Wheel alignment specifications & Radial tires

For Pre A discussions and questions
Bob Strickler
356 Fan

Wheel alignment specifications & Radial tires

#1 Post by Bob Strickler »

Hi, I want to have my '53 Cabriolet aligned. I am running 165/80R 15 tires vs. the original 16" bias ply tires. I have a registry post from All Zim in 2008 stating that his Hunter instructor said that ".06 to .08 degree toe in front and rear was the setting that should be used with "rolling compensation"" for radial tires as the old bias ply tires required more toe in. I wonder what all of the specifications (castor, camber etc.) are for these cars when running radials. I am told that there is an alignment shop here in Tucson that can do good 356 work. I want to take these specs in when I take the car in. (I do have the original specs in the factory manual)
Thank you, Bob Strickler #602082

'

Bob Strickler
356 Fan

Re: Wheel alignment specifications & Radial tires

#2 Post by Bob Strickler »

Correction, Vin is 60282 - not 602082 :( ... Bob

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Toe-in front and rear is the only handy alignment-shop adjustment. Rear camber can be adjusted by someone familiar with these cars, but not easily. Front camber and caster are not adjustable without aterations. If they are out of spec, something is bent.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#4 Post by Phil Planck »

I ran radials on my 55 for 30 years and just used the spec in the manu 98al for toe in. I think I only adjusted them once. Steered great.
Phil Planck