Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

#691 Post by Joris Koning »

Justin,

I suggest you fit your GT tank with both sets of straps mounted. I have run into the problem that the bolt retainer wants to hit the reinforcement of the hood. It seems that the factory also had these issues as a friends 59 coupe factory fitted with a GT tank does the same thing on the drivers side. It's a real bitch to find this out later after the car is painted.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#692 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Alex, I appreciate your very nice post! Best of luck with you project and I hope lots of metal remians after your car gets back from media blasting.
Best Regards, Justin

Great point Joris, I took your advice and fully mounted the tank in this afternoon. I have made it a point to test fit just about everything else like chrome trim etc. but I sort of brain faded on the tank. I had it sort of mounted while I was fitting it to the car but of course without the hood mounted. I just sort of assumed it was going to make it but your post woke me up on that one; Thanks! All the hardware and padding has been ready for some time so it only took about 10 minutes to get it all buttoned up. I am very relieved to report that it all clears and fits with no issues! Thanks again for the suggestion. Justin
Attachments
My new tank pads cut from wool type stock I have had ready to go for quite some time. Same thickness and consistancy as the originals just a different color. original access cover also fully mounted for the first time.
My new tank pads cut from wool type stock I have had ready to go for quite some time. Same thickness and consistancy as the originals just a different color. original access cover also fully mounted for the first time.
All strapped in; don't have the felt for the straps yet but they are thin and won't change anything once I add them.
All strapped in; don't have the felt for the straps yet but they are thin and won't change anything once I add them.
Fully mounted tank and finned cap. Everything thankfully clears the hood with no issues. Thanks Joris!<br />Justin
Fully mounted tank and finned cap. Everything thankfully clears the hood with no issues. Thanks Joris!
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#693 Post by Justin Rio »

While digging through some very old paperwork my father ran across this long forgotten photo he took of this car and mother in early 1970. Was so happy to recieve it last night! I hope a few more turn up! Thanks for looking! Justin
Attachments
taken after  the right fender was crunched and pulled out. Photo was shot on a frontage road just outside Barstow CA. just off of route '66.
taken after the right fender was crunched and pulled out. Photo was shot on a frontage road just outside Barstow CA. just off of route '66.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#694 Post by Justin Rio »

After several lengthy sessions the trunk gaps are finally getting very close. After leading in the left run I thought I was finished with this soldering phase but I am proven wrong by this car all the time. I soon realized that I was not happy with the shape and width of the back corners and the cowl run. I was tempted just to finish it in putty but I had come this far and could not bring myself to start cutting corners. So I removed the hood and prepped the area for lead. This was finished tonight so I'm just about done fitting this hood. Here are few shots of the past several weeks progress. You can view additional photos and details here: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=276#3477 Thanks for looking! Justin
Attachments
Very happy with the side gap after leading but there would be many tracer coats and block sands still to come.
Very happy with the side gap after leading but there would be many tracer coats and block sands still to come.
Finished the outer surface of the fender and was in the middle of ultra fine board sanding here. This was actaully very fun for a change.
Finished the outer surface of the fender and was in the middle of ultra fine board sanding here. This was actaully very fun for a change.
Unhappy with the rear corner gaps I pulled the hood back off and began prepping the area for solder.
Unhappy with the rear corner gaps I pulled the hood back off and began prepping the area for solder.
leading now complete. Just have to open this new line up a bit to match the sides and for opening clearnace. Doing that tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
leading now complete. Just have to open this new line up a bit to match the sides and for opening clearnace. Doing that tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#695 Post by Martin Benade »

I guess that would have been "cutting corners"
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#696 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks Martin! Didn't want to go for the obvious pun but glad you decided to :D

Hood gaps and final fitment just about complete. Of course it was more work than anticipated. Also begining the repairs on my raggidy alloy seat shells. There are additional photos and details here: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=288#4664
Attachments
Several solid sessions to open and shape these corners and cowl gap.
Several solid sessions to open and shape these corners and cowl gap.
Another tracer coat. Basic gap and transition is there. I am pretty much down to the small fine details.
Another tracer coat. Basic gap and transition is there. I am pretty much down to the small fine details.
Lots of tig welding required to save this one.
Lots of tig welding required to save this one.
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Gensler
356 Fan

#697 Post by David Gensler »

Justin,
Awesome work on the hood gap. I'm about to address this area on 89379 and your photos will be a big help. And, sounds as if you've got a TIG now!

