41st International Porsche 356 Meeting - Denmark , 5/5/16

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
JohnLiles
356 Fan

41st International Porsche 356 Meeting - Denmark , 5/5/16

#1 Post by JohnLiles »

This event is organised by Porsche 356 Club Danmark , I have registered to go , so thought I would post here about it !

It will be centred on Aarhus , 56.2 degrees of latitude North , on about the same level as a lot of Scotch whisky production .

For people travelling from UK , you need to choose which sea crossing to take , suggest Harwich to Hook of Holland , which still leaves about 9 hours of driving through Holland and Northern Germany . There is no direct ferry to Denmark from UK .

My car is a 356C which has spent half its life at 55.8 degrees of latitude so it should feel at home , hopefully will not need snow tyres 8)

1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

Re: 41st International Porsche 356 Meeting - Denmark , 5/5/1

#2 Post by Bill Oldham »

I am thinking of going, and need to make a decision soon in order to ship a car from CA. I would love to tour a bit of Scandinavia before and after. Weather should be mild with minimal rain. Anyone going? Anyone touring? If the preparations are anything like the amazing job done by the Portugal group two years ago, the meeting will be wonderful. But I would also like the chance to car-tour the north; the distances are remarkably short, and there are lots of ferries for fun and relaxation. I would probably take the opportunity to get a bit into northern Germany, an area we long neglected while living several years in the south. (This time it would be TUB BLUE's treat, 2 years ago TUB TOGO got to tour all over southern Europe and TUB BLUE is jealous.)
Bill

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#3 Post by JohnLiles »

Hi Bill , we are going to top and tail our visit with 2-3 days either side of the meeting , and will be taking in some Northern Germany points of interest especially for Porsche related things - not everything happens in Stuttgart !

In Denmark itself there are some Viking museums that are of interest especially to Brits as they overran our country from 800AD to 900AD.....just following up on the Saxons who did the same 500AD to 800AD ;)

For those who want to know more about the event , the official link is

http://www.porsche356meeting2016.com/

James Spears
356 Fan

#4 Post by James Spears »

Ruth and I are going and we plan to tour Scandinavia afterwards. We are shipping our car to Bremerhaven. As with our last adventure we are still having trouble obtaining collision & theft insurance.

Any suggestions for the insurance?
Jim Spears

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bill Oldham »

There is something funny happening with the registry server... tried to post several times.... will try again.
(and then probably all the posts will come through :D .
Jim, Where are you shipping from? I bought insurance from Hagerty (Rick Worm is the man). I switched my regular California policy to them, then they offer shipping and touring insurance out of their UK office (but Rick handles it all.. Very nice to deal with. Rick@HAGERTY.com
I was supposed to deliver TUB BLUE to the shipper today and I couldn't fine the "pink slip" Finally located it in a safety deposit box and will deliver it tomorrow. Here is the car ready (It's been spring here for a few weeks).
bill
Attachments
Blue in February.jpeg

James Spears
356 Fan

#6 Post by James Spears »

TUB BLUE what a great car. We put the car on a boat (Hoegh Autoliners) which leaves Jacksonville on or about March 30th and it arrives in Bremerhaven mid-April. I'm still deciding on the transit insurance as I've received a quote from Rick. I will obtain "green card" insurance from ADAC the German Automobile Club in Bremerhaven. I have yet to find anyone willing to provide theft insurance. We may have time to take a ferry from Kiel to Oslo before the Aarhus event, and then afterwards we'll spend a few days in Copenhagen and who knows where else. The car will stay for six months and we'll ship it back in October.
Jim Spears

Hendrik Moulds
356 Fan

#7 Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I will be there in my cab, went the last time it was in Denmark and it was excellent. Hope it will be as good this time round!

'53 Cabriolet
'61 Notchback

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#8 Post by JohnLiles »

that's great Hendrik ! I am travelling overnight ferry on 2 May from Harwich to Hook of Holland , then travelling up through North Germany slowly to arrive Aarhus on 5 May.

Have a 1955 continental being shipped due to arrive next week but don't think it will be ready in time

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bob Forman »

Hendrik, I don't want to jump the gun but has a venue yet been established for the 42nd meeting in the UK?
Bob Forman

Hendrik Moulds
356 Fan

#10 Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Good morning Bob,

Don't know where the UK international will take place as I've not heard anything about it on this side of the pond.
In fact I'm pretty sure it won't take place here just because nothing has been discussed. I did have a list of countries doing it but can't find it any more.
To be sure I have asked the question and will get back to you if/when I have an answer.

JohnLiles wrote:that's great Hendrik ! I am travelling overnight ferry on 2 May from Harwich to Hook of Holland , then travelling up through North Germany slowly to arrive Aarhus on 5 May.

Have a 1955 continental being shipped due to arrive next week but don't think it will be ready in time

Congratulations on your purchase John, will be nice to meet up at the event.
We are doing a similar thing in travelling up and back slowly so we can visit a few places on the way. The prototyp museum in Hamburg is one definite do you have any other suggestions or ideas?
'53 Cabriolet
'61 Notchback

Hendrik Moulds
356 Fan

#11 Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Hi Bob,

The international will be in England in 2018, probably around the Cambridge area but nothing is finalised.
Next years is in Spain.
'53 Cabriolet
'61 Notchback

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bob Forman »

Thanks Hendrik. At the LA Lit meet last week there was a lot of talk about the UK meeting, supposedly to be held next year. Lots of excitement but I presume that energy will have to be put off a year. Bob
Bob Forman

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#13 Post by JohnLiles »

I'm just back from this event in Denmark , after a trip to Germany to meet friends and visit the Prototyp Museum in Hamburg.

So here are a few pictures and words . On arrival at Aarhus , Radisson Blu Scandinavia hotel , found lots of 356s already parked up in the sunshine . Around 130 cars were registered for the event , the largest contingent were from Germany of course :) .This one took my eye as I like the early cars a lot .....

The following morning everyone headed off to a disused airfield for a slalom event - you know , with cones and tight turnarounds , again in bright sunshine. I spotted a couple of Registry member's cars -

'Tub Blue' , the roadster belonging to Bill and Nancy Oldham

and Jim Spears in his Orange coupe

There were a lot of cars out having fun on the runway , here are a few more

After the airfield there was a trip out to the seaside to see a famous old ship , the Frigate Jylland at Ebeltoft harbour , where a concours was held . Maybe someone else there has some pictures of the cars lined up in their model groupings , as I only took a picture of my favourite , a Continental in Azure blue 8)

Was pleased to meet up with Curt Dansby , and should have tried harder to meet up with Jim Liberty and the other dedicated 356ers representing the USA . Next years International Meeting will be in Spain , and the one after that in the UK :D

James Spears
356 Fan

#14 Post by James Spears »

Great photos. It was an outstanding event. We drove 3000+km in Sweden, Norway and Denmark afterwards and then parked the car. Ruth and I will go back later in the summer to have a go at it again then park it in Paris with a friend. Finally will return once more to finish our six months window after touching ten European countries, then put Chili Pepper on a boat for Florida. Our objective is to win the Florida Owners Group mileage contest.
Jim Spears