3rd Annual Southern Bull Session, Evans GA, Apr 4, 2009

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

3rd Annual Southern Bull Session, Evans GA, Apr 4, 2009

#1 Post by George Bryan »

The Third Annual Southern Bull Session is scheduled for the Saturday APRIL 4, 09, in Evans,GA.
All 356 Porsche owners and 356 Porsche car enthusiasts are welcome.

Each year we use the Bull Session as an opportunity to raise money for the 356 Registry Cancer Fund, as well as just have a day of good 356 fun & camaraderie. This an unstructured informal event for us, so shorts & T shirts encouraged.(See pics below)

Please drive your 356 if at all possible, or trailer it if needed, just get it here. We already have folks coming from five states this year and expect @ 30 cars... so drive yours & add to the number!

Saturday, April 4th, 2009, my house, 1408 Ashwood Drive Evans,GA 30809 from @8:30AM until ? Last year we broke up @ 4PM.

We will have a silent auction again this year as our fund raiser. Items can be paid for by cash or a check made out to the American Cancer Society for a charitable donation.

A big THANK YOU up front for the generosity of our 356 vendors, 356 friends & supporters of our community. The items we have this year are unbelievable for an event like this including MASTERS GOLF TOURNAMENT tickets, NASCAR event tickets for 4 & many outstanding 356 related products, parts, clothing, literature, wine, and on & on. To start the auction we have on hand so far this year donated items from:

Jim at EASY - Gary at Parts Obsolete - Bruce at Stoddard/NLA - Bo Bovard of Augusta Iron & Steel, - Ed Rutherford at Klasse 356 - Bruce Baker - Joe Leoni - Diane at the 356 Goodie Store - Jeff Bown, of UGI BRAKES - Dirk Heinrich - Chris Toy - Pat Glover - Ashley Page at Pro Brake Systems - Jim Philips- George Duehring of Zaxby’s - Jerry Peters owner of Waggin’ Train - Jerry Henning - Al Peinhardt, - Bob Watts, and more promised.

Anyone wishing to bring beer, sodas, cigars, and such for the common good is encouraged to do so. Please bring along a canvas / folding chair as seating got very tight last year.

Lunch will be @$20 person for all you can eat delicious Mot’s BBQ & sides, condiments, drinks etc. Everyone who has been here knows what a good feed it is. After the food is paid for, any overage goes into the donation. I will commit for 60 people from Mots. Lunch will be served @ 1145.

Voting will be for the best bull story, as always. You don’t have to give a speech, just decide your “story”, or “did you know 356 factoid”, and casually insert it into conversations with others throughout the day. Keep a straight face though and it should be plausible, even though it is an outrageous lie. The ballots will tell all. Best bet for bull winner this year is Dansby, since Ken Richardson is ineligible to carry home again the prestigious (?) & sought after Bull Trophy. Don’t count out Joe Cogbill though.

More to follow as we get closer to the event. I will post a weather call Friday if it is rainy…otherwise consider it a GO! Mark your calendars now.

If you have not already, please email me by March 30th if you plan to attend; and also if you would like to be added to growing the email list for updates.

Best regards,
George Bryan
Registry member #1175

Email: Gbryan13@knology.net

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#2 Post by George Bryan »

BONUS---STOCK CAR RACES Opening Night: Those who have already reserved space at the house or have a hotel Friday night, I have arranged for us to go to the stock car races Friday night. If you have not been to a Southern dirt track stock car event it is HUGE entertainment. We will all go in my truck & other non 356’s as the clay dust will be plentiful…as well as beer and such.

All you captains of industry who have kept your inner redneck stifled, this is your chance to let him out. Plan on leaving here @ 7PM.

Also, anyone wishing to drive a super street stock car, I can probably open up my old stock car race track Saturday night & get a couple of fellas to bring their race cars in to let you take a few laps on the wet clay, if enough of you want to do it….not for weak hearted guys.

Please let me know who plans to attend the stock car races Friday, so I can get it set up with the track promoter.

