Headliner colours for '53

For Pre A discussions and questions
Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

Headliner colours for '53

#1 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Headliner has been in several topics here but maybe it is worth one more :D

I have a '53 (delivered early '54). The old fax from the factory which I have only states that it has have 'Kunstleder' i.e. leatherette interior but no colour. The car has red leatherette backseat and based on the remains of the carpet it has had tan carpeting. I presume it has had tan headliner. However I have also been told that there was actually more 2 colours of headliners back in the days. My car is sold and delivered to Europe and hence is Euro spec if that makes a difference. So what is the verdict? Just two options or more?

br,
Aki

Curtis Batchelder
356 Fan

Re: Headliner colours for '53

#2 Post by Curtis Batchelder »

If you don't mind spending some $$$ the Reutter Book / Cert for your car provides an interior sample sheet pic(s) & data sheet with the material names (A start). Be patient it takes awhile to obtain.

Curt

Member 968
53' Coupe

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Thanks Curt - I know the Reutter book option and probably I'll order it anyway. As you said it takes a while and would like to get forward with the interior and headliner colour is only thing which is not yet confirmed.

br,
Aki
Curtis Batchelder wrote:If you don't mind spending some $$$ the Reutter Book / Cert for your car provides an interior sample sheet pic(s) & data sheet with the material names (A start). Be patient it takes awhile to obtain.

Curt

Member 968
53' Coupe

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

Aki,
If you are just looking for original color combinations then Brett Johnson authenticity book at the very end (page 136 for the last edition) gives body color, seat color and top color combinations. The Ruetter contact as Curt suggested would be the specific to your car. I think one of the posting by James Davies gives a few current sources for very good material matches. ... http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... 33#p298733
I would also check their site and see if they have additional information. please let everyone else know if you find more or better information...

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... 21&t=44503

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Ok - headliner is sorted and the tan it is. I was not able to find information on further colors than tan and grey for '53.

More questions as the interior work moves forward:
1) I have the door cards made as there is no really good option available for '53 only pocketless door cards. There seems fat piping/seal in the bottom edge (arrow 1 on pre a cabrio image) of the door card. Is there somewhere more detailed image of it?
2) For the firewall panel there through bolts for package straps hoops but anything is that all?

Images are gathered from the interwebs and are here for reference use only.

Br,
Aki
Attachments
P1010128.jpg

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#6 Post by Spencer Harris »

These are from original door panels off a ’51 coupe. Autobahn, AI or any upholstery shop familiar with 356s will have a standard rubber tube to make the piping/seal. Sorry, I don’t have the panels anymore so I cannot measure them for you.
DSC_0926 (Large).JPG
DSC_0933 (Large).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

It's leather(ette) wrapped around a rubber tube. See photo.

The rear firewall panel has lots of bolts holding it on. See photo.
Attachments
TN4A1963.jpeg
20141218_40d_3676f copy.jpg

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#8 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Thank you James! Based on the information I have been able to collect from the few extremely helpful enthusiasts the rubber tube is 17x12mm, wall 2mm. Germans use the metric system, I do not know what is the equivalent size in inches.

Br,
Aki

David Green
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Green »

Here's a photo of my 1953 coupe original door panel bottom seal with the speckled-vinyl that I've been told is no longer available.
David
Attachments
Pass Door - Bottom Vinyl Tube.JPG