VIN Panels - Which one is correct for MY53 car?

For Pre A discussions and questions
Martin Langer
356 Fan

VIN Panels - Which one is correct for MY53 car?

#1 Post by Martin Langer »

Dear All,

Here is my first post - and for sure it will not be my last!

The MY53 Coupe which was already put on the Registry Forum for discussion by Chris in 2014
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37183&hilit=52018
is now in my garage near Bonn, Germany. At least the body and most of the parts are. It's a huge puzzle for adult men ...

During the purchase I realized the car still has a long way to go, before it will be back on the road. I am planning for 2 years, at least. Currently, the body is taken apart, getting rid of rust and parts which do not belong there. Later, everything will - hopefully - be put together correctly.

At this moment, I have a question on the correct VIN panel design. Minimum 4 different versions are offered by our vendors, which I will try to post in pictures (let's see.....).
VIN Panel, 2018-10-25.pdf
(202.8 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

They differ in the design of the steering gearbox access cutout (straight, curved, cutout section) and in the upper or lower edges - and maybe more.

Which one is correct for a late MY53 / early MY54 car?

Thank you very much!

Joao Filipe
356 Fan

Re: VIN Panels - Which one is correct for MY53 car?

#2 Post by Joao Filipe »

Hello Martin,
Welcome with your 53 Coupe. I will sent you a photo of my 53 VIN panel... (Chassis number 51363 - Kar. anjo.am: 10.11.53).
Still a long way to finish mine. A 1955 photo is in my avatar. My guess goes to the first painel in your pdf file.
Cheers
Attachments
Vin_panel_ hole.JPG
Vin_panel_53.JPG

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Langer »

Thank you, Joao!
So the '53 MY cars have the little detend on the lower edge of the opening?
Is this the simple answer?
Martin

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Hi Martin,

Welcome!

Perhaps the photos below help? :wink:

Hopefully the original panel has not been removed already. It is important to keep this area intact when doing restoration, as this is the only reliable source of the chassis number on the car.

I would advise not replacing this panel, and instead patching in areas that are damaged, rusted or seemingly blasted with a shot gun. Better to have an area that is repaired original rather than pristine new that is not original in this area. It is only original once.

Besides, this area gets covered with thick schutz and has a rubber mat over the top and a spare wheel on top of that. So nobody will ever see it except for to check the original chassis number of the car and to make sure it is original.
Attachments
52018_ID.jpg
!!qT+pl!!20~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBKGsQ7Z9vQ~~_27.jpg

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Langer »

Hello James,

Thank you very much for the welcome party! Has it ever happened in this Forum, that the first question was answered with pictures from the original car the current owner did not know they existed? What a surprise!!

After following the PreA Corner Forum during the last weeks and months, I was more than once puzzled about your knowledge, expertise and archive on PreA`s, but this is a real special one for me!
Do you know who has taken the pictures and where? Answers to these questions would put some large pieces in to my history research puzzle for this car.

Your thoughts on the VIN plate exchange are well received. I am still weighting pros and cons during the past few weeks. The panel is still in the car, however, a previous owner already replaced the damaged right side. After I now know the rest is original, I will try to save it.

Thanks again, Martin

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Langer »

Hi James,

I contacted you via the Registry email.
Best regards,

Martin