Additional Gauges

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: Additional Gauges

#16 Post by Jim Liberty »

A heads up guys. I just got my gauges for my '54 back from restoration. Speedo, Tach & "PORSCHE" dash matching piece. 7 months, and $3,300. Not a complaint, just a heads up.

……………..Just happy I sent them at the start of the restoration. Steering wheels are taking almost as long also. …….Jim.
Jim Liberty

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#17 Post by Spencer Harris »

Neil Schlabaugh wrote:Heres the early Stork. As you can see no glass and needle is broken
Truly vintage. That's a very cool oil temp gauge Neil and I hope you are able to preserve the original face when you repair it. Brett Johnson's guide to authenticity shows a picture of that style and describes it as an early Störk in a 53 coupe. He also pictures a Celsius left/Fahrenheit right gauge and describes it as a late Störk. I only recall ever seeing the C-left F-right style, so I'm glad you shared your photo of the earlier style!
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Neil Schlabaugh
356 Fan

#18 Post by Neil Schlabaugh »

Thanks Spencer. This may be kinda off topic, but here's a pic of the black and white Moto Meter in Chip's '51. I wish we had a better pic than this. When your in a time crunch sometimes you forget to smell the roses.

phpgWM5iVPM.jpg

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jules Dielen »

Oliver, i have never seen an inside/outside temp gauge on a pre-A. Not saying it does not exist or it was not an option, I have only seen them on later cars.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Bruechle »

1953 Dash seems different than the red 1952 dash ? Ashtray ? Did the black dash have a different location ?
Also the waterfall on the glovebox 53 and push button on the 52 ?
Red Dash Chassis number 119xx is a 1953 356 coupe (Pre-A) by Reutter (built in 1952).
Black Dash Chassis number 507xx is a 1953 356 coupe (Pre-A) by Reutter (built in 1953).

Last edited by Martin Bruechle on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Dash.jpg
The fuel tank in the 55 does have a level sending unit. I haven't checked the wiring to confirm is part of original harness. All I need is to build an engine to match the tach, 57 vintage.
Rusty

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jules Dielen »

the 'dummy knob' on the right side of the dash disappeared during the 53 production run.

Not sure if all cabs came with lockable glove boxes. Coupes for sure did not. I do not believe the dash in the black car should be black, it was probably maroon or a dark red at one point (interior color except on light color interiors)

Rusty you need to find some pre A VDO gauges for that car, it looks very original.
Jules

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#23 Post by Spencer Harris »

Jules Dielen wrote:no fuel gauge in my late 52 'deluxe USA' 1500S. Just a tach and speedo. And a wood peg to verify I really ran out of fuel :)

there was an earlier version of the temp gauge with a single scale. And there was the Beck 'bubble' fuel gauge as well.
Confirming Jules' comment regarding single-scale oil temp gauges: The '53 parts supplement lists both a single-scale Celsius and a single-scale Fahrenheit gauge with the dual-scale gauge showing to be available as of May '52 - evidently one of the many mods that comprised the 'Model 52' cars.
53 parts supplement oil temp gauges.JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#24 Post by James Davies »

Martin, both those dashboards are from mid-1953 to mid-1954. Originally they were identical, but both have been heavily modified.

To answer the original question, in addition to all the nice gauges discussed already, there was also a large Veigel clock available from 1952 through 1955 that was the same size as the speedo and tach.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#25 Post by Alan Hall »

Although the two dashes Martin showed are heavily modified, I think the black one started life as a coupe dash and the red one started life as a cabriolet dash with locking glove box, pull out map light and notch for the rear view mirror mounting rod.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#26 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Alan Hall wrote:Although the two dashes Martin showed are heavily modified, I think the black one started life as a coupe dash and the red one started life as a cabriolet dash with locking glove box, pull out map light and notch for the rear view mirror mounting rod.
That red one I pulled from a 1952 #119xx around 1990 and that car was parked 20+ years prior to that. It was heavily crashed in the left front, rusted out, no floors and rockers eaten away. I chopped that whole car up, sold the rear clip and other parts. I thought about using it for the 53 but it is quite different.

Your the second guy to say it is cabriolet dash but but I don't think so since it has original paint and I still have the matching door garnish.
So I guess I'll have to patch up the black one. Need to find the part to make the radio hole repair. Could be fabricated but with the rolled lip
it might be a PITA.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Is the last 3 VIN numbers stamped on the dash ? If so where ?

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jules Dielen »

Martin Bruechle wrote:Is the last 3 VIN numbers stamped on the dash ? If so where ?
under the radio cut out. you will need a mirror to see it if you have a radio or a radio delete installed. Mine only has the last 2 digits.
Jules

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#29 Post by Trevor Gates »

On the ones I’ve seen, it’s the last 2 numbers, not 3.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#30 Post by Spencer Harris »

Jules Dielen wrote:
Martin Bruechle wrote:Is the last 3 VIN numbers stamped on the dash ? If so where ?
under the radio cut out. you will need a mirror to see it if you have a radio or a radio delete installed. Mine only has the last 2 digits.
30DSC_0983.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.