Pre - A Under Way

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Pre - A Under Way

#1 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0007.JPG
I have moved this to the Pre - A site, as I think it is coincident to these cars. I just acquired a 1954 Coupe VIN #51857. Numbers matching two piece case motor (P32632) It is a long time CA. car, and very original, and rust free. In the back there is a hole that lines up with the bottom pully nut. It is round, with small slots on each side. What you would expect from a hand crank. The nut holding the lower pully is shaped to accept a typical pair of crank studs. All of the holes are original on the rear as far as I can tell.

………………….Comments, input please. ….Jim.
Jim Liberty

Alan Hall
356 Fan

Re: Pre - A Under Way

#2 Post by Alan Hall »

Have seen crank type pulley nuts on VW's but never seen one used on a Porsche including the two '53's that have been in the family since '55 and '58. So am guessing the pulley nut and the hole were added by a previous owner to be able to crank start the engine.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Yeah, definitely not original to the car. Not only were the pulley nuts not the same as VW as Alan mentions, but the tin piece with the little flap was welded shut on all the Porsche tin.

That car was turned into an outlaw, yes?

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Zingg »

Just curious - - -
Has any member here ever attempted to, or know anyone who has successfully fired up a VW engine using the VW starting hand crank?? With the engine in the car - - - -