Regards,
George

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Farnam »

Yee Ha

You can spot the real dirt track fans by the clods of dirt in their teeth!

Wish I could be there.

Tom
(who grew up working at the "Hoosier Hundred" and other dirt track races)
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by George Bryan »

Tom, you would enjoy Modoc a lot. I helped rebuild it after it was closed for thiry years. The picture you see on the home page was opening night & I flagged the field of late models you see. Even with the NASCAR type radio headset on, I still had a roar in my ears through the next day. Modoc then was a 4/10th track and the fast time was low 17's....on wet clay that's movin' brother! We all love our 356 cars for what they are....but a big horspower, straight pipe, 'merican V8 still gets me pumping. Very exciting. Here is the link http://www.modocspeedway.com/ for some of y'all who might be curious what dirt track racing is. This is real Southern sport on the clay.

Also an update on the Bull session. Looks like a nice crowd is forming this year with folks now coming from VA & north. Chris Toy still has the distance record coming from CA last year.

More items are coming in for the silent auction fund raiser. Courtesy of Ashley Page we got some very nice 356 items from Bosch, Brake Kleen, Bilstein and more. Courtesy of Kelley Knox, it looks like four tickets to a Braves game in Atlanta.

Please keep the mails coming for who will attend. I look forward to seeing you all.

regards,
George

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

Saturday is a GO rain or shine

#5 Post by George Bryan »

Hi all. the weather forecast changes every few hours it seems, but many of you have blocked calendars a bit ago, have hotel rooms reserved, & are coming early to the stock car races. A reschedule will be tough for all of us & the caterer. Moreover, my wife has had me working in the yard cleaning up....so we have to do this thing...Rain or Shine. If we get a sprinkle well we'll just get real friendly in the garages & porch, but, BS, beer & delicious Mot's BBQ should take off any edge.

We will have some very interesting guests this year who were beating these cars around the road courses & tracks when many of us thought a 396 Chevy or a GTO was the hot ticket.

One of whom is Ted Tidwell, a 904 GTS driver & Chimney Rock veteran. Please see this link http://www.historicmustang.com/tidwell.html

Also Frank Harmstad who drove Brumos, many a 24hrs Daytona, C & E production SCCA national champion, and still holds six unbroken records at Chimney Rock. Joe Cogbill, national EP SCCA champ in the 96 rock car; and also Pat Glover a veteran O'Steen gang member & Overby era driver. Anything I ever did at the race tracks in EP or with stock cars might as well be bench racing compared to what these men have done.

So drive your car! The ones who got soaked at the ECH have not even started to rust yet from the deluge, so don't let a few rain clouds scare you off.

We have a huge list of items for the Cancer Fund silent auction from many of our generous 356 vendors and fans.

See you Saturday....rain or shine.

Regards,
George

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by George Bryan »

I just wanted to say thanks to all who attended this year. We raised just short of $3500 for the 356 Registry Cancer Fund.

The weather was perfect & the food was great. Smith & Jones played music for us for the entire event and they really added a lot to the event. Mot’s barbeque again provided a delicious meal. The bull & beer started early Friday at the stock car races and continued nearly non stop.

Curt Dansby won the coveted bull trophy. However, once Frank Harmstad, Ted Tidwell, and Joe Cogbill got talking about racing 904’s and SCCA Production cars from the 60’s on, it was piling up there & you needed waders; BUT they shared a lot of actual experiences about how cars came from the factory, what was supplied, who prepared them, a few speed tricks, and moreover provided top shelf recollections of racing at Chimney Rock hill climb course, 24hrs Daytona, and race tracks long plowed under. It was a Porsche history lesson interspersed with humor for all who were listening by the men who actually did the stuff we read about now in books.

I’d like to thank all the 356 vendors and people who generously sent goods to us for the silent auction. Also a special thanks to the many friends who came early to set up, and worked throughout the day to pull it off, shepherded the auction for me, and stayed afterward to help clean up and such. An old S90 Roadster even did its part.

Thanks again for making the event a success. Hope to see you all plus some new cars & faces next year. I appreciate y'alls support.

Regards,
George Bryan