An oddity in our wiring loom

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

An oddity in our wiring loom

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

In my original loom there are 4 wires for the headlight bulb holders; White- ground, Blue and Black to the headlight bulb and a 4th which is a lower rated wire which is connected to the small 'side/running' light, I hope the photos are helpful with this explanation. This small light would be about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, it's no bigger than a torch lamp!!

This fourth wire is not a later addition as it is definitely part of the original loom but it does not show up in any wiring diagram, including in the owner’s manual original to the car. In a connectivity test on the original harness one branch is connected to position 5 in the fuse board and the other is connected to position 7. Has anyone come across this before or is it a RHD or UK thing.

VCG
Attachments
CLIFF GREGORY REBUILDING 356 KCT 550 006.jpg
CLIFF GREGORY REBUILDING 356 KCT 550 004.jpg
CLIFF GREGORY REBUILDING 356 KCT 550 003.jpg
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: An oddity in our wiring loom

#2 Post by James Davies »

What brand of headlights are those? Got photos of the whole assembly, including date codes?

Normally there is no extra small light in the headlight. Parking lights are built into the beehive below.

But perhaps this is a UK thing? Not sure.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jules Dielen »

any euro delivery car would have the parking light in the headlight. Only the USA had them below. But that is an odd bulb holder either way.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

steven mclean
356 Fan

#4 Post by steven mclean »

My car has the same lights 54137 rhd

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I thought the main bulb wires were white, yellow and brown. Your colours are common as well?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#6 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, here are some pictures of the Head lights and one of the lenses that were on our car, although I seriously doubt whether both or either are original or even of the right vintage. I have no idea where the date code is but I hope you can see the markings that are on one of the assemblies and the Bosch Lens. KCT came with an extra head light assembly, which is a Hella, and, although not new, I believe it was simply a spare as it is in better condition than those that were on the car. It's not visible but the headlight assembly has a wire retaining clip that is anchored in 2 holes where the lamp holder sits, this swivels up and holds the bulb holder securely in place

The loom definitely is original and has not been mucked around with, so I know this little side light in the headlight assembly is original, also I have seen this set up and lamp holder before so it came as no surprise to me. Regarding the colour of the wires, The white is ground, the heavier rated Blue and Black are for the Headlamp and the lower rated Black is for this little side light. Ignore what looks like blue or red stripes on any of the wires it's just overspray.

I'll take it that this is simply a RHD or possibly a UK thing unless someone knows how an Aussie, S. African or maybe even a Swedish imported car from 1955 was wired.

V
Attachments
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 017.JPG
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 016.JPG
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 015.JPG
OS interior rubber profile & H Lights 014.JPG
V. Gillespie

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

Martin Benade wrote:I thought the main bulb wires were white, yellow and brown. Your colours are common as well?
Pre-1956 wire colors are different from the DIN standard adopted by Porsche in '56
Greg Bryan