It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 am 
356 Fan

Hello, I can finally post some photos of the engine bay and boot/trunk quilts.

The grey side quilts are from our '55 and the front and rear are from a '55 Carrera a great guy let me borrow to copy, hence the many cut out holes. The boot/trunk side pieces in red are from the side of our '55, which is odd as those in the engine bay are grey, but judging by the archaeology of the rust, glue etc when I took them out of the car, and also the recollections of the owner in the late 60's, they would appear to be original.

I have not seen many but over the years I have seen one quilt from an A, in brown, that had 2 slots cut with the edges stitched for the voltage regulator, and also one with a diamond pattern and another with a chess board pattern sewn into it, I assumed to keep the filling more secure. Those that i have seen have been either grey or brown, and the only 2 consistent things were the rubbish quality of the vinyl and the sloppy sewing of the edges, it wanders off in many places!

Hope this helps someone.

V

Attachments:
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 001.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 001.JPG [ 616.19 KiB | Viewed 72 times ]
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 005.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 005.JPG [ 629.46 KiB | Viewed 72 times ]
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 002.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 002.JPG [ 631.44 KiB | Viewed 72 times ]
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 008.JPG
ENGINS AND BOOT QUILTS 008.JPG [ 632.95 KiB | Viewed 72 times ]
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 006.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 006.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 003.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 003.JPG [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 002.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 002.JPG [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 001.JPG
SOUND DEADENIHG QUILT, REAR PANEL & STEERING WHEEL 001.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 72 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm 
356Talk Moderator

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing.

In terms of construction of the quilt for the engine bay, it looks like is cotton rag (dark grey with flecks of color?) with a burlap layer on each side, and then a layer of vinyl on the front side?

What's the back side of the red vinyl pad that goes on the front side walls in front of the fuel tank?

Cars up through 1954 used a single layer of carpet on those side walls, a hold-over from the split-window Reutter cars that had carpet not only on the sides but on the floor in front of the fuel tank as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:19 am 
356 Fan

The engine quilt layers are vinyl, then the beige 'felt', then the burlap/hessian scrim, there is no burlap/scrim layer between the vinyl and 'felt'. The red Trunk/boot side quilts are simply vinyl with a thin layer of the felt stuck to it.
The attached photos I hope shows what I mean with the grain and maybe the quality of the vinyl is apparent.

V

Attachments:
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 008.JPG
Voltage Regulator & close details of quilts 008.JPG [ 592.04 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 007.JPG
Voltage Regulator & close details of quilts 007.JPG [ 689.39 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 005.JPG
Voltage Regulator & close details of quilts 005.JPG [ 647.61 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 004.JPG
Voltage Regulator & close details of quilts 004.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 45 times ]
Voltage Regulator &  close details of quilts 003.JPG
Voltage Regulator & close details of quilts 003.JPG [ 771.7 KiB | Viewed 45 times ]