2012 Southern Bull Session is On!

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

2012 Southern Bull Session is On!

#1 Post by George Bryan »

Hi all & Happy New Year. This year because of Easter Sunday (8 April), The Masters Golf Tournament (April 2-8), & Phil Segui's daughter's birthday, the Southern Bull Session this year is 31 March 2012. The prestigious Masters Golf Tournament starts on April 2nd, so round up some practice round tickets and see the National…it is awesome!. Our venue is a little different this year than from the past few. We are going back to more Bull, as we evolved the event into something that took on a life of its own…and seemed to detract from what we started out to do.

WE ARE SOLICITING NO ITEMS FROM VENDORS & FRIENDS TO AUCTION. I appreciate your generosity in the past, but please send nothing & I will not put the arm on you this year either!
There is no silent auction this year.

Instead we are going back to what started this thing. So for $25 it is all you can eat delicious Mot's BBQ & sides & beer & stuff like that, some music and the big event is the award of the bull trophy...which was very sought after before we got all wrapped up in other things. I will put out the big jar and anyone wishing to donate to the Cancer Fund please make out a check to the American Cancer Society. Also, after the food is paid for the overage all gets donated.

So here's the deal. Augusta, especially Columbia County, has some very cool things to see. The restored locks on the river and dance pavilion not far from the house are breath taking. Old Georgian mansions and STOCK CAR RACING. Come early, stay later and tour around or go to the golf Tournament...but my back yard…Saturday, March 31st…be there.

There are a huge number of hotels, especially around exit 194 off I-20 that are secure & reasonable & about 15 minutes away. Hospitality starts here Friday & arrive here when you want to with beer & tech & bull in my shop all day. The outing Friday is to the stock car races…the most fun you can have with clothes on is watching real dirt track racing! Saturday Bull session starts @ 9AM and leave whenever you want.

Bring a folding chair, drive your 356 car, 356’s get priority primo back yard parking spots, and please bring a donation of beer, or water or sodas for the community good. Lets have some fun, take a group pic for the Registry, shoot the bull and still do a good thing to raise a few bucks for the club Cancer Fund.

If you plan to attend, even tentatively, let me know. The real prize is the fellowship but the real honor is the trophy your earn for a year to proudly display on the mantle. Join the LEGENDS OF BULL: Me ( a 2 time winner), Curt Dansby, Tom McCoy, & Ken Richardson as holders of the prize and the awesome kudos and responsibility of being caretaker for a year. If you have to ask the rules about bull...you are already out of the running...the bull just has to flow...and be believable...like Tom's photoshop picture, fake letters and pictures of Paul Newman in his speedster...the one Tom now owns...as the movie car in Harper. 8)

OK folks. Mark your calendar & set your Garmin to 1408 Ashwood Drive, Evans, GA 30809 for Saturday 31 March 2012.That’s it. See y’all soon. As you have heard me say before…be there or don’t come.

Regards,
George Bryan
Bull Trophy4.jpg

Brief History: Bull #1 was a handful of regional guys trying to find a common place to have breakfast and shake out the cars for the first good time of the year. We decided my back yard was a central place for all from Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta, Columbia, & Greenville areas. About 18 cars (6 were mine including the beaters), we all fit on my back deck, & we served the BBQ from the back of Big Stan's truck. Mot's provided some BBQ butts we chopped up & served with a few sides & plenty of beer. We donated a few bucks to the Registry Cancer Fund. THEN, with Bull #2 we kicked it up since a good friend's wife & an alumni of #1 died from cancer so we started twisting arms a little to up the ante for the donation in her memory. After that somehow it morphed into a full blown fund raiser, huge silent auction, big food, beer, band, and a two day event. Last year was so hectic the original gang & me were so tied up inventorying items, accounting for money, pushing the silent auction, setting up the larger catered deal, collecting $, paying bills…the Bull was almost neglected and I certainly had little time to sit & shoot the bull or visit with folks…some who came from as far as NY & LA. We also moved to a larger space for the auction & attendance became so big it no longer fit in my triple garage. In the early days of Bull we did things like have an old genuine roadster used as an ice tub, smoked cigars, worked on cars, drank beer, and just told some great stories. We’re going back that way this year. But the evolution was a good thing, we raised over $25k and had added some new things...so this year I am going for the best of all events, but back to basics and we'll still send some money to the Registry Cancer Fund!

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: 2012 Southern Bull Session is On! Mar 30/31

#2 Post by George Bryan »

Folks, just a reminder. We have no real schedule, but here is the gist. People usually start arriving Friday. I open my garage Friday about noon for beer , tech, car tinkering and such. About 4:30 the local ZAXBY's restaurants who are owned by a good friend & 356'er serves up some wonderful chicken and snacks for us. We generally start picking up beer bottles out of the yard about 8pm. Saturday, cars start arriving @8:30 to hang out & listen to our live band. Mots will serve up its traditional BBQ feast, all you can eat with multiple sides, chips, and tea @ 12. Group photo @1:30 and then stay as long as you want. Many stay over and we sometimes go to the local stock car races Saturday night or just decide to continue the bull until the wee hours. Last year there were a few who stayed on the back porch way after I had already gone to bed...yeah, its kind of loose. :-) ...and a lot of fun.

Please bring a folding chair. Please bring a donation of beer, soda, or water to the community cooler. Naturally we will have some cold ones already stocked. We may have a special ice chest this year like the old roadster I had two years ago. It is just a laid back couple of days.

We put out a large jar for donations to the American Cancer Society. If you would like to send a check if you cant come, please do and make it out to the American Cancer Society. All monies will be bundled and sent to the 356 Registry Cancer Fund who sends it to The ACS. Thank you.

Look forward to seeing many of the old friends again, and maybe even some new faces. My back yard, 1408 Ashwood Drive, Evans,GA 30809. No pollen guarantee this year. The prize is a one year ownership of the coveted trophy for the best, most believable BS story regarding 356 production, parts, or your car. Vote this year for the best bull and allow the winner to join the past distinguished winners.

Spread the word. No need to reply. Be there or dont come.

See y'all soon.
George

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: 2012 Southern Bull Session .

#3 Post by George Bryan »

Hi all, thanks for the many replies off line, looks like a nice crowd again this year.

A question that has come from some...SWAP MEET? Folks, this is in my back yard. Even though its a 2 acre plot, it is in a subdivision, and the HOA tweaks me almost every year for cars being lined up & down the street all day....but they get over it :D With all the 356 cars that show up, space is a premium.

I have no problem with a MINI-Swap, that is, guys wanting to bring some SMALLER items that all fit in a box not larger than 12"x12"x12" or there about; and is transported in your 356. If you bring a small assortment of parts to sell, there is a $5 requested donation to the Registry Cancer Fund, done on the honor system.

So, if you have a few odds & ends, bring them along and lay them out behind your car if you wish; BUT, its up to you to keep an eye on your layout, everything in total should fit on a bath size towel. No engines, transmissions, sets of wheels, tires, gas tanks, body panels, seats, tents, tarps, trailers, tables, and such. Also, whatever you bring leaves with you or someone else, just no leave behinds....fair enough?

Please bring a folding chair. Please bring a donation of beer, soda, or water to the community cooler. Naturally we will have some cold ones already stocked. Rain or Shine. Be there or dont come. See ya,

George

Tom Roos
356 Fan

Re: 2012 Southern Bull Session is On!

#4 Post by Tom Roos »

I knew it was time. I saw some pollen on my car yesterday.
Tom
Tom Roos

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by George Bryan »

Tom, I give you my personal no pollen guarantee. :wink: After all, you & the D are veterans of the 2010 Yellow Death....and this year you have a no pollen guarantee...doesn't get any better than that! Oh, oh, is the Bull starting a little early...you be the judge. :?: George

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#6 Post by Mark Pribanic »

While on our way to Disney this morning we saw a yellow C cab driving North on the I95. We were just about past St. Augustine. I'm guessing it was Orlando's John Reker. Possibly, he was heading your way.?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Steve Gaddy
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Gaddy »

I would like to say thank you to George Bryan for once again opening up his home, garage, and lawn for all the 356ers.
George always says "be there or don't come". If you didn't make the first choice, you missed out.
If anyone thinks they can be more creative for a beer cooler I would like to see it!
Steve
Attachments
George says this '57 outlaw is for sale.
George says this '57 outlaw is for sale.
Now there's a creative beer cooler!
Now there's a creative beer cooler!
Friends helping friends.
Friends helping friends.
DSC_4636 - Copy.JPG
Even live music!
Even live music!

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by George Bryan »

Steve, thanks for posting a few pics. I'm glad many of you chose the 'be there' part as I really enjoyed your company & we had a good time. To those who exercised the second option of 'dont come' (many because of the fear of the 30% chance of rain...which did not happen during the event) missed a good time. Rolled the last couple of folks out about an hour ago and am cleaning up the wreckage around the yard the rest of the day.

This year, without the silent auction, we raised $2454 for the 356 Registry Cancer Fund.

Thanks very much to all for your generous donations, both from those who attended and from the few friends who did not, but sent a check for the cause regardless. Take care all, and thanks again.

As usual, I kept busy with host type stuff & spreading the bull, so I took no pictures, so please post any you may have. Safe travels home to all the folks from PA, LA, FL, TN, SC, GA & NC.

Regards,
George Bryan

Jerry Henning
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jerry Henning »

So, brother George, I never heard . . .
Who was the winner of this year's Bullxxxx award?
I heard a whole lot of it flying while I was there . . .
Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Sparky

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by George Bryan »

Kommander Jerry, amid allegations of voter fraud and hanging chad,( Chad never showed up even though we had a new rope) the award is still hermetically sealed in the garage for safekeeping. The bull, from a small, but highly qualified cadre of professional 356 Bull slingers reached new levels, previously thought unattainable.

Jack Kasmer's straight face explanation of the beer coolers restorability and how he can be driving it before long; Dunn's rantings about no 3260 rear lenses in late C models; My multi prong effort ranging from my roadsters picture in Liebe Zu Ihm to the authenticity of perforated headliners in cabs; Bruce Edge's claim he can stretch a non early A clutch cable 42mm to make it fit his car; and Mr Curt's overall extraordinary bull on a variety of subjects all have the judge in a tailspin.

It may be a shared rotating award this year.

Regards,
George