Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

#676 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Interesting fittings; where did you find them?
Thanks.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#677 Post by Justin Rio »

Its all XRP stuff. They have a really great online catalog.
Justin

Luca Bogoni
356 Fan

#678 Post by Luca Bogoni »

Hi Justin,

Any news on your Carrera?

Regards
Luca
Luca Bogoni
'57 A-T2 cab #150046

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#679 Post by Justin Rio »

Hello Luca,
Thanks for asking! Sorry this took so long to answer. A few other small projects have come up taking my attention away from the car. I also had a set back with the rear oil lines and have to revamp them a bit. I was hoping to have it in final paint by now but the everything is hinging on getting the rear lines done. I'll hopefully muster the energy to get back on it later this week. Again thanks for looking at this post!
Best regards, Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#680 Post by Justin Rio »

This custom oil system has finally reached the stage where sections of it can and have been mounted on the car for good. Only been a year! :D Its been far more work and expense then of course I realized. Alot of planning and alot of custom machined parts to get here but I would have not been happy with it otherwise. At this time I have one more softline to make and just one more rear hardline runner to go. Will post that shortly. If you would like to see more photo's and details of the work posted below you can go to: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=204#2386
Thanks! Justin
Attachments
Bulk head fittings now positioned and sinched down. Conical seals installed and ready to hook up the rocker runners for the last time!
Bulk head fittings now positioned and sinched down. Conical seals installed and ready to hook up the rocker runners for the last time!
Front tube soft line fittings now welded on making the final installation of these runners now possible.
Front tube soft line fittings now welded on making the final installation of these runners now possible.
Lines still run pretty much parrallel with each other. Very happy about that.
Lines still run pretty much parrallel with each other. Very happy about that.
A quick overview shot of the lines. A very long road to get here! Thanks for stopping by! Justin
A quick overview shot of the lines. A very long road to get here! Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#681 Post by Justin Rio »

By my initial choice of oil line routing for the rear I had made fabricating these final lengths much harder than they had to be. After a failed attempt and wasting another full piece of tubing I scrapped the idea and decided to go higher making the design much simplier. At first, Fully compressed tire clearance was the main concern but won't be an issue now. I have the new upper line complete and am now just finishing up the lower section. Getting so close to finally finishing this thing up!! If you would like to see additional photos and details: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... &start=216
Thanks for looking! Justin
Attachments
Had my template dialed in and moved onto a full final piece. It was so close.
Had my template dialed in and moved onto a full final piece. It was so close.
Somehow it ended up short and rotated just out of alignment with my fitting. There were just too many compound curves involved to make it hug the chassis. I now had to order more tubing to finish. I decided to cut my losses and go for a simplier route and design.
Somehow it ended up short and rotated just out of alignment with my fitting. There were just too many compound curves involved to make it hug the chassis. I now had to order more tubing to finish. I decided to cut my losses and go for a simplier route and design.
Mocking up and planning the new route. Again tire clearance was the big issue.
Mocking up and planning the new route. Again tire clearance was the big issue.
Much simplier design. Upper run complete and the lower template finished and in for a test fit. Moving onto bending this last piece up now. Amost done at long last. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Much simplier design. Upper run complete and the lower template finished and in for a test fit. Moving onto bending this last piece up now. Amost done at long last. Thanks for stopping by! Justin

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#682 Post by Ron LaDow »

Figuring tire deflection/clearance is chancy, but filling the holes for the former clamps can't be fun, either.
"I feel your pain" (sorry); most of us dealing with design/build projects get to do that sort of stuff.
But keep it up! It's GORGEOUS!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Peter Taplin
356 Fan

#683 Post by Peter Taplin »

Keep going Justin!!!!
It is almost there and looking great... you can do it:-)
'55 Pre-A #53833
Looking for my engine #35 270.... Are you out there?

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#684 Post by Justin Rio »

Hello Ron,
I know you can certainly understand all the "knuckle scrapping" effort that goes into side projects from scratch like this, I appreciate your sentiment. I am so happy to hear that you like this set up so far! It means alot considering all of the fantastic improvement parts to you manufacture and offer through PM. Thanks alot! Justin

Thank you for the encouragement Peter! It does help and is always appreciated!
Best Regards,Justin
Attachments
While on the "redo" of the rocker runner I thought that it might be better to tie the two lines together over a very long unsupported run from the splash pan to diagonal brace. I had Bill (machinist) build me one more clamp. The only difference was the alloy base of threaded for the bolt since it was an unmounted stand alone. Installed here.
While on the "redo" of the rocker runner I thought that it might be better to tie the two lines together over a very long unsupported run from the splash pan to diagonal brace. I had Bill (machinist) build me one more clamp. The only difference was the alloy base of threaded for the bolt since it was an unmounted stand alone. Installed here.
There was some flex in the tubes so by tying them together it stiffened things up a bit. Should also dampen a little of the harmonics out from road vibration prolonging  potential fatigue cracks. At the very least this run feels more stable now. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
There was some flex in the tubes so by tying them together it stiffened things up a bit. Should also dampen a little of the harmonics out from road vibration prolonging potential fatigue cracks. At the very least this run feels more stable now. Thanks for stopping by! Justin

Andrew Serdich
356 Fan
Tag: Enjoying the ride

#685 Post by Andrew Serdich »

