High Desert Holiday Questions

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: High Desert Holiday Questions

#16 Post by C J Murray »

Exactly the response I had expected, sadly.

Why not attack Mark, he has a flack shield? Just kidding!

John Clarke should get a slap down too. Kidding here also.

Or maybe you could accept the thank you for taking on this responsibility and allow people to have the opinion that people attending with a 356 should be given preference to people not bringing a 356. Nobody is suggesting that Steve Proctor specifically planned to keep the 35(20%?) 356s from attending a 356 Holiday. I don't think it is insensitive to suggest that 35 more 356 cars would make the event better. Why take that personally? It's not about you or your other volunteers.

As for the oversubscribing of the event, I have not heard of that happening in all the Holidays that I have attended over many years. Maybe it has happened. I would think that the registration website could limit the registrations to the 350 person capacity but maybe that is not possible. Apparently the event was well over subscribed since there were at least 20 people ahead of us on the waiting list.

Steve, please do not take these suggestions personally. Just think about the merits of the concerns and if you disagree then forget it. Have a great event!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#17 Post by Curt Dansby »

#15 post by Steve Proctor

Amen

C J Murray
356 Fan

#18 Post by C J Murray »

Pulled from the "About 356 Registry" link above.
Porsche 356 Registry is a non-profit international group of owners and enthusiasts which, since 1974, has fostered the preservation and perpetuation of the Porsche 356 series automobile. Porsche 356 Registry, along with dozens of affiliated local and regional groups in the US and around the world, encourages education, research, preservation and foremost, enjoyment of the first series of Porsche automobiles.
I think that means, drive and display.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dan Epperly »

C J Murray wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am Pulled from the "About 356 Registry" link above.
Porsche 356 Registry is a non-profit international group of owners and enthusiasts which, since 1974, has fostered the preservation and perpetuation of the Porsche 356 series automobile. Porsche 356 Registry, along with dozens of affiliated local and regional groups in the US and around the world, encourages education, research, preservation and foremost, enjoyment of the first series of Porsche automobiles.
I think that means, drive and display.
Meh, all you need today is an App for that and you can virtually do it. Hell, you could just virtually attend the actual event while you virtually drive your 356 to the show and shine.
Last edited by Dan Epperly on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#20 Post by C J Murray »

I learned something new today. You may not attend the big European 356 event without a 356 or correct period Porsche race car. I think that is correct but the Euro guys can correct me if I am wrong. No BMWs, GT4s, or Toyotas? Interesting!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#21 Post by John Hearn »

Cliff
It is not correct that you have to attend a European meeting in a 356.
It is encouraged but legally incorrect to stop you attending.
It is binding to be a member of a Porsche club.
KTF
John

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

John Hearn wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 am Cliff
It is not correct that you have to attend a European meeting in a 356.
It is encouraged but legally incorrect to stop you attending.
It is binding to be a member of a Porsche club.
KTF
John
Hi John, thank you for responding. I was given that information by a person that was told that by an American that attended the big Euro event just past. I guess even a close source can be wrong.

Are you saying that actual law prohibits exclusion of non 356 cars? No discrimination allowed? Feel free to attend in a Ferrari or Corvette of any vintage?

If you are in a Toyota can you join the drives?

Do non-356 cars make up a considerable percentage of attendees as they do at our Holidays such as the 20% for the WCH?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#23 Post by John Hearn »

Cliff
By legal, I mean if you are accepted as a meeting entrant they have no control over what car you arrive in....
This years meeting was retricted to 100 cars!!! I believe the locations that we visited had size restrictions.
Next years meeting in Munchen has provision for 200+ cars, so the odd Toyota won't go a miss!
I attended this years meeting in Switzerland in a T5 VW Bus. This was required because of the ever present 356 Registry
Goodiestore and my camera gear. Nobody has turned me away with my camera, whatever vehicle I arrive in, should I try an Alfa next time?
KTF
John

C J Murray
356 Fan

#24 Post by C J Murray »

John Hearn wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:35 pm By legal, I mean if you are accepted as a meeting entrant they have no control over what car you arrive in....
Can you enter as a Toyota or just show up in a Toyota?

Were 20 of the 100 cars attending non-356s?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#25 Post by Norm Miller »

I'm not touching this even I don't agree.