Hershey Meet Thread - Hershey, PA, April 26, 2008

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Rick Cicciarelli
356 Fan

#16 Post by Rick Cicciarelli »

Is this a good opportunity to chat with folks about 356's or is it more of a run in and grab what ya need and run out kind of a show? I've always loved these cars, but I don't own one yet....just getting into researching them and learning more about them. Would love to get some input/tips from some folks that are in the know. I've never even gotten a chance to sit in one of these cars...not sure if I would even consider them comfortable...just love the look or these old Porsches.

Rich.Herzog
356 Fan

#17 Post by Rich.Herzog »

Rick Cicciarelli wrote:Is this a good opportunity to chat with folks about 356's or is it more of a run in and grab ...
all types are accommodated. No doubt there will be those who come looking for a specific part, and having found it, head back home -- especially if the weather is bad.

But there's usually an official 356Registry table, and many of The Usual Suspects (names you would recognise if you wandered the Registry website, especially the vendors and resources page...) will have spaces.

Of course for some of the 'big' guys, it's a business opportunity, so there's a fine line between socializing and needing to talk to customers, but most everybody will be as gracious and welcoming as you could hope.

stop by E40 and I'll be glad to say Hi, but I don't represent myself as any kind of ultimate 356 resource (unless you want a painting of a 356, in which case, we can definitely talk all you like :-) ... )
Username is my real name... http://www.ArtechnikA.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

The first hour or two of Hershey is pretty frenzied, but after that everyone normally breaks out the folding chairs and catches up, or meets new people. So come early, look around, and after a few hours you can meet some great 356 folks.

We will be in Booth C 39-40, stop by for a FREE gift bag.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

#19 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

[quote="Rick Cicciarelli"]Is this a good opportunity to chat with folks about 356's or is it more of a run in and grab what ya need and run out kind of a show?

It is a great time to look for parts, gather information, see many Porsche cars and maybe buy one. The Central PA Region Swap Meet has a corral of Porsches that are for sale by their owners, so perhaps you may find one to take home. Also, stop by the People's Choice Concours. Since there is a class for 356s, you should enjoy looking at them and talking with the owners. I am the concours chairman and should be hanging around the concours area in the morning. Stop by and say hello.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

Weather is still looking good for the event.

See everyone there!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Philip Mickelson
356 Fan

#21 Post by Philip Mickelson »

Adam:
Do you have a specfic address for the park; I'd like it to program my GPS?
Thanks
Phil
Philip Mickelson

Rich.Herzog
356 Fan

#22 Post by Rich.Herzog »

Philip Mickelson wrote:Do you have a specfic address for the park
I'm not Adam, but according to: http://www.hersheypark.com it's located at:
HERSHEYPARK
100 W. Hersheypark Drive
Hershey, PA 17033

I've used that address for past navigation attempts and lived to tell the tale so it'll definitely get you there. This is a big event and if history is any guide, the signage and directions are good and reliable. There are maps and directions on the HersheyPark site.

My experience has been that it is easier to cross PA on 78/81 and head into the park area on Laudermilch Rd (PA-743). From there make a right onto Hershey Park Drive and follow the Porsches....

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

Hershey Meet Thread - Hershey, PA, April 26, 2008

#23 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

The Central PA - PCA Swap Meet is in a slightly different location this
year. It is on the other side of The Giant Center from past years, in the
newly expanded parking lot. Thus, when you exit Hershey Park Drive and head
into the parking area, the new lot will be on the right after passing
through the entrance booths. Follow the signs to the Swap Entrance. We
will have more room than in past years, and there will be an area for
parking trailers. The Swap, Porsche Cars For Sale Corral, People's Choice
Swap Meet and Porsche Only Parking are all interconnected, without the
driveways intersecting them as in past years.

See you in Hershey, at The Giant Center, April 26.

Eric

----- Original Message -----
To: <356events@356registry.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Subject: [356Talk]Events Re: Hershey Meet Thread - Hershey, PA, April 26,

Adam:
Do you have a specfic address for the park; I'd like it to program my GPS?
Thanks
Phil

------------------------
Philip Mickelson

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Eric Wahlberg

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

Rooms and Weather

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

Hey everyone-
I just checked the weather and it is holding strong at 71 degrees and sunny. I also just checked and both these hotels still have rooms:
HoJo 717-564-6300
Comfort Inn 717-566-2050

So with great weather, rooms available, and a week to
re-arrange your spa appointments, what is your excuse going to be if aren't seen and heard at Hershey park?

