Additional Gauges

For Pre A discussions and questions
Dr Oliver Strobel
356 Fan

Additional Gauges

#1 Post by Dr Oliver Strobel »

Hey guys,
who of you can tell me what additional gauges for a Porsche 356 Pre A’s Dashboard were available at these times? Picture if possible, please.
Thanks, Olli
Looking for engine

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Additional Gauges

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

oil/ engine temp and fuel gauge. what type depends on the year.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

5449D3A3-0E28-4F08-A9E6-07E88997382B.jpeg
Rusty

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Craig Richter »

Hi Rusty, You must have posted this picture just to get the conversation going, because the only gauge that might be stock '55 Speedster on your dash is the oil temp, the small upper center. The small lower is an aftermarket VDO, which required the repositioning of the warning lights. The big gauges are nice, but from an A. Tach is a Super, speedo seems in KPH. The starter button is from a Mack truck I think, and I don't know what to make of a few other things I see. But it does have a very custom look, and I'm sure you like it.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#5 Post by Alan Hall »

Is the OP asking about what were the stock gauges or what were period available accessory gauges? Rusty's speedo appears to be from a Carrera.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#6 Post by Spencer Harris »

'53, 1300N Euro delivery cab (8/17/53) with Veigel speedo & tach with concave glass & no fuel gauge. (My understanding is that fuel gauges were standard on Deluxe, Hoffman deliveries - and likely optional on others.) Obviously, oil temp gauge is aftermarket. Original MotoMeter, dual-scale oil temp gauge in second photo - these were also made by Störk. Third photo is a '55 Speedster with VDO convex glass gauges & MotoMeter oil temp.
Before.JPG
30DSC_0317.jpg
IMG_5727.PNG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jules Dielen »

no fuel gauge in my late 52 'deluxe USA' 1500S. Just a tach and speedo. And a wood peg to verify I really ran out of fuel :)

there was an earlier version of the temp gauge with a single scale. And there was the Beck 'bubble' fuel gauge as well.
Jules

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Craig, what year Mack? Was aware that the dash is different, I did change the tach to match the speedo. I have been able to confirm the ignition switch is original. Admit I don’t know much about preA speedsters.
Wishing all well.
Rusty
Rusty

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Craig Richter »

Rusty, I was wondering how that added fuel level gauge works. '55 Speedsters didn't have a fuel gauge, unless you count the little graduated stick they provided. Did you change to an A tank with sending unit, or what? Thanks.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

Rusty Ferrell wrote:Craig, what year Mack? Was aware that the dash is different, I did change the tach to match the speedo. I have been able to confirm the ignition switch is original. Admit I don’t know much about preA speedsters.
Wishing all well.
Rusty
Hey Rusty,

the tach in your car is for a B (super) or C, the A tach did not have the green arrow at the bottom. Pre A was a deeper gauge like the one in the white speedster above.

The speedo is for an A Carrera, very rare but not correct in your Pre A.
Jules

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#11 Post by Craig Richter »

Spencer, those curved glass gauges in the white Speedster look fantastic! I doubt that any Speedsters came with those, maybe REALLY early ones, but I'm tempted to go through a lot of work to make Speedy look like that!
Rusty, now that Jules has defined the uniqueness of your dash, you'll enjoy it even more! I'm still working on the Mack truck comment...

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Spencer Harris »

Craig Richter wrote:Spencer, those curved glass gauges in the white Speedster look fantastic! I doubt that any Speedsters came with those, maybe REALLY early ones, but I'm tempted to go through a lot of work to make Speedy look like that!
Hmmm, hadn't noticed that before, and I've no idea if it's correct or not. I don't know whose Speedster that is - I copied the photo from somewhere and had it in my "gauges" folder. I was simply showing the more common position for the warning lights in an early Speedster. Brett's book has a similar photo, but it's hard to tell whether flat or convex glass in the low resolution, B&W pic. I'm sure N. Hollywood or Palo Alto Speedometer could install any shape of glass for you.

Here's a couple of shots of my '55 Continental coupe (05/10/55) with the original gauges. VDO speedo & tach, Störk dual-scale oil temp and Kraftstoff fuel gauge. (All four gauges have dash-color hoods, but they weren't installed when these photos were taken.)
30DSC_0210.jpg
30DSC_0211.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#13 Post by Craig Richter »

Spencer, that is a dash to love.

Neil Schlabaugh
356 Fan

#14 Post by Neil Schlabaugh »

Heres the early Stork. As you can see no glass and needle is broken

2018-05-01 00.59.41.jpg

Dr Oliver Strobel
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dr Oliver Strobel »

Wow. Really nice! Ok, fuel and oil temp. Anything else? I heard of a rumor about an inside and outside temperature gauge.
Last edited by Dr Oliver Strobel on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for engine