The 356 Community, swap meets, and EBAY rant

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

The 356 Community, swap meets, and EBAY rant

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

Ok, this is my final rant before the Hershey swap meet.
Everyone loves crabbing about how EBAY has ruined the community and turned our once folksy cars into cutthroat top dollar machines, sold to the highest bidder and frequently sold off the continent. But a couple of times a year we all have the chance to be Cher for a moment, and turn back time by attending a Swap Meet, or other 356 gathering. This is our chance to kick EBAY and all its evilness in the teeth. Come out to Hershey and buy, sell, and swap, or just hang out, meet other 356ers face to face. The weather is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 60s, it gets no better.
Remember, WE ARE THE PORSCHE COMMUNITY, this isn't some out of control, far away movement that we have no influence on, we can make it whatever we want. So if we want the swap meets to come back in force, it can happen, if we all show up and support. Take those few boxes of parts in the garage and get them back into circulation, help save a car. The 356 parts are only getting more scarce, passing on un-used parts is becoming ever more important. What better way to pass a part on than to meet the guy you are selling it to, maybe hear about his car, and know you are a part of it.
Also, you can count on a FREE gift bag if you stop by The Unobtanium booth C 5-6. I was packing bags until 1AM last night, so I know they are jam-packed with good stuff.
Hope to see everyone there.

http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

Hershey Swap Meet

#2 Post by Tom Tate »

Sounds like another great time in chocolateland, see you there.

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

For those who are driving a 356 (or other Porsche) to the Swap Meet, do not forget that you can enter your car in the People's Choice Concours. This is a charity event with proceeds going to the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Children's Hospital. There are eight classes with trophies for the top three vote getter's in each class. You also get a great parking space close to the swap vendor area and get to socialize with fellow 356 drivers. What a deal for only $10.00.

Yes, I am the Concours Chairman and have a vested interest to have as many Porsche's as possible in the show.

I look forward to seeing many of you in eight or nine days. I cannot guarantee great weather, but we always have a good time.
Eric Wahlberg

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

Re: The 356 Community, swap meets, and EBAY rant

#4 Post by Mike Klapac »

Adam Wright wrote:Ok, this is my final rant before the Hershey swap meet.
Everyone loves crabbing about how EBAY has ruined the community and turned our once folksy cars into cutthroat top dollar machines, sold to the highest bidder and frequently sold off the continent. But a couple of times a year we all have the chance to be Cher for a moment, and turn back time by attending a Swap Meet, or other 356 gathering. This is our chance to kick EBAY and all its evilness in the teeth. Come out to Hershey and buy, sell, and swap, or just hang out, meet other 356ers face to face. The weather is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 60s, it gets no better.
Remember, WE ARE THE PORSCHE COMMUNITY, this isn't some out of control, far away movement that we have no influence on, we can make it whatever we want. So if we want the swap meets to come back in force, it can happen, if we all show up and support. Take those few boxes of parts in the garage and get them back into circulation, help save a car. The 356 parts are only getting more scarce, passing on un-used parts is becoming ever more important. What better way to pass a part on than to meet the guy you are selling it to, maybe hear about his car, and know you are a part of it.
Also, you can count on a FREE gift bag if you stop by The Unobtanium booth C 5-6. I was packing bags until 1AM last night, so I know they are jam-packed with good stuff.
Hope to see everyone there.

http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/

Well said, Dude. No surprises when your holding a part in your hands.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike-
I forgot about that angle, you can know what you are buying, and you can know that no one is jacking the bidding, because you have cash in one hand and the part in the other.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

#6 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

Adam Wright wrote: Take those few boxes of parts in the garage and get them back into circulation, help save a car. The 356 parts are only getting more scarce, passing on un-used parts is becoming ever more important. What better way to pass a part on than to meet the guy you are selling it to, maybe hear about his car, and know you are a part of it.
.....And don't forget the nice Dutch guy who's still looking for some parts to finish his project :D

2 RIBE M8x1 (fine thread) for the tie rods clamps
- 1 bolt for the clamp to mount the black Knecht air filter to the Zeniths (see picture, the right bolt)
- 2 Hella lenses in good shape (see picture)
- 1 fairly priced tan shift knob for 356A
- 2 original European front bumper guards for 356A
- 1 rod/tube that connects the two seat hinges, with the squared ends, for T2 seats)
- various bolts/nuts (M5, 9mm ATF nuts and Karro/NSF M8, 14mm ATF bolts and 14mm nuts)
Etienne Kerkhoffs
1958 356A T2 Sunroof Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

E-
Why don't you come over and join us? I can save you a giftbag.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

#8 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

Well, flying in Europe is difficult these days thanks to a friendly volcano.

We now say to Iceland: Don't send ash, send cash :wink:
Etienne Kerkhoffs
1958 356A T2 Sunroof Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

This topic may need to be moved to the events section.
The Hershey Swap meet is upon us once again, with projected weather of mid 60s and sunny, perfect for a day out soaking up Porsche.
Everyone always complains that eBAY makes prices sky high and ruins the hobby because only the rich can do it, well here is your chance to make the community great again, come out to the swap and do some back and forth. Take those couple of boxes of parts in the corner of your garage and bring them out and get them into the hands of someone who needs them, and if enough of us do this at good prices guess what, it will work! The Porsche community will support itself and thumb it's nose at eBAY. But it takes you guys to come out, I will be there, we are always there, but will you be? I hope so, stop by the Unobtanium booth and get your FREE gift bag full of great stuff like koosies from Ron at Precision Matters, or light up pens from Mike at Restoration Design, or funny DVD adventures from a younger Al Zim.
Here is the info on the swap:
http://cpa-pca.org/swap/index.html
Attachments
hershweather.jpg
hershweather.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Thanks for the weather forecast. See you there.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Weather holding steady. Seriously, this is a chance to make a difference, if each of you guys rounds up a couple of friends and brings some stuff we could have the best swap in years. But like Smokey used to say,"only you."
Attachments
hearshweather1.jpg
hearshweather1.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#12 Post by Vic Skirmants »

We just checked the forecast, and it doesn't agree with yours. I hope YOURS is correct.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic-
I find Wunderground to be much more reliable and updated than Weather.com, which I assume is what you are checking.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

Latest weather report, looks to be A-OK.

Hope to see everyone there!
Attachments
hersheweath3.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#15 Post by tyler carlson »

Too funny Adam! The blurb about 'being Cher for a day...". I don't know if you've 'let the cat out of the bag' so to speak-but I'd rather be George Clooney or Brad Pitt...considering what they 'have'! Personally-I reserve the Joan Rivers look for Halloween.