Authenticity IV errors (?)

For Pre A discussions and questions
Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

Authenticity IV errors (?)

#1 Post by Brett Johnson »

Please forgive me posting this in multiple places, but not everyone reads all of the areas. If you want to reply, please use the Authenticity Forum or just email me at: 356drb@indy.net

I'd love to report that every change that was made by Porsche and/or the coach builders described in Authenticity IV is accurately reported, but it is only as good as the information available. I'm already aware of the omission of 1963 and later Karmann coupe chassis numbers on the chassis number list -- as an aside, I really hate the chassis number list, because it is too easy to have this type of issue and proofreading just makes people crazy...

I digress; if you are fortunate to have the soon-to-be-rare first printing of the book, you can treasure this error -- kinda like the upside down biplane stamp, because it will be corrected in the second printing in January 2020. Yes, thanks to the marvels of modern technology, at every printing, I'll be able to make (simple) corrections at no cost to me, so why not fix problems?

I've related elsewhere that during the final stages of preparation for the first printing, decisions have to be made about what to write when desired information has not been received. I try to make it correct, but vague. This was pointed out yesterday on a Bring-A-Trailer 356C where an authenticity discussion broke out about impressions in front latch plates. I only have data for this change on Karmann-bodied cars, so that is what is in the book. I'd love to have Reutter information, but I only get this from sources like you.

So, if you have information that makes what I have presented more accurate, I'm more than interested. If it doesn't make sense to me, then this and my column in the magazine are the appropriate place for discussion/debate.

BTW, I'm really happy with the 1955 and earlier information contained. You guys are the best!
Brett Johnson