356 Club Dana Point Concours July 21st, 2013!

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Jeff Trask
356 Fan

356 Club Dana Point Concours July 21st, 2013!

#1 Post by Jeff Trask »

The 28th Annual 356 Club of Southern California Dana Point Concours is upon us. On July 21st, 2013 the Porsche world will again converge on Lantern Bay Park in Dana Point, California for the only 356 only fully judged concours in the world. Cars come from all over North America and for the first time, it looks like we'll have some international entries.

The 356 Club of Southern California would like to invite you to bring your 356 to be judged. This year, for the first time, all registration will take place online. Below, you will find the link for the registration and we encourage you to participate. There are nine classes and this year we've brought back the "Unrestored" class (Interestingly, there are already 3 cars signed up!).

Once again, the 356 Club of Southern California is inviting the Porsche community to be a part of it. As is the custom, any Porsche can come and display on the grass with the 356's to be judged. No, they are not eligible for trophies, but it's amazing to see the 350 plus Porsche's that come out in support of the concours competitors. It is one of the best displays of Porsche's to assemble at any time!

The Laguna Cliffs Marriott is the host hotel. It is directly connected to Lantern bay Park and there is plenty of covered parking for those wishing to stay the night before the event at the hotel. Please contact the Laguna Cliffs Marriott at 949-661-5000 and ask for the "356 Club Dana Point Concours" rate. Stoddard is sponsoring a reception for competitors and Porsche owners on Saturday evening at the Marriott so plan on being there for the party.
Registration

Please click the following link to register:

https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/ ... eq=&c=&ch=

Registration is only open until July 11th, 2013 so please register as soon as possible!

Weekend Schedule

Saturday July 20th

2:00 PM - Tour d'Elegance (Open to any Porsche that wants to go)
5:30 - 7:00 Stoddard Reception at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott

Sunday July 21st

6:00 AM Judged car placement begins
8:30 AM All Porsche's welcomed on the lawn to park
9:00 AM Judging begins
11:30 AM Lunch served
1:00 PM Award presentation

Classes:

Divisions are Full Concours, Street Concours and Wash and Shine
Class 1) up to '55
Class 2) '56-'59
Class 3) '60-'61
Class 4) '62-'63
Class 5) '64-'65
Class 6) Special Interest/Competition
Class 7) Carrera
Class 8) Outlaw
Class 9) Unrestored (Judged as a group)

We'll also be awarding "Best Display" and "People's Choice"

The 356 Club of Southern California wishes to thank you for your support of this event. We are proud to bring this world class concours and do it with our local members. Please come and enjoy what is a very unique Southern California Porsche event!

Sincerely,

Jeff Trask
Chairman
NO911NV@aol.com
949-697-4499
356 Club of Southern California
Various Vintage Porsche's

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

Re: 356 Club Dana Point Concours July 21st, 2013!

#2 Post by Dick Douglass »

Here are my cleaning products recommendations for you to use to prepare your 356 for this years 356 Concours on July 21st. at Dana Point.
a) SWAB-KIT from Schnell Autosports, In LA Area. Marge and her group put together a superior package of cleaning swabs. www.schnellautosports.com
b) Microfibre towels and cleaning supplies by TCs Garage in Vista, Ca. Tom and Bev have had the right products for over 30 years. www.TCsGarage.com or call 760-295-3330.
c)www.casabella.com has clean brushes that flex so you can get under the fuel pump or behind the carbs. found at local stores
d) Derma-lite Powered Nitrile Gloves ( 6609 blue) by SAS. in Long Beach, Ca. Superior Puncture & Abrasion Resistance, Latex- FREE, Textured Grip, AMBIDEXTROUS.
www.sassafety.com or Napa Auto Parts.
e) Led Inspectors and light Crafters with lens strength from 1.5 X to 3.0 X. If you can see the dirt you can clean the dirt. Again available at www.sassafety.com.
f) follow Jim Alton's instructions on how to clean the glass. For the final cleaning use distilled water and a microfiber towel inside and outside the glass right before the judging begins.

DD
Our next detail clinic at Lavaggio in Agoura Hills will be Sept. 14th

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Dick, all very interesting, BUT does this have anything to do with 356's...or is it how you make a car ( read any car or for that matter inanimate object) sterile and clean to the touch. Inquiring minds want to know :wink:
IMHO, a true car enthusiast couldn't give a hoot as to how clean their car is. A detailer would care about this, BUT NOT a real car enthusiast, IMHO. I have been a car enthusiast since I could barely walk. Cleanliness might be next to godliness, but NOTHING to do with anything except how to make something shine and be sterile. Might as well clean the silver, LOL. :shock:

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Douglass »

Here is my reply to Dave Finburgh and his inquiring mind.

The topic was for 356 owners who were going to show at Dana Point last weekend. Many owners ask what do you do to clean your car? What products are best for 1 stage paint? Should I use a cleaner on my vinyl seats? I tell them that the vinyl or leather was dyed and should be cleaned with warm water and a splash of lemon, not Simple Green.

I was raised in Burlingame and we started out with the Hillsborough Concours. I remember Bing and Katherine Cosby and the kids stopping by to visit with the owners of the car being judged. The owners are car enthusiast and had staff cleaning the cars. We moved onto Monterey and I was so impressed with the race cars and pits being so clean. 904's 910, Carrerra's all super clean. Owned by car enthusiast. When you blow a seal or an engine the first place to look is where the oil is dripping. Much easier to spot when the car was clean.

