39th International Meeting in Portugal

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
James Spears
356 Fan

Re: 39th International Meeting in Portugal

#16 Post by James Spears »

Roland,
I'm recording your number too, if you don't mind.

Jim Spears
Jim Spears

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#17 Post by Jim Liberty »

Guys, I don't know if I posted our route, but here is where we are going:
May 23/24 Amboise from Stuttgart
May 25 Bordeaux
May 26 Vitoria
May 27/28 Salamanca
May 29 Estoril

Hope to see you on the road, and hope any calls are social. ..............................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#18 Post by Craig Richter »

Hi, All Portugal Travelers,
Mandy and I picked up Speedy in Lelystad, and we just arrived back home in Austria yesterday evening. As soon as we all dry out, we'll be ready to hit the road to warm Portugal. Since our journey to Estoril begins from here near Salzburg, our route will be a little different than yours (Mandy wants to go by Lourdes again), but we should join the procession route around Bayonne. Our handy number is 0043 644 435 7271. Really looking forward to seeing you all.
Craig
Last edited by Craig Richter on Sun May 11, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike TEMPELS
356 Fan

#19 Post by Mike TEMPELS »

My road :
Monday may 26 start from Belgium to Bordeaux +/- 990km
Tuesday may 27 Bordeaux - Salamanca +/- 680km
Wednesday may 28 Salamanca - Estoril +/- 490km

My cell phone # 00.32.475.24.89.61

Have a very nice trip to Estoril

Mike
Mike TEMPELS
Manufacture Tempels

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#20 Post by Jim Liberty »

Mike we are in Salamanca May 26. ......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bill Oldham »

Fellas,
Thanks for sharing some phone numbers. Mine will be simply plus 1 then area code five one zero then 917-0877. I am carrying a lot of spare parts and tools. Sorry about the fractured number... always trying to fool the robots.
With a month of time Nancy and I are taking a more leisurely route in TUB TOGO. Pick up Rotterdam and leave Amsterdam on May 12. We visit friends in Stuttgart area, Erlangen, Munich then take a quick trip over to Gmünd (its been more than 10 years since we were last there). So May 20 we set off from Gmünd. Our route is guided by my interest in cycling some famous peaks in Italy, France, Spain (I have adapted the luggage rack to be a bike rack). So some dates: Chambery May 22 ; Bedoin May 23-24 (Mt Ventoux); Andorra May 25; Luz St Suvier then Lerma Spain May26, 27; Covilha Portugal May 28. After we leave June 1 we will go via via Granada, Girona, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Roubaix and hopefully arrive back in Rotterdam for sending car home June 10, ..... we can talk hopefully in Estoril.
Jim, I do not have your phone number, perhaps you could send me by private email?
Cheers to all
bill oldham

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#22 Post by Jim Liberty »

Bill, we are communicating with my cousin's phone. The number is earlier in this thread. He will be in his '65 Black Coupe, and we will be in a Silver '59. If you can't find it, please let me know, and I'll dig it up. He lives in Stuttgart, and has a German hone number.

............................................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

Porsche 356 International Meeting, Portugal

#23 Post by Jim Liberty »

All attending this event, I have been in communication with the Chairman, and has clarified the dress code for the Gala Dinner. It is "Black and White". Here are his words, "Black and White means anything elegant in those colors (i.e. Black trousers with White shirt or White blazer, Black suit with White shirt, etc. And ladies the same, anything elegant Black with anything elegant White.

Simple but elegant. Not Black tie".

No Black jeans, the Registry guys & gals on the Continent take these events quite seriously. ...................................................Jim.

