Door Lock Remote Control, MY 53

For Pre A discussions and questions
Martin Langer
356 Fan

Door Lock Remote Control, MY 53

#1 Post by Martin Langer »

Hello,

Although the body of my project is requiring a lot of attention - which is a bad sign :( , I am going ahead and check out some parts from the boxes which came with it.

I found 2 nice door locks, stamped 2/54, so they are very likely the original ones for a late MY53 car. Unfortunately, on the left side, one spring inside the remote control is broken. This spring should keep the mechanism and door opener in its rest position. The picture with the red background shows the right side control with the spring; the picture with the blue background shows the left side w/o the spring, just with a remaining broken spring piece in it.

Here are 3 options how to proceed:
1. Open both remote controls, get the good spring as a sample and search for a place which makes a copy.
2. Search for a left PreA remote control in working order.
3. Open just the bad remote control and ask the 356 Registry members, whether anyone knows about the design of that little spring or even where to source it from.

As you assume correctly, my preference goes with option 3. Are there any ideas on how to solve this problem?

BTW, I already checked various VW models. It seems they are all different from the 356 design.

Martin
Attachments
remote control 2-54 right.jpg

Martin Langer
356 Fan

Re: Door Lock Remote Control, MY 53

#2 Post by Martin Langer »

Here is the other picture
Attachments
remote control 2-54 left.jpg

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hi Martin,

I believe that mechanism isn't pre A specific but used through the end of the T1/T1.5 (August 1957) with the high strikers and the release lever above the window winder. That might make your search a little easier. I will check my parts stash for one. I do believe they are different left/right so you will need to determine which side it is you need.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Langer »

Thank you for checking, Jules!

Yes, there are different ones for left and right. A 'L' or 'R' is therefore stamped on each of the remote control parts.
My driver side 'L' has the broken spring.

Martin

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rainer Cooney »

Martin, While the mechanisms are L & R the springs are the same. To make one with this particular shape, tight small radius bends in some thick spring steel would be a bit of a challenge even in the annealed condition. As luck would have it I use the same spring in my 550 Spyder door latch assemblies and have a few spares. Give me your address and I'll send one out.

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Langer »

Dear Rainer,

Thank you very much for your. I will contact you via the Registry email address.

Is there any chance you provide information about your supplier here, so all
other members have a chance to get them? Or are they just your leftovers?

Martin

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#7 Post by Spencer Harris »

I have the same issue with my '53 remote control. Passenger side is fine - driver side has broken spring, so the inside handle does not return to the closed position. I bought and disassembled a VW controller but the spring is different and I was not able to modify it. I've found it impossible to find someone to make these springs for what is mostly a one-off application.

Rainer, yours is a very generous offer for Martin. I too would like to acquire one of your spares if possible. I'm more than happy to pay for the spring - or at least the shipping costs. Please email me and we can sort out the particulars.

Regards,
Spencer Harris
Shafter, CA
spencer_harris@hughes.net
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Langer »

Rainer,

Please press the email buttom on one of my posts and
provide me with information how I may contact you directly.
Thank you very much!

Martin