When I first got involved with 356's I visited Bob Campbell in Santa Clarita and I would say he is a car enthusiast and the Cab restoration didn't look sterile to me. It was beautiful.

During the week before the LA Lit meet we have a chance to visit many 356 shops in the area and John Wilhoit's in Long Beach always looks to me like how a very successful shop should look like. He is a Professional, and a car enthusiast.

When you see pictures of Dana Point this year you will see how clean and shinny the 356's were before the clouds moved in. The intent of my post was to give the 356 owner who was cleaning their 356 for Dana Point, access to products that they might not know about. Take it or leave it.

I'm not a car detailer, but stay at Holiday Inn's when traveling.

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Dick, your intent was obvious in your post. At least to me. However, wouldn't better advice be to give the many attendees a primer on what is truly important on these cars....that being whether they have the right engine, correct brakes, proper panel fit, correct parts, accurate fit and finish etc, to what came from the factory. How to determine these issues would seem to me to be FAR more important than whether the car is sterilely clean, LOL :) . Unless of course, one really isn't truly interested in the car itself, BUT is more concerned with being in a detailer's competition :shock: All IMHO.

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Scallon »

Dave,
You sure seem to think your way of thinking is the best. Who are you to judge whether a focus on cleanliness is more important than a focus on making sure your car is exactly how it came from the factory?
If someone is into keeping their car really clean, I don't see any problem with that. I certainly don't find it necessary to ridicule them for it.

-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Frederick Adler
356 Fan

#7 Post by Frederick Adler »

It is all by class. The full concours is for really trailer queen cars that are perfect down to every nut and bolt, then there is "street concours" which is not to far from the top but some wear is present, then there is "wash and shine". People who don't win at the top seem to move down the food chain so even "wash and shine" is pretty darn competitive with me getting docked for dust in the door jams. The guy next to me got docked for dust on top of the washer reservoir and the last one of these I went to elsewhere, the guy got docked for a white glove inspection behind the gas pedal. It is all in what is important to you. The full concours is sometimes a competition between the professional restorers which is fine but I want to drive mine so wash and shine is just fun because lunch is included.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#8 Post by Roy Lock »

Concouring at Dana Point has morphed into many different contests. It depends on your flavor. Fred, judging can be based on a whole slew of variables. In the case of all judging, judges have to pick a series of areas and then be consistent in judging all cars in the class. I believe Bob Kann won in street class with his 56/57 coupe and he did all the work except for paint.

In 1988 I won Best of Show with my 62 S90 Roadster with a crew consisting of great friends. We worked on weekends for months on the car. So, even in full concours, the little guy can win. You just have to have the will to do it.

As with any competition, you have to know how to compete and how to interpret the rules. I practiced with my 63 S90 Sunroof coupe, which only came in third at a West Coast Holiday.

On another related subject, IMHO I think Dave Finburg objected to was the fact that this is the "EVENTS" thread and the thread went way off subject with cleaning tips. Maybe that should have been part of Bob Kann's what to clean thread not this one.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Greg you say: "You sure seem to think your way of thinking is the best. Who are you to judge whether a focus on cleanliness is more important than a focus on making sure your car is exactly how it came from the factory?"
Greg, as I stated in my post...that is MY OPINION. Do you not think that the term "concours" should perhaps be changed to the term.." Detailer's competition"? After all, isn't cleanliness ( or perhaps we should say sterility, because that seems to me ( again MY OPINION) that this is what is the MOST important aspect of this competition).
BTW, who are you to judge me? Is your opinion ( which BTW is all that it is) more valid than mine... :shock:
2nd BTW, I don't give a rat's ass IF someone thinks having a sterilely clean car is important to them, if that's their thing, more power. BUT do we REALLY need to place that desire on the same plane or higher than someone who respects originality and correctness of the 356 automobile. You tell me?
Lastly, Roy pointed out another reason behind my post. Are you upset at that point too? :(

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Scallon »

Dave. I just didn't think it was necessary, or very nice, to ridicule the idea of wanting to detail a car right after Dick wrote a long detailed post on how to do it. He's obviously into the detailing thing so why jump on a soapbox and tell him, and everyone else, that his interests are lame. If he was giving a presentation on detailing to a tech-session crowd and was clearly passionate about it, would you feel the need to stand up and tell that crowd that he should really be focused on originality? Such an action wouldn't be in good taste in my opinion, yet that's what it seemed like you were doing.

It's not a big deal, and I'm sorry if I jumped all over you, but your post just didn't seem in good spirit.

I'll leave it at that so the original thread topic can continue.
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Agree with Fred -
In most classes and instances it's a contest in car detailing, with car authenticity of minor importance - if at all.
- Wil

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Wil you stated: "In most classes and instances it's a contest in car detailing, with car authenticity of minor importance - if at all."-- That's pretty much my point. Is this what the real 356 enthusiast wants at a concours event? :?:

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

Since I am one who has little interest in detailing competitions, I was just not reading this thread until I took a look this morning. It is just like choosing a radio station or a concert- don't complain about the ones you don't like, just find a different one. Of course, I always feel like MY tastes and opinions are the best ones, but I wouldn't generally tell anyone that- they don't want to hear that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Finburgh
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Finburgh »

Martin, that's a good point, assuming that one had a choice :( :!: Anyone aware of a concours held in the US that's NOT a detailing contest :?:

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

All the best stations don't even play concours at all :P
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna