Pics of John Wilberg's San Diego shop in 1992

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Daryl Bertram
356 Fan

Pics of John Wilberg's San Diego shop in 1992

#1 Post by Daryl Bertram »

Here are some pics I snapped at John Wilberg's restoration shop in San Diego in 1992. I had stopped by previously with a friend and met John who allowed me to come back to measure/take pics under a Pre-A that was under restoration. I needed to see that triangular area between the front wheels in particular. John's shop was a blue collar art museum in my eyes so I pointed the camera around a bit. Maybe some San Diego Registry members will recognize their car there. When I was finished with the Pre-A measurements John with a smile presented me with the round drain piece I would need for the triangular area. I don't know about now but back then that piece was un-obtainium. Very cool.
Attachments
Wilberg shop 11.jpg
Wilberg shop 10.jpg
Wilberg shop 9.jpg
Wilberg shop 8.jpg
Wilberg shop 7.jpg
Wilberg shop 6.jpg
Wilberg shop 5.jpg
Wilberg shop 4.jpg
Wilberg shop 3.jpg
Wilberg shop 2.jpg

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Re: Pics of John Wilberg's San Diego shop in 1992

#2 Post by Steve Proctor »

Was this the little shop on India Street? Next to the shop that the late guru Richard Miller had and Sergio's machine shop??? Every year, Richard and John would host an open house. Anything and everything cool with an internal combustion engine was welcome and the parking lot on the end and streets around the shops were a five-hour car show. John was ahead of his time, bringing cars back from the dead as they do now. He moved back to New York and of course, Richard passed on.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Chad Comeau
356 Fan
Tag: Upstate NY

#3 Post by Chad Comeau »

California's loss and my gain! It is always fun to visit John who is a short hour away!

Chad
Chad T. Comeau

Daryl Bertram
356 Fan

#4 Post by Daryl Bertram »

Yes that's the shop on India Street. Thanks for some history; I had only stopped by the shop these two times in '92. I wish had known John better before he moved to New York. My son was born in '93 and my 356 project took a 20 year hiatus while I enjoyed my son's childhood. No regrets there but maybe I should have spent a few hrs a week keeping the pre-a restoration moving forward. Or I should have dropped it off at John's shop back then!

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#5 Post by Trevor Gates »

Thanks for posting. Reminds me of another real shop: http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/6/30400.html
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Brian Southwell
356 Fan

And some from the "new" shop in NY

#6 Post by Brian Southwell »

A few pictures I took in July. The '73 is mine and the reason for the road trip.

http://briansouth.smugmug.com/Cars/Juandos-cave
Brian Southwell
Houston, Texas

Daryl Bertram
356 Fan

#7 Post by Daryl Bertram »

Haha great pics Brian! I see the 'front clips on the wall art' have carried over to the 'new' shop. I like that and also the poster girl is easy on the eyes too. I suspect that is John under the towel in the group shot. :~)
Trevor I couldn't pull up your thread to see the shop you mention but I'll bet it's Jack Stagg's shop. I stopped in for the first time at the end of the day for his 40th Anniversary Party and was equally enthralled. I took some pics inside and outside 'cause I just couldn't help myself. The twin grill lid hanging with all the badges called to me...

Daryl Bertram
356 Fan

#8 Post by Daryl Bertram »

Twin Grill Art at Jack Stagg's shop
Attachments
Jack Stagg's shop1.jpg