fan

#70 Post by Matt Hummel »

Great Post Justin!

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Thanks Matt!!

#71 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks for taking a look at it Matt!

Best regards, Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

rear wall flange done

#72 Post by Justin Rio »

All welding done on rear wall mating flange. Alot of time spent here!

Gas welded the corners with a bead as originally. Plug-welds finished smooth and followed with the spot-welder for a factory look.

Slowly stitching the sides together now. Front closing panel is next.

Thanks for following this!

Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bobby Stefanovski
356 Fan

#73 Post by Bobby Stefanovski »

Hi Justin, i am on a simular journey as you are mate, being the same age (a 71 vintage) I am in the final steps of restoring my 1956 Porsche Speedster.
Fantastic photos and words mate, really enjoyed reading it. It brings us all back in a time of no responsibilities and a simple life.
Rergards

Bobby
Sydney
Australia

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#74 Post by Rusty Willey »

I loved those photos!!! Gramps with the pulled out fender is priceless :D :D :D :D Thanks for sharing!!
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Thank you!

#75 Post by Justin Rio »

Hi Bobby,
Thank you for the kind words! I really appeciate you taking the time to read it! Yeah we're the same age give or take a few months. Hard to belive 40 is just around the bend.;Of course I'll be saying the same thing at 50 or 60. The decades just slip past quicker then ever before! I'd love to see some pictures of your speedster project! Best Of luck getting it completed! Thanks again!! Justin

Hey Rusty,
Thanks!!! I'm glad to hear you liked the old pics! The car in '79 looked alot like yours but my dad didn't clear coat it to hold down the rust! Your buddies 53 is looking great! I love the way it sits! Justin