Engine Seal Advice

For Pre A discussions and questions
Frank Hood
356 Registry Member

Engine Seal Advice

#1 Post by Frank Hood »

Swapping the engine out in my 53 and want to replace the engine seal while I’m at it. Car was a Hoffman delivery and wondering if I need US or Euro spec seal?

Thanks
Frank

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Engine Seal Advice

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Frank,

I presume the seal replacement you're asking is for the flywheel? Just use the one listed in the catalog(s).
If the engine has leaks elsewhere, solve those--especially the pulley seal which would be easy to R & R w/the engine being out of the car.
Also, make sure there's no tiny rust spots or a slight groove on the hub; I refinish those including the F/wheel's hub; I don't use Speedi-sleeve(s)

Dick.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dick Weiss »

Frank,

I didn't look when this was posted last year; I presume you replaced the seal(s) by that time.

Dick

David Green
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Green »

Dick,
It was my understanding that the 2-piece cases don't have a pulley seal, just a machined oil slinger in the crank but never had mine apart. More info please.
Regards,
David

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Karaba »

Just to be clear I believe Frank was asking about the perimeter engine seal that goes in the sheet metal. This is why he asked if he should use the euro version or the US style which is slightly shorter.