Where we are now and why doesn't the door lock work

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Where we are now and why doesn't the door lock work

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thought you might like to see where we are and also something I learned which might help others.

Before installing the door cards the internal door handle mechanism worked without a problem, after installing the cards they handle wouldn't move but the external button worked. What the F:-{ going on, so off with the door card .....again, and hey presto the latch works. Reinstall the door card and put screws in one at a time and checked when the latch stops working. Ha Ha the screw opposite the lock impedes the mechanism so I the checked the original screws and wouldn't you know it there are 2 screws with the ends simply cut off. Chopped off almost half the length of these screws and voila the lock works!!

I also must remember not to walk so close the the car now the wing mirrors are on. These mirrors are repros and KCT never had them but having sat in the car I wouldn't be happy driving in modern conditions without them. I hate to think what the rear view would be like driving an early cabrio with the hood up without additional wing mirrors.

V
Attachments
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 007.JPG
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 005.JPG
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 003.JPG
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 002.JPG
V. Gillespie

Hendrik Moulds
356 Fan

Re: Where we are now and why doesn't the door lock work

#2 Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Yes, this is a problem I've had too. One of the screws on my door card impeded the rod that goes from the internal door handle to the mechanism.
Went through the same trouble shooting as you, glad you managed to solve it. :)
'53 Cabriolet
'61 Notchback