Accessory socket source?

For Pre A discussions and questions
nathan kruger
356 Fan

Accessory socket source?

#1 Post by nathan kruger »

Does anyone know of a source for a replacement accessory socket? My dash has the hole but the original is long gone. I found this new reproduction (below) but its too big. The non-threaded part fits the hole just barely but the threads are too big. I'm not enthusiastic about enlarging the hole...and all the pictures I've seen look like the bezel is chrome. I can't remember ever seeing one in the classifieds.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Attachments
IMG_9216.jpg
IMG_9217.jpg

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Accessory socket source?

#2 Post by John Brooks »

There are a couple newer ones on eBay. You might remove the rubber cover and it may fit the original hole. For the price it is worth looking at

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... g&_sacat=0
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bill Oldham »

You can buy both the accessory plugs and the socket at BMW motorcycle dealers. I am not sure if the bmw socket outer diameter (~21mm ) fits the Porsche mounting hole. But the plugs are compatible.
Bill

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Oldham »

After looking at your photo I realized my socket isn’t that fat so I went back and remeasured ( it’s on my Moto Guzzi and hard to measure). Yep diameter at the threads is less than 18mm so I guess it will fit. As I recall less than $20, but it’s some time ago.
Bill

nathan kruger
356 Fan

#6 Post by nathan kruger »

Thanks to all.
I'm hoping I can find the 'right' part for a pre-A. The 3 in Brad Ripley's email look like they accept a bullet connector, which I believe is correct for a newer car. I will research the BMW parts. I imagine this isn't something the factory would custom make in 1953 if a VW part would do....
KTF
Nathan

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#7 Post by Donald Zingg »

Nathan

Here's an example of an original socket for 1954 - 1955 P-356 cars.
Not sure if '53 cars used the same design - - - -

--
Attachments
socket1.jpg
socket2.jpg

nathan kruger
356 Fan

#8 Post by nathan kruger »

Thanks! I think that's it. The wiring harness has a ring connector which looks like it would hook right up.
I bet James Davies knows the transitions; my car was built 3/54.
Now, where to find one....

Neil Schlabaugh
356 Fan

#9 Post by Neil Schlabaugh »

I don't know if this will help or muddy the waters so to speak. Our early '53 has the hex style. We have seen this style on earlier cars, not sure when the change occurred. Paging Mr. Davies : )
2018-11-26 05.44.46.jpg
2018-11-26 05.44.27.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#10 Post by James Davies »

Yes, my July '53 coupe has the same hex-type accessory socket as Neil's car. These were used at least through May 1954. They switched to the round one in Don's photos shortly after the change to the 4-gauge dashboard that month I believe.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by James Davies »

As for a source, sometimes these pop up on ebay or samba. There are always many sockets listed for Porsches, but never the correct ones. And then sometimes a correct one will pop up and it's listed for a different car. Go figure. A search on German ebay for "steckdose oldtimer" will get you close. Do that for a year or so, and perhaps you'll find one!

=)

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rick Albro »

I think James squarely puts Nathans car as needing the hex style bezel. The body of the socket from 50199 is a reddish brown color but the body of the socket in 61864 is clearly black. Niels image is hard to tell the color?... Niel can you tell us what color your socket body is?, Donald's socket with the round bezel looks black, ... so with two data points round bezels have black socket bodies and hex shaped bezels have reddish brown socket bodies...All of the internals appear to be the same from the two examples I have in hand. ... the round bezel has a stepped shoulder... this may just be an artifact of the process... close examination of the two bezel I have suggests the threads were cut on a lathe and the recess is the stop or gutter for the tooling...
Attachments
sockets.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#13 Post by James Davies »

Hi Rick, coupes 5023x, 50432 and 50960 all have black plastic sockets. And it looks like 50070 "Walt" does too. You got lucky! =)

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#14 Post by Spencer Harris »

'51 coupe 11341 has reddish-brown socket. '53 cab 60238 has black socket. Both have hexagonal bezels and they are interchangeable with the two sockets.
DSC_0610 (Large).JPG
DSC_0608 (Large).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.