Although I've been quiet (a lurker), have been very much enjoying all the vintage photos on your Forum. Just delightful. Best on the web!

Thanks,
DG
David Gensler

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#698 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey David, Thank you, Always appreciated!! I sent you a thank you email a few weeks ago but not sure you recieved it. I didn't hear back so I assume not. No, I still don't own a TIG but its on my wish list. Gaps are pretty much set now on the hood but am still block sanding and leveling the transition area there. I'm still working on it but had to take on a side job for a friend here in town to keep the lights on. Its going to be a full stock conversion taking a ratty & rusty coupe chassis to a Speedster. All the conversion pieces will be from Steve Hogue. If you would like to see it here is the link with progress updates almost daily: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... oject.html
Thanks again David and am glad you like the photos!! Justin
Attachments
Squaring and stabilizing rusty coupe chassis in preperation to go on my rotisserie.  Still keeping one eye on my coupe project; I want it painted before this year is out.<br />Thanks for looking! Justin
Squaring and stabilizing rusty coupe chassis in preperation to go on my rotisserie. Still keeping one eye on my coupe project; I want it painted before this year is out.
Thanks for looking! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#699 Post by Justin Rio »

New HD combo spindle project complete.
After 8 months we finally finished a pair of custom made heavy duty combo spindles for this project. I already had the custom arms made earlier and decided to take it the rest of the way. Below are some progress shots. If you would like to see more photos and details: http//abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/34-58367-The-75-Junkyard-Carrera-coupe-restoration.html?limit=6&start=294#5861

Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Attachments
carrera 745A.JPG
carrera 1093.JPG
carrera 1137.JPG
carrera 1142.JPG

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#700 Post by Ron LaDow »

Justin,
Do you have a shot of the king-pin without the spindle fitted?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#701 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Ron, Sorry I don't have shot of them disassembled. Justin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#702 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The kingpin is just a big shaft; there are two needle bearing assemblies in the spindle.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#703 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Vic.

Got really side tracked on that other project for the last couple of weeks with not a thing being accomplished on this car. Decided to make it a point to set one hour aside each visit to get things moving again. Its paying off , the front is just about ready for final paint now and am now ready to move onto the left side of the car. More photos and details here if you would like to see:

http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... t=318#6626
Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Attachments
carrera 1181.JPG
carrera 1182.JPG

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#704 Post by Justin Rio »

A long road but the entire front clip is now finally set and ready for final color. A few shots below, for additonal photos and details: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... &start=324
Attachments
Final work coat with just one more finish sand before paint up here.
Final work coat with just one more finish sand before paint up here.
Hood gap is now consistent with door.
Hood gap is now consistent with door.
Same critical detail as with the right side door before. The thickness at the edge of the hood had to be correct. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Same critical detail as with the right side door before. The thickness at the edge of the hood had to be correct. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#705 Post by Justin Rio »

The hood will need to be painted on the car to ensure uniform shade and metal flake coverage. Cowl damage or chipping is always a risk while removing or reinstalling it so I decided that hood will not come off again after final paint. To do this requires cutting the jamb in first then installing the new rubber seal and making sure it seats and allows the hood to sit flush once engaged. Enclosed are a few shots of that process. If you would like to see addtional photos and details click here: http://abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restorati ... &start=336

Thanks for looking! Justin
Attachments
Jamb now into its final coat of silver here. This will be carefully back taped to the leading cornered edge for final paint to the exterior.
Jamb now into its final coat of silver here. This will be carefully back taped to the leading cornered edge for final paint to the exterior.
Continuing with the theme of keeping the car as original where possible the OG corner clamps and OG screws and washers were restored and or cleaned.
Continuing with the theme of keeping the car as original where possible the OG corner clamps and OG screws and washers were restored and or cleaned.
New seal mocked up with hood reinstalled once again for the Big test.
New seal mocked up with hood reinstalled once again for the Big test.
Only some light pressure required before the latch engaged. No fitment or elevation issues!  One more in the done column. Fitting the seal in for good now. Thanks for looking! Justin
Only some light pressure required before the latch engaged. No fitment or elevation issues! One more in the done column. Fitting the seal in for good now. Thanks for looking! Justin
Last edited by Justin Rio on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.