Linda's 1960 Roadster, #87954

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Carl Zapffe
356 Fan
Tag: Flying down country roads in Door County

#61 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-09-09) It's getting closer and closer! Here's the latest exciting news from Terry:
Today I drove the car! Everything went great. As I stepped down on the gas the engine was smooth.............. I felt it pushing me forward and for a little while the whole world looked much brighter. You will love driving your car, Carl.

Gee, thanks, Terry! Tell me something I don't know...
We have some things to do yet but it is going well. The seats look beautiful in the car. I won't put the rubber mat in the car untill the day you come or I will just have to clean it again and again. I am taking it to the upholstery shop tomorrow to have the top put on. Then for final adjustment of the door windows and the interior door panels can go on.
8 days and counting! :D
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#62 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-09-09) The seats are in!

Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#63 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-09-09) Out on the road again after 25 years!!! :D :D :D

Her first baby steps! :D Fine daddy I am - I should have been there to watch her start her second life! :(
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Stefan De Vleeschauwer
356 Fan

#64 Post by Stefan De Vleeschauwer »

very nice,

just drive her
:D
regards
Stefan
356 B T6 super 75 coupe '63
#body : 124675 - engine : 706820 (matching)

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#65 Post by Carl Zapffe »

Stefan - I will, I will! I will be the guy with the huge smile on my face about this time next Friday! :D

And the guy who will be only one of thousands out celebrating Herr Porsche's 100th birthday on Saturday and Sunday! 8)
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#66 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-14-09) Thanks to Registry member Buster Venable of Naples, Florida, and Terry's friend, the Roadster steering column bracket came in yesterday! Terry tells me -
Hello Carl,

Here is a picture of the replicated roadster steering column spacer. The black one is the one from Buster and the five on the right are the ones my friend made with CNC equipment. If any one needs one I have some extras.
So, there you go. If anyone who is reading this post needs a Roadster steering column bracket, then please let me know. I will post this in 356 Parts ads too.

Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Michael Banchero
356 Fan

NICE ROADSTER

#67 Post by Michael Banchero »

HEY CARL,
GREAT DOCUMENTATION, AND A NICE JOB OF RESTORATION TO BOOT.
KEEP DRIVING EM'
MICHAELB

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#68 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-15-09) Look at this lovely door pocket in my Roadster! :D

Last edited by Carl Zapffe on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#69 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-15-09) Now the rails and edging are laid out and ready for installation.

Last edited by Carl Zapffe on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#70 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-15-09) Now Terry comes down to the hard part - Installing the canvas top to my Roadster. Fräulein Zuffie finally gets her hairpiece installed! :D Here's his latest note on this subject:
Hello. Here are some shots of me covering the door garnish rails and the preliminary work at the upholstery shop. The bows are covered with corduroy material like the originals. Then the top pads go in place. The upholstery man says once the preliminary work is done, it won't take much to put the top on.

Let me say things at the upholstery shop are moving slower than desired. It is fortunate that I don't have much left to do. I will report more tomorrow.
This is where the rubber hits the asphalt. Getting the canvas top installed correctly so that it looks great without wrinkles and with all of the grommets aligned properly with all of the buttons is a difficult business. This is made all the more difficult by aftermarket parts which may or may not be period correct, as has been commented by Ken Daugherty in his thread started just today titled, "Roadster Top Woes, More."

http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1011

Last edited by Carl Zapffe on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#71 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-15-09) Another picture of Terry hard at work!

Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#72 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-16-09) Boy, now it is REALLY crunch time! This time tomorrow I will be crossing into Iowa and well on my way to reuniting with my Fräulein Zuffie. I had thought that she would have been done sooner, but everything is taking more time than originally thought. Like anyone who has ever restored a 356 Roadster should be surprised at this... :?

Terry is finishing up with the final touches, including installing that period correct beige canvas top. The original top had been black when Harvey L. Smith purchased this Roadster for Linda in 1985. However, when it came time to purchase a new one, I had the color changed to beige/tan to match better with the new interior color of cashmere tan leather.

This car looks FABULOUS! :D I can't wait. A little more than 24 hours and counting!

Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#73 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-17-09) I let Terry do his thing without interruption. I figure that there is no point in bothering him when some minor last minute details need his attention. Besides, I plan on stopping by his garage in just 24 hours.

This is in spite of the fact that Sandy, my wife, keeps suggesting that I call him to ask if the car will really be done by the time I get there. Those of you who have been married like I have for more than 40 years get to the point where we realize that our wives have a finely tuned and very wonderful instrument known as "woman's intuition." Much to our chagrin, this allows them the luxury of always being able to say, "I told you so" when we fail to listen to them, as is so often the case... :(

To my regret, I had spent many years ignoring her feminine intuition, and it has always turned out badly for me. In the wisdom of my old age, I have come to accept the fact that she often knows best. I mean, what's the point of ignoring her when she loves me and wants the best to happen for me?

Once again, I ignored her suggestion. This time, maybe it was for the best, though. :?:
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#74 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-18-09) Now we are driving through central Iowa and well on our way to Lincoln, Nebraska to see Terry again and drive Fräulein Zuffie for the first time! :D

At some point after Des Moines, I called Terry Worick to ask him how he was doing. He said fine, as always, but still with some minor things left to do. This bothered me, since I was told that the car would be "done" by the time I got there, and earlier I had been assured that the car would be finished early.

So, I asked Terry what he meant by "done." He told me that "done" meant that I could drive the car on Ferry Porsche's 100th birthday, which was the second reason for my trip. The first was to road test the car, drive it for a couple of hundred miles, and then have it sent back to Lake Bluff, Illinois after an oil change. Now I learn that the car wasn't done and wouldn't be done for a while yet. This after I had previously scheduled a delivery truck pickup for Tuesday afternoon based on the mistaken assumption that my car would be completely finished.

But in all honesty, the car was not completely done. Obviously there was a wide gap between his definition of "done" and mine. After all, I can't have the car shipped back to Illinois and Wisconsin if there is still work left to do and parts left to be ordered.

I spent the rest of the drive through Iowa in a giant snit. :x :x :x After all, it is not cheap to drive all of the way to Nebraska, stay at a bed and breakfast, and eat out two meals a day for five days.

Sandy once again jumped into the breach and suggested that we just make the best of it, since the weather was absolutely perfect and I will still be able to drive my new Roadster. :D

All of you who have restored 356s are well aware of the fact that nothing goes according to plan and it is almost useless to set timetables for completion. I called Ibrahim and crabbed about what the meaning of the word "done" is. Ibrahim called Terry and then called me back to tell me that Terry had been up working on the car until one am the previous night. Furthermore, he has put in more than a few late nighters working on my car just for me because he knew that I was soon coming over to Nebraska.

After hearing this, I stewed in my own juices for a while... :( Then the guilt trip started. This poor guy was killing himself for me, and all I did was squawk at him. He didn't deserve that, and I began to feel like a heel. :(

I called Terry back and apologized profusely. After all, the guiding principle all along was to do it right, not to do it fast. :idea:

Fortunately, I was able to reach my classic car dealer friend in Lake Bluff even though it was 5:05 pm on a Friday afternoon in order to cancel that truck pickup. Now on to the new reality... :)
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#75 Post by Carl Zapffe »

(09-19-09) There she is, waiting for me!!! :D :D :D

Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie