Porsche 356 meet in Tokyo – ‘46th Daikanyama Morning Cruise’

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
JohnLiles
356 Fan

Porsche 356 meet in Tokyo – ‘46th Daikanyama Morning Cruise’

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

As luck would have it , I was visiting my son Tom in Tokyo instead of being at Classic Le Mans !

I heard about the above meeting held on Sunday 10 July between 7am – 9am in a car park behind the famous Tsutaya bookshop in the upmarket Shibuya suburb of Daikanyama .
To attend it meant an early start from Tom's house , a 5km bicycle ride to Yoga station , catching a local train to Shibuya main station , and then a subway train to Daikanyama station followed by a 5 minute walk. We were there for 7.30 am thanks to the punctuality of the Japanese train system .

There were 12 356's already assembled , parked in a line , plus other 'petrolhead' vehicles , predominantly Porsche 911s ranging from a 1965 car to a 2016 car , and a motley collection of Japanese and other nationality classics , including an early Toyota 'sports 800' , a Honda NSX , a Ferrari 246GT Dino , BMW M1 ,

I took an interest in the 2 Speedsters parked side by side , especially the white 1955 car , having recently acquired a 1955 coupe myself . All the 356s appeared to be in good condition , the Japanese climate is favourable for preservation , however my guess is that a good proportion started life in California before coming to Japan. The red coupe parked at one end of the display looked very sun-weathered !

I also liked the blue '1600GT' , and would have been happy to drive one of the cabs away 8)

Got a few more pics , 356 and non 356 , let me know if you want to see them :wink:
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

Re: Porsche 356 meet in Tokyo – ‘46th Daikanyama Morning Cru

#2 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Exceptional post John, know you came away with enough exposure to a culture that your memories will be long lasting. Hope you had a chance to dine on Chinese pork egg rolls along with a pitcher of draft beer. Exceptional people, exceptional society, and can those cab drivers ever cut hairs when weaving through traffic and alleyways. With all the different lighting, it was difficult to verify that the coupe with hood straps and GT bumper trim was Aetna Blu with a red interior. With some lens exposures it also appeared to be Royal Blu.

JohnLiles
356 Fan

Re: Porsche 356 meet in Tokyo – ‘46th Daikanyama Morning Cru

#3 Post by JohnLiles »

glen hamner wrote:Exceptional post John, know you came away with enough exposure to a culture that your memories will be long lasting. Hope you had a chance to dine on Chinese pork egg rolls along with a pitcher of draft beer. Exceptional people, exceptional society, and can those cab drivers ever cut hairs when weaving through traffic and alleyways. With all the different lighting, it was difficult to verify that the coupe with hood straps and GT bumper trim was Aetna Blu with a red interior. With some lens exposures it also appeared to be Royal Blu.
Thanks Glen , the camera always lies ! Here for comparison is a 993RS in Riviera Blue at the same meet , which actually looks like Riviera Blue......from memory the blue on the GT style 356 was not Sky Blue but close to the Aetna Blue on a friends 1961 B Roadster so you may well be right.

And here's a Toyota sportscar of the post 356 era , 65-69 , contemporary with the early 911 but a completely different aesthetic......I'll stick with Porsches !

1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'