Third Coast 356 Oktoberfest: Event Report & Photos

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Bill Waite
356 Fan

Third Coast 356 Oktoberfest: Event Report & Photos

#1 Post by Bill Waite »

We had a blast!

The "Third Coast 356 Oktoberfest" at Gull Lake, MI just ended today. The first day's weather was perfect (sunny and about 70 degrees) and the Fall season colors were at their peak. It gradually got colder each day and some rain dampened the outdoor tire kicking a bit, but everyone seemed to enjoy the indoor tours of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, the private car collection at the "Off Brother's Garage" and the Gilmore Car Museum.

We are hoping that participants will post some of their event photos and comments here. About 80 people were originally registered, with over forty (40) 356's expected. There were some late cancellations due to illness or other conflicts, but last night's "Oktoberfest" dinner served about 70 people.

In addition to posting some photos, west Michigan's "Gang of Five" will use this thread to publicly thank the sponsors for their generosity and support. We also want to encourage other Registry members to consider holding similar "low key - low cost" events. To that end, we will be glad to share our experiences and will be adding a supplement to the very helpful "event planning checklist" George Bryan and Georgia's "Gang of Three" gave us last year after their event.

More photos and comments will be posted here tomorrow, but the following will provide a start.

Regards,

The Six Members of West Michigan's "Gang of Five" ((Tom Kayser, Fred Harrison, Doug McDonnell, Justin Escher, Bill Hallack, and Bill Waite)
Part of the "line-up" at the Air Zoo...
Part of the "line-up" at the Air Zoo...
IMG_0962 (2).JPG
Attachments
IMG_0970 (2).JPG
IMG_0969 (2).JPG
IMG_0968 (2).JPG
IMG_0967 (2).JPG
IMG_0966 (2).JPG
IMG_0965 (2).JPG
IMG_0964 (2).JPG
IMG_0963 (2).JPG
Last edited by Bill Waite on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Bill Waite
356 Fan

Re: Third Coast 356 Oktoberfest: Event Comments & Photos

#2 Post by Bill Waite »

Some more photos: these are from the tour of the award winning private car collection of Ron Elenbaas & Bill Johnston. The collection is housed in the "Off Brother's Garage" on beautiful Gull Lake, Michigan.
Attachments
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE010.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE009.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE008.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE007.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE006.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE005.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE004.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE003.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE002.JPG
OFF BROTHERS GARAGE001.JPG
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#3 Post by Phil Planck »

My wife Nancy and I had a great time at this event. Unfotunately, I took no pictures as I forgot to bring the camera out of the motel room every time. She got a few on her cell phone, but that is another challenge for us to get them from there to here. The "gang" did a great job putting this together. My thanks to them and the sponsors. Adam, the Goodie back was great!
Phil Planck

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Although I was unable to finish my car prior to the event I would like to thank everyone who participated in the event. I had a great time. A big Thank You to our hosts Bill and Mary Ellen Walls who own the Gull Lake Inn. You and your staff were wonderful. I would also like to thank the many venders who provided goodie bags and door prizes,including Adam from Unobtanium,Ron LaDow of Precision Matters,Al Zim,Stoddards,The Registry Goodie Store,The Lereyn Company. It was wonderful to meet so many interesting people. You are the ones who made the event such a success, Thank You Doug McDonnell Gang of Five
Attachments
porsche 356 c as of 0ct 7th 2012 003.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Fred Lawrence
356 Fan

#5 Post by Fred Lawrence »

On the way to the Air Zoo, Marsha held the camera over the Speedster's windshield and grabbed a few shots. The one here is the best of the bunch. There's also another view of the cars parked in front of the air zoo, this one from the other end; An interior view of the Air Zoo, the Speedster in the Gull Lake Inn parking lot and the parking lot at Off Brothers.
Attachments
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0041.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg
Fred E. Lawrence
1958 356A Speedster 84037
Registry Member #19656

"If the opposite of "pro" is "con, then what's the opposite of "progress?"