Looking great Justin
1962 356b T-6 Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#686 Post by Jim Nelson »

It looks great, Justin. A word of caution--those conical seals are extremely fragile. They do a great job, but wow, do you have to be careful with them.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#687 Post by Justin Rio »

Hi Andrew, Thank you for saying so and thanks for taking the time to read this post! Justin

Hey Jim, yes, they are very soft and fragile; giving them the ability to squeez into any irregularity that might not seal tightly. Just a little tougher than maybe tin foil and definitley a one time use item. Thanks again for hooking me up with those guys at TMR!
Justin

Hardline fabrication is now at long last completed!!! :) Below are some shots and details of the final line runner going in. If you would like to see additional photos and details please go to: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=222#2483 Thanks again!! Justin
Attachments
Here is the inside tube runner test mounted and hooked up to the fittings. The final piece is now complete!
Here is the inside tube runner test mounted and hooked up to the fittings. The final piece is now complete!
Rear mounted and hooked up for another test fit. Had to move that bracket 3 times but its finally there.
Rear mounted and hooked up for another test fit. Had to move that bracket 3 times but its finally there.
A close fitment to the chassis but everything fits and clears fine.
A close fitment to the chassis but everything fits and clears fine.
This year long detour is finally almost finished. The car is now ready to be dismounted from the hoist! At long last!! Thanks for stopping by! Justin
This year long detour is finally almost finished. The car is now ready to be dismounted from the hoist! At long last!! Thanks for stopping by! Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#688 Post by Justin Rio »

After 2 years and 6 months on this hoist all metalwork and fabrication requiring the rotisserie has finally been completed! Body has been safely dismounted off of the rotisserie and a new stage begins. If you would like to see additonal photos and details you can go to: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=228#2582
Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Attachments
One of my first progress photos when I started this thread the day we got it remounted on the host. A lifetime ago!
One of my first progress photos when I started this thread the day we got it remounted on the host. A lifetime ago!
Spent yesterday remounting the dolley cart I built for it several months ago. Also added that subframe for the forks and as a barrier to them away from the rocker panel.
Spent yesterday remounting the dolley cart I built for it several months ago. Also added that subframe for the forks and as a barrier to them away from the rocker panel.
My buddy Mark made it by the shop this afternoon with his forklift to help me get it dismounted. This was very exciting and very scary all at the same time!
My buddy Mark made it by the shop this afternoon with his forklift to help me get it dismounted. This was very exciting and very scary all at the same time!
The barrier sub-frame woked out perfectly. It was weird having the body sit so low. I'm used to having the threshold about waist high.
The barrier sub-frame woked out perfectly. It was weird having the body sit so low. I'm used to having the threshold about waist high.
Only a Paint job stands in my way from final reassembly of this car. I feel so relieved in the knowledge that here is no metalwork or welding  required on this shell. A really nice place to be;only took 25 years to get here. Back to blocksanding this weekend. Thanks for reading this! Justin
Only a Paint job stands in my way from final reassembly of this car. I feel so relieved in the knowledge that here is no metalwork or welding required on this shell. A really nice place to be;only took 25 years to get here. Back to blocksanding this weekend. Thanks for reading this! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#689 Post by Justin Rio »

Hood being fitted for final adjustment and gaps. Like everything else on this car just when I thought I was done turns out there is just a little more to do. Once the hood was latched in its best and factory original position my right side gap was just a little wider than I liked. I had no choice but to lead it in a few mm's. Here are a few photo's of todays progress. if you would like to see more you can go to: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=246#2684
Attachments
Finally time to get the bottom latch in for the last time.
Finally time to get the bottom latch in for the last time.
While I was at it I wanted to eliminate another possible unwelcomed surprise; hood clearance with that 904 gas cap.
While I was at it I wanted to eliminate another possible unwelcomed surprise; hood clearance with that 904 gas cap.
once latched the front was still fine, the left side was okay but the right was way too wide.
once latched the front was still fine, the left side was okay but the right was way too wide.
First section cleaned and ready for the tinning acid.
First section cleaned and ready for the tinning acid.
Initial section leaded. You can see clearly by comparison how wide the gap was to start.
Initial section leaded. You can see clearly by comparison how wide the gap was to start.
Entire run now leaded. lots of fine tuning and several hours yet to get this hood fitted like I want. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Entire run now leaded. lots of fine tuning and several hours yet to get this hood fitted like I want. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexFord
356 Fan

#690 Post by AlexFord »

Justin Rio wrote:I have enjoyed following all the recent project build posts. I decided to add my long term project, in the hopes of keeping the fire lit under my ass to finally complete it.
--So here I am over 20 years later and I still dont have a finished product. I'm turning 40 this december and have decided to make a hard push and get the final welding Time keeps slipping! Will post its repair shortly.

Thanks for listening!

Justin
This is one of those very cool projects that is going to be so satisfying and beautiful when it is done, because there's a love of love in and on it and because this car is relatively rare and is definitely quite important as a classic car. I'm a Newby that happened into one of those California Cars about which little is known. The similarity at this point is that I don't want to wait to get it media blasted and to find out what is underneath. That will then determine, after measurements, the next steps to be taken. Best on it. Alex Ford, Simi Valley (So. Ca.)