39th International Meeting in Portugal

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Bob Forman
356 Fan

39th International Meeting in Portugal

#1 Post by Bob Forman »

My daughter is encouraging me to go to the international meeting and to drag her (no doubt kicking and screaming) along. Last year I did well without my car but this year I am considering shipping my 356 from Seattle to Europe for the meet.

First, is anyone else from our club planning on attending, and, moreover, shipping your car(s) to Europe for the event. I would like recommendations as to how to successfully go about this. And, perhaps, set up some kind of group rate for shipping multiple cars.

Any comments are welcome whether or not you are attending.
Bob Forman

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: 39th International Meeting in Portugal

#2 Post by Jim Liberty »

Bob, Tiffany and I are going to the International Meeting in Portugal next Spring. We signed up after the French event. I shipped my car over, along with two other friend's 356s. You can get a start by contacting Martin Transports International, Thomas Platthoff. 310-635-3604. He is in Carson, CA. If you decide to move forward, I can give you contacts in Rotterdam as well. Thomas is a first class gentleman.

We decided to leave our '59 Coupe in Europe, as touring in a 356 is the ultimate experience for us. If you think you get a lot of looks here in the US, wait and see how the French, Italians and Spanish react.

..............................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Forman »

Jim, I listened to your speech at Strasbourg. Perfect, short and concise. Although, at the hour they finally served dinner you could have gone on for a couple of hours or done a little song and dance to kill time. Oooh, I think I remember dancing with an Alsatian gal who was 6 inches taller than I.

Thanks for the infor, I'll call him on Monday. Please PM me if you like.
Bob Forman

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Oldham »

Bob, Jim
I have registered and am now looking into the best way to ship my 64 Cab (round trip) from California. The CA folks that I know are going for sure are Jim Liberty and Hank Tarbell. Both have cars in Europe so do not need shipping this year. Are any other folks from Ca or environs going and need to ship cars to and from? I gather we might save a bit and/or get better protection (via containers) if we arrange together. I am contacting a number of shippers now, including Jim's suggestion in this thread. So far the shipping costs look reasonable, but the insurance costs almost double the bill.
At this time I anticipate driving my car in Europe from about mid May to about mid June and shipping it back. Having lived in Europe several times, I have folks to visit from Netherlands/Belgium to Southern Germany, so I am flexible about the European port of entry (where I would pick the car up). Similarly, I could drive the car to any port in CA.
I intend to take TUB TOGO and am in the process of reinstalling the Engine at this very moment (after a total restoration of the body and interior plus engine refresh). I also intend to drive TUB TOGO to Santa Fe for a test (probably more miles on the test than in Europe!).
So California folks going to Portugal in '14 or Santa Fe in '13 speak up!
bill
Attachments
IMG_3046.JPG

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

Bill, if possible, ship your car in a container alone. Costs more, but a lot safer. You are right about the insurance, I used Hagerty out of London. There are port fees as well, round trip was about $6K as I remember, however that included $500 to truck the car from Rotterdam to Stuttgart.

......................................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

James Spears
356 Fan

#6 Post by James Spears »

Ruth and I will be picking up our car in Le Havre and driving to Lisbon. Our A Coupe hasn't been on the road much lately but we'll take our time and do our best to make the event on time.

Jim Spears
Jim Spears

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

James, we leave Stuttgart mid May and will take a very leisurely drive through France, Spain and then on to Portugal. Our cousins will be in a Black C Coupe, and we will be in a Silver A. See you in Estoril.

........................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

James Spears
356 Fan

#8 Post by James Spears »

We are supposed to be able to obtain our coupe "Chili Pepper" on May 16th and plan to leave Le Havre on the 17th. I had hoped to spend the night in Le Mans but there are no hotels nearby. Must be a race. Might go to Loire Valley instead. We'll continue to somewhere close to Cognac, possibly take the ferry at Royan and head South thru Medoc and Bordeaux. Then toward Biarritz and into Spain near there and onto Pamplona. My European cell phone is +372 81 502015 also +372 54 747170 If the car doesn't make it we'll find a rent car and drive the rest of the way and be in Estoril by the 29th.
Jim Spears

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

We leave Stuttgart the 21st. and the Loire Valley is our first destination. Amboise is a wonderful town with amazing history. Devinchi (sp) lived there and I believe is buried there as well. His home is open to the public, a must see. Then Bordeaux, Vitoria, Salamanca and Estoril.

We'll keep an eye out for "Chili Pepper" ......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

James Spears
356 Fan

#10 Post by James Spears »

Near Amboise is Chenonceau, the best of the Chateau in Loire. Second best in our opinion is Chambord, and near there is the owner-occupied Chateau-Cheverny. Each day at Cheverny at 5pm they feed their hunting dogs. (Look it up on YouTube). It's not to be missed.
Heading South is Cognac just North of the Bordeaux Region. If you cross the Gironde at Royan by ferry and head South toward Bordeaux you'll skirt the Medoc Region, home of Lafitte Rothchild, Chateau Margeaux, and others. Last September we stayed at a BnB just outside of Lesparre named Domaine de Laguneaussan owned by a couple of Dutchmen. The vineyards are East of D1215 near D2 and run to just North of Bordeaux. We've also stayed at Hotel de France et d'Angleterre in Pauillac, plain but not expensive. Our daughter has run the Marathon du Medoc twice so if you have any runners along that event might interest them. You might try lunch at Café Lavinal where I saw a 356 a few years back.
A short distance East of Bordeaux is St Emilion, a bit touristy but still neat.
Keep an eye out for us along the side of the road.
Jim Spears

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#11 Post by Jim Liberty »

James, wonderful, thank you. ......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Mike TEMPELS
356 Fan

#12 Post by Mike TEMPELS »

Hello Jim,
I am coming from Belgium with 2 T6 coupe and drive +/- the same way.
both cars transported on truck and trailer and ...spare parts.
If you have a problem on the road try to call me, maybe i can help !?!
Cell phone 00.32.475.24.89.61
I met Jim Liberty in Merano 2012 with my grey T6 coupe with blue.... door and badged luggage, he must remember.
Hope to meet you all in Portugal.

Mike Tempels
Mike TEMPELS
Manufacture Tempels

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

Mike, I do remember, I love the car. I have your phone number, and hopefully we won't be calling "HELP", see you in Portugal.

...........................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

James Spears
356 Fan

#14 Post by James Spears »

Mike,
I will have your number in my possession. Thanks for the offer.

Jim Spears
Jim Spears

Roland Dietrich
356 Fan

#15 Post by Roland Dietrich »

Hi Mike,
I will drive together with Jim and Tiffany to Portugal. My cell phone No is 0049-177-55 30 840 in case we need to get in touch with each other-.

Roland