John Pitman
356 Fan

Re: Third Coast 356 Oktoberfest: Event Report & Photos

#6 Post by John Pitman »

Having just learned to use these forums I previously accidently sent another e-mail to Bill Waite. I really salivated over your weekend in my old home state. I was originally from Lake Odessa and graduated from Western MI in 1956. I used to pass by Gull Lake on M-43 going home some weekends. I was just up there in June for my 60th HS Reunion and stayed in GR. My 1961 356B Roadster 88971 would have been at home last weekend. A few years ago we had our 50th College 'Blast From The Past' in K-zoo so I got to the Air Zoo and Gilmore Auto Collection. I learned to fly near where the Air Zoo now resides in 1953. You 'Gang Of Five or is it Six' keep up the great work. I'll be looking for more pics in the next Registry pub.
Dick Pitman
Chester, VA
9-16-12 15. Roadster-Early Porsche 1st Place Classics.JPG
9-16-12 13. Roadster Classics R Front.JPG
9-16-12 14. Roadster @ Classics R Rear.JPG

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#7 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Thank you all for posting pictures. I noticed one from state of Georgia. Anyone recall who dove up from Georgia? Also, was a long distance driver awarded? If so, who and where?

Gracias!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bill Waite »

Hi Mark,

The folks who drove up from Georgia were Roy and Alice Garrison from Jasper, GA. They are good friends of Bill Hallack & his wife Linda (Bill is one of the "Gang of Five").

Originally, we thought we'd only attract members from the mid-west, but in the end we had about 70 people attend with participants from the following places:

West Bend, WI, Windham, NH, Indianapolis, IN, West Bloomfield, MI, Argile, TX, Jasper, GA, Urbana, IL, Cincinnati, OH, Bedford, TX, Cleveland, OH, Dayton, OH, New Ulm, TX, Houston, TX, Mainville, OH, Tyler, TX, Jamestown, PA, Lincoln, MI, Superior Township, MI, Baldwinsville, NY, Columbia, MD, Langley, WA, Hilliard, OH, West Chester, PA, Billings, MT, Kalamazoo, MI, Clearwater, FL, Bannockburn, IL, Rosco, IL, N. Barrington, IL, Grand Haven, MI, Ann Arbor, MI, Tecumseh, MI, Hickory Corners, MI, Dearborn, MI, Kent, OH, Franklin, MI, Franklin, MI, Stow, OH, Coumbus, OH, Grand Rapids, MI, Augusta, MI, Richland, MI, and Portage, MI.

So… the long distance "award" went to Tom Olson from Langly, WA (1823.6 miles). We also recognized the four (4) Registry members who made the trip from Texas for having the most “combined mileage” from one state.

If you look closely, you'll see an Alaska license plate: Grahm Beckett and Susan Peacock made the trip from Billings, MT with a car that is registered in Alaska. I think Tom Olson's is also registered in Alaska (could be wrong).

Regards,

Bill
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Bill,
I hope that couple from West Chester PA behaved themselves! Did you have to ask him to stop doing burnouts? :P
Cliff
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#10 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Bill Waite wrote:So… the long distance "award" went to Tom Olson from Langly, WA (1823.6 miles). We also recognized the four (4) Registry members who made the trip from Texas for having the most “combined mileage” from one state.
To me, it is those who drive them the most, and farthest that deserve the recognition. Is their a picture of Tom and his 356?

Thank you Bill
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bill Waite »

I've attached a photo of Tom Olson and his '62 coupe below... and also a photo of Graham Beckett and Susan Peacock from Billings, MT and their 65 coupe. Both cars sported Alaskan license plates!

Couldn't agree with you more, Mark. Those who drive their 356's to events like this, and all over the country... deserve great credit!
Attachments
TOM OLSON.JPG
TOM OLSONS 65 COUPE.JPG
GRAHAM BECKETT & SUSAN PEACOCK.JPG
GRAHAM BECKETTS 65 COUPE.JPG
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#12 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Here are more images.

What a terrific event! Low key was the theme and the participants took that to heart.

Concours? Yup, every time we parked somewhere. Tech sessions? Yup, every time people got into a good conversation, questions were asked and answered. Driving tours? Yup, participants were able to pick from one of many. Banquet? Yup, at the cozy Gull lake Inn clubhouse. Super low key, great fun.

I look forward to other regional groups stepping up like the Gang of Three in Georgia and the Michigan Gang of Five in the future.
Attachments
01.JPG
08.JPG
07.JPG
06.JPG
05.JPG
04.JPG
03.JPG
02.JPG
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

Hey Sebastian, How come you drove your 300SL to the event? :P
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#14 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

It looked like rain that day. I sure as heck didn't want to get my good car wet. :shock:

That was one of the offerings at the Off Brothers Garage, and man was it beautiful.

Funny though how the 300SL is one of only a few cars where the closed version is more desireable....go figure.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

C J Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by C J Murray »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:Funny though how the 300SL is one of only a few cars where the closed version is more desireable....go figure.
But both are very pretty, just like an E-Type. I don't think you would be shunned for having a roadster.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion