1st long drive of the summer

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

1st long drive of the summer

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

Only in upstate NY do you get the perfect day in May, breezy, warm, and perfect Roadster driving weather. It is days like today that make me able to deal with January!

www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#2 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Adam,
You need to move back to the South! May in NY is like January in Florida.

Good to see you got the Roadster out.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Move back down South??? I don't think I could handle a GA summer, ever again.

It was good to get the Roadster out. My wife was not able to go for the ride, 8 month pregnant women and a little Roadster don't mix.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Jung
356 Fan

First long drive of summer

#5 Post by Mark Jung »

Beautiful day in Yachats Oregon on the coast. Great drive along the old hwy 101 winding in and out of coves and up and down cliffs. Not another 356 in sight but had some fun spirited runs with a small BMW group.
Mark Jung
Registry Member #12159
(541) 563-3702

57 Coupe Outlaw
72T Coupe Stock

Steve Erhardt
356 Fan

First long drive of summer

#6 Post by Steve Erhardt »

[My wife was not able to go for the ride, 8 month pregnant women and a little Roadster don't mix.]

What? My wife drove her Mazada Miata up until the day our son was born. In fact she came home from work one day and said "I think my water broke" and she jumped back in the Miata and went to the hospital. Glad you got the roadster out.

Re: 1st long drive of the summer

#7 Post by Guest »

Brian O'Kelly wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:Only in upstate NY do you get the perfect day in May
It certainly looks like a nice day there...

but you really need to come and visit Central Coast Calif. 8)

As nice as the weather, the view, the cost line or the 356s may be, the pic is just spoiled by that stupid speed limit sign.
65? and they call that SPEED ? 8)

It's not having too many of these around, that make me able to deal with the not so nice summer we got over here in Germany.

Regards, Martin

Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

#8 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

Hi Martin,

Sometimes I get upset about speed limits as well… I hate loosing points and the risk of loosing my driver’s license for a month or a year….

But for our 356 hobby, speed limits are great!

We own slow cars that can be driven fast… they are fun but we cannot compare them to modern cars.

I still remember the great time I had driving from Troy (MI) down to Miami (FL) on a 1959 A T2 Coupe Normal… it took me 2 days to finish the trip and I enjoyed every mile of the 1,500 miles drive… I was one of the fastest cars at the highway driving from 80 up to 110 mph all the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3H7HBnP5Q

In the US the speed limits can go up to 75 mph and they allow you to go up to 90 mph sometimes… you might take the risk of driving a bit over this limit… but the good thing is that most cars are driving at +/- 10% your speed…

I can’t imagine the feeling of driving any 356 on German autobahns were sports cars are driving at above 130 mph up to 220 mph depending on the traffic… a VW Golf can kick you out of the road at 130 mph…

Our cars are fun and great to drive… but it doesn’t matter the engine or tires you have, they are not comfortable for a long trip at above 100 or 110 mph…

I am glad we have speed limits where I drive enabling me to be many times the fastest car on the road!

BTW I love driving in Germany… but I would rather drive a 997 there than any of my 356s…

Keep driving your 356!! :D

Cheers,

Freddy
www.356carrera.net

Barry Wolk
356 Fan

#9 Post by Barry Wolk »

We recently took our first trip in our '55 Cabrio. We drove from Detroit to Cincinnati to take part in the Ault Park Concours. Never drove it over 60 mph the whole time. It shook so badly that it became very unpleasant above that speed.

It turns out that a significant amount of damage went undetected after the trailer accident. The axles, drums and wheels were severely damaged. Porsche suspensions don't like to be dragged sideways repeatedly across E-tracks. They like being slammed into a guard rail even less.