16" wheels, hubcaps and some radium green

For Pre A discussions and questions
Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

16" wheels, hubcaps and some radium green

#1 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

I picked up today couple of 16" Sudrads. They seem to have colorful life behind but inside of the rims shows what to me seems to remains of radium green paint. I believe that dates the wheels to be '53 or earlier as '54 was not anymore standard option for colour. Of course special order is different case. Slotted wheels started for MY52 so that would actually date the wheels to be '52-'53 if my assumptions are correct. My pre a is '53, so close enough. I also got some baby moons which seem to fit quite nicely to these wheels. Is it possible to somehow identify whether these are for 16" or 15" version of the hubcaps or even repops?

BTW: The wheels have had tires removed a couple of weeks go so paint has seen very little UV and presumably should be pretty close to original. That is not colour my car has but in case someone needs it to be scanned for reference I'm happy to help.
Attachments
Catch of the day 3.jpg
Catch of the day 2.jpg
Catch of the day.jpg
Last edited by Aki Ruohonen on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: 16" wheels, hubcaps and some radium green

#2 Post by James Davies »

Congrats Aki! Nice Radium green paint on the inside. You should find the following markings on your Südrads when you sand down some of that paint (clockwise from the Südrad logo):

Südrad
3,25Dx16
DIN
date (looks like a fraction M/YY)

There's probably also a date on the inside of the rim, where the original Radium green paint is.

See photo below for typical markings.

As for baby moons, if they are really rusty, they might be original. 8)

Honestly, the early baby moons are a bit taller than the Lemmerz, which started being used in 1954. The 16" and 15" wheels used the same Lemmerz baby moons. PM me, I might be willing to take one or two of those rusty hubcaps off your hands. :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 7.52.03 PM.jpg

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

Re: 16" wheels, hubcaps and some radium green

#3 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Thanks James, all the other markings are visible but no date. At least it is not in the front face. Might be inside and visible once paint is fully removed.

The shape of the baby seem to continue the contour formed by the front face, where the vent holes are located. So in that sense those could be original. Unfortunately I do not have extras to spare at this point. But in case I do find them I happy pass my rusty ones forward :)

Br,
Aki
James Davies wrote:Congrats Aki! Nice Radium green paint on the inside. You should find the following markings on your Südrads when you sand down some of that paint (clockwise from the Südrad logo):

Südrad
3,25Dx16
DIN
date (looks like a fraction M/YY)

There's probably also a date on the inside of the rim, where the original Radium green paint is.

See photo below for typical markings.

As for baby moons, if they are really rusty, they might be original. 8)

Honestly, the early baby moons are a bit taller than the Lemmerz, which started being used in 1954. The 16" and 15" wheels used the same Lemmerz baby moons. PM me, I might be willing to take one or two of those rusty hubcaps off your hands. :D