2012 Fall Festival

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Bob Lee
356 Fan

2012 Fall Festival

#1 Post by Bob Lee »

I'm starting a new updated topic for the Fall Festival at the Tenaya Lodge. You can book on-line at www.tenayalodge.com by using the group code 30N7VL. Alternatively, reservations can be made by calling Tenaya lodge reservations at 800-635-5807, option #2 to make reservations, our special rate is $185 per night.
I have been able to add an additional ten rooms so come and get them. I will be adding the finalize agenda in the next couple of weeks. Once again the dates are October,12th through the 14th. At this time we have 105 cars and 158 people from all over the country that have planed to attend.

We'll see your there Back under my Rock I go
Bob Lee
Fall Festival Chairman
356 Registry member 16135
Porsche 356 Club member
912 Registry member 1588-R

Bob Lee
356 Fan

Re: 2012 Fall Festival

#2 Post by Bob Lee »

OK Gang, Im posting the drives for Friday and Saturday for the Fall Festival, many thanks to Cody Taylor for putting this together. I then will post the complete agenda for the event in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Bob Lee
Fall Festival Chairman

Fridays drive:

The Yosemite Valley Driving Tour

A sight seeing driving tour

This is a self-guiding tour.
Leaving time - approximately 10:30 or on your own.

Head north on Highway 41 to the South Gate entrance. The park charges $20.00 per car entrance fee. If you are 62 or over you can purchase a Golden Age Pass for $10.00. It is a life-time pass. Yosemite Valley is the most magnificent park in the world. If you have never visited it, this is a must.

Gorgeous water falls, deer, bear, all kinds of birds can be seen on the way in. Be sure to stop and view the Wawona Hotel. Plenty of history and sightseeing. Stop at the tunnel view, take pictures. When on the valley floor marvel at El Capitan Rock. Another fantastic place is the Ahwahnee Grand Hotel. Have lunch. Tour the Grand, built in 1927. It is a triple four diamond hotel. The Queen of England has dined there and many United States Presidents. The dining room is tremendous. The map will take you to the Yosemite Village and all the sites.

Enjoy,
Cody Taylor

Driving time to valley floor one hour and 33 minutes.

Saturdays drive and tour:

BASS LAKE WINE CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL TOUR

A casual sightseeing/driving tour

This tour will take us South from Fish Camp (The Tenaya Lodge) to beautiful Bass Lake and the surrounding area. Bass Lake is a warm water lake at 3400 ft. with beautiful private and vacation homes and resorts. The lake is 4 miles long and ½ mile wide. Good fishing and water sports. We will cruise around the south part of the lake, circle back and end up at the Oakhurst Memorial Park where we have been invited by Oakhurst’s Chamber of Commerce to the Oakhurst Wine and Chocolate Festival. You will receive a coupon for a wine glass in your Goodie bag to taste local wine and sample some delicious local chocolates. Added to our afternoon at the park is the Corvette club’s annual car show and this year 100 Corvettes will be on display.

Directions:
Departure time: 1:15 Saturday
Travel south on Hwy 41 through the forest to Road 222, make a left turn and follow this road until you come to where 222 turns right then bends left, then makes a right turn. This will put you on the south side of the lake. Continue on this road passing numerous camp sites and “The Forks Restaurant” home of the famous “Forks Burger”. The lake will be on the left. Continue zig zagging, passing Miller’s Landing on your right and viewing the homes across the lake and passing Wishon Point. Then The Bass Lake Dam project. 222 will change to 221 proceed on 221 until you reach a right hand turn onto 223. Follow 223 crossing Crane Valley Road, continue on 223, it will change to 426 heading to Oakhurst. When arriving in Oakhurst, you will cross a short bridge and stop at a light. Make a left hand turn passing the Oakhurst Library to the Oakhurst Memorial Park parking lot. Walk across the Log Foot Bridge to the park.

Note: there is additional parking across 426 and at the Rite-Aid drugstore.

This tour is approximately 1 hour driving time at this point.

Highlights:

Wine tasting
Chocolate tasting, Corvette Car Show, various
Vendors
Return trip, you are on your own
Remember the Cocktail Hour starts at 5:30

Bob Lee
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Lee »

OK Gang, here's the agenda for the 2012 Fall Festival. This info will also be in your goddie bag along with tour maps and special other goddies.
Bob Lee
Fall Festival Chairman

Schedule of Events for the 2012 Fall Festival:

Friday, October 12

9:00-6:00 Registration

10:30-?? Driving tour to Yosemite valley ( directions in your goddie bag)

4:00-5:00 Tech Talk ( reproduction parts) Brad Ripley

5:00-7:00 Hospitality Room Opens with door prizes, no host bar

7:00-?? Dinner on your own

Saturday, October 13

7:00-8:00 (West Parking Lot) Car show Prep and Placement

7:00-10:00 Registration Opens

8:00-11:00 Ladies Judged Car Show

11:15-1:00 Buffet Lunch

1:15-4:30 Driving Tour to Oakhurst ( Maps in your goddie bag)

6:00-7:00 Pre-dinner Socializing no host bar

7:15-10:00 Banquet, Car Show Awards, Auction and Door Prizes

Sunday, October 14

7:00-?? (West Parking Lot) Swap Meet with Free Coffee

Bob Lee
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Lee »

10 more rooms have just been opened up.
Bob lee
Fall Festival Chairman

Bob Lee
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Lee »

On Aug. 4th I have opened up ten more rooms :P
Bob Lee
Fall Festival Chairman

Bob Lee
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Lee »

OK Folks,
If you need to book your rooms at the lodge you will need to call them, do not book them on line. :wink:
Bob Lee
Fall Festival Chairman

Bob Lee
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bob Lee »

For those of you who would like to meet a couple of true Porsche race icons here's your chance. Dave Wolin is the one putting on the Oakhurst events that we have been invited to the same weekend of the Fall festival (see agenda and Saturday drive info).
See his email to me and his invitation. :P
Bob Lee
Fall Festival Chairman

> I just can't get away to attend your Saturday night deal. But here's an idea -
Whatever you're doing on Friday night, I'd be happy to sit around the bar and
discuss Porsche racing back in the day; and bring my 80 year old friend George
Keck, who ran the 1st Times Grand Prix at Riverside in 1958 in his 550 - 070. Pic
attached from Bremerton Wa SCCA race 1957.

Bob Lee
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bob Lee »

OK gang we are five weeks out until the 2012 Fall Festival, so get registered and book your rooms. We will be closing all new registrations on Sept 28th. :(

Bob Lee
2012 Fall Festival Chairman