Swap Meets are like a great party, if everyone shows up, everyone has a better time. Don't make me and Rich Herzog be the life of the party, I don't think we can carry it.

See everyone in booth C39-40
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Rick Cicciarelli
356 Fan

#25 Post by Rick Cicciarelli »

Is this show anything like the size of the Hershey show that took place in the summer of 2005?
http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/event ... vania.aspx
Or was that kind of a once in a lifetime show? There was an abundance of beautiful cars at that show...I wish I had had more time to enjoy it all, but we just happened to be in town that day with family and got a chance to run around quick.
I can only assume that there will be some project cars that show up....is there anyone in particular who would be good to talk to who might be willing to take a few minutes to point out some of the known problems spots and areas to look out for when considering purchasing a 356? I've got a stack of books, but nothing is as educational as actually looking at an example car and having someone in the know point things out. Of course I would think this would be later in the day after the hype of the early morning show has died down a bit....but it would certainly be appreciated?

John Chatley
356 Fan

Hershey

#26 Post by John Chatley »

I'll be at Hershey as usual and sharing spaces D54 - D57 with Vic Skirmants.
We'll be bringing lots of stuff to poke thru.
See you there,
John
John Chatley #6578
Convertible D Registry
www.convertibledregistry.com

Rich.Herzog
356 Fan

#27 Post by Rich.Herzog »

Rick Cicciarelli wrote:Is this show anything like the size of the Hershey show that took place in the summer of 2005?
Ah - no.
Or was that kind of a once in a lifetime show?
yup. Specifically, that was the 50th Porsche Parade, the national convention of the Porsche Club of America. Quite the huge deal.
I can only assume that there will be some project cars that show up....is there anyone in particular who would be good to talk to who might be willing to take a few minutes to point out some of the known problems spots and areas to look out for when considering purchasing a 356?
you never know. When you see a bare, rusted hulk on a trailer, you can pretty much identify the known problem spots. 'Complete' cars, especially drivers, can be more challenging, especially if your goal is a total, complete, 'correct' restoration.

But by all means, ask. Check out the candidates, then go someplace like the 356Registry space and see if someone can spare a few minutes to check it out. You can spend a lifetime learnig about these cars and still find something surprising, so please don't be expecting anything like a pre-purchase inspection in a parking lot in 5 minutes. You might get someone able to say 'look for rust here, here, and here. Look for bad repairs here."
I would think this would be later in the day after the hype of the early morning show has died down a bit...
Come early for best selection, stay late for best pricing... But you also have to realise that the guys onsite when the show opens have probably been up since 0400 so you may need to be pursuasive in your request for a free education. The offer of a cup of coffee might go a ways :-)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#28 Post by Adam Wright »

Rick-
If there is a project car there you will find no shortage of de-facto judges, picking the car apart, piece by piece. But you can learn a lot from one of these do-do concours sessions. Events like Hershey, and Registry Holidays are really special events when it comes to knowledge of 356s. A lot of these guys grew up with the cars and worked on them long before you had high end shops, so they know these cars. Guys like me were not even alive when the car were in production, so all of our knowledge is all after the fact. But the guys that show up only at events, they know more than I will ever learn, but they are am aging resource and more and more of them are not as active as they used to be. So I make it a point to try to chat them up at events.
Maybe we should take depositions at the next Registry holiday.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Rick Cicciarelli
356 Fan

#29 Post by Rick Cicciarelli »

rich.herzog wrote:
But by all means, ask. Check out the candidates, then go someplace like the 356Registry space and see if someone can spare a few minutes to check it out. You can spend a lifetime learnig about these cars and still find something surprising, so please don't be expecting anything like a pre-purchase inspection in a parking lot in 5 minutes. You might get someone able to say 'look for rust here, here, and here. Look for bad repairs here."
Not looking for a pre-purchase "free" inspection, as it will be some time before I am in a position to purchase....just looking for a friendly education by anyone willing to share some pointers on what to look for when looking at driver vehicles. "...look for rust here, here, and here. Look for bad repairs here." this is exactly what I am referring to :mrgreen:

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Ok, last minute hype of Hershey. I started packing up parts today and dig out some real hidden gems. Some Speedster stuff, some NOS stuff, even some cool things like a B/C wheel with the deluxe horn ring, or a C tool kit, not to mention the complete and shiny paint A front bumper.

This is stuff that I have never put on EBAY, it has been hiding, I am pulling it out, in hopes of getting people out to Hershey.

So if you want the good stuff, come by Booth C 39-40, and even if you don't buy anything, you still get a gift bag!
www.unobtanium-inc.com