PS. Tiff and I have been to many of these, and they are wonderful !!!
Jim Liberty

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

Re: Porsche 356 International Meeting, Portugal

#24 Post by Bill Oldham »

Jim,
Thanks for the clarification; great news. Those of us from the provinces (like Maui) are not sure what "black and white" mean, and in any case do not have things like "dinner jackets" (what are they?) Your response opened up all kind of possible costumes in good taste and meeting the desired goal of having everyone looking sharp and feeling good at an elegant affair. See you there! What a great weekend it will be.
(Actually, if we were not leaving Saturday, I could have even purchased a Tuxedo; but I hate to accumulate things that I will likely not use again; Its great for the economy but not for the earth).
Bill

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#25 Post by Bob Forman »

Last year in Strasbourg Hendrick Moulds (please forgive my indiscretion for publishing this) wore a black dress shirt, black levis, black belt, and black and white tennis shoes. He looked quite avant garde.

However, and if this photo shows up, these were the best-dressed people at the party.
Attachments
phpU4r35YAM[1].jpg
phpU4r35YAM[1].jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Bob Forman

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#26 Post by Bob Forman »

Here's another photo.
Attachments
The Godfather was also there.  Dressed appropriately.
The Godfather was also there. Dressed appropriately.
phpF0UrESAM[1].jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 10699 times
phpGlb8pVAM[1].jpg
phpGlb8pVAM[1].jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 10699 times
Bob Forman

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#27 Post by Jim Liberty »

I do not know the lady's name, but her outfits are incredible. I understand she makes everything herself, even the purses. She is a highlight, and a delight. .....................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#28 Post by Bill Oldham »

On our way to Estoril from Rotterdam, we took some side trips. Below is a photo of my car in front of the Gmuend Museum. The owner likes all 356’s not painted silver, so he let me put my car at the front door for the photo. That was yesterday. The second photo is today near the top of the pass into Davos.
Based on our few days on the road, here are some tips:
1) Buy the ADAC 83 Euro membership…. they change tires, tow you home, provide a rent-a-car etc. An incredible bargain. You need a European address…any address will do…. the permanent plastic membership info will be sent there, but you do not need it. But this is the place they will tow to if you do not want to go to the nearest shop. Luckily I joined and have used it already.
2) Be aware that, at least in Germany, no one will mount tubeless on our old 356 rims because they are missing the “hump” that is supposed to retain the tire sidewalls. They will insist on a tube.
3) Be aware that tubes are not available at any normal establishment (So take a spare tube)
4) Be aware that, at least in Munich, Porsche has no interest in you and carries no parts for our cars (like tubes or stems). Most of all they do not attempt to be helpful. Luckily though, many wonderful folks are around at various establishments, so keep asking. I find that about one in two or one in three will go way way out of their way to help you, especially if you can speak some German.
5) There is a firm “Muenchner Oldtimer Reifen” that does have tires and tubes. It is located in Holzkirchen (south of Munich) and owned by a super guy, Valentin Schaal. Telephone +4980246794. http://www.oldtimer-reifen.com They saved my but on Monday after I spent all day searching in vain in Munich trying to get a flat fixed.
So we are now in Switzerland and actually going to start heading south to get to Portugal. About 1500 miles so far (8 days).
bill
Attachments
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG (101.12 KiB) Viewed 10608 times

James Spears
356 Fan

#29 Post by James Spears »

It's Sunday and we've made it to Salamanca having fought a lot of rain through France but a beautiful two days in Spain. Leaving this morning for Portugal. Keep an eye open for us on the road.

Jim & Ruth Spears +372 81 50 20 15
Jim Spears

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#30 Post by Paul Kust »

To those members going to the meet in Portugal, look for this car and its owner Carlos Poupado. This was my first Porsche that I bought in 1974 and he recently restored it back to the original color although it had the light grey interior and he preferred red, it turned out looking beautiful. These cars sure cover a lot of ground from Portland, Oregon to Portugal, have a great time! :D
Attachments
Here it is today, ready for another 40 years of enjoyment
Here it is today, ready for another 40 years of enjoyment
Here is a picture of it before restoration and as when I had it in the US
Here is a picture of it before restoration and as when I had it in the US
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611