Window Lifters, MY53

For Pre A discussions and questions
Martin Langer
356 Fan

Window Lifters, MY53

#1 Post by Martin Langer »

Hello Everyone,

Window Lifter Mechanisms were already discussed a number of times in the main discussion forum, e.g.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30471&hilit=window+mechanism
download/file.php?id=29912&mode=view

Surprisingly, I found two different window lifters in the boxes which came with my MY53 project. Both are in very good condition.
Per the attached picture, the lower one for the passenger side, dated 3/54, shows the expected design and shape for a MY53 vehicle.
Question: What is the design and shape of the upper one, driver side marked 'Keiper 11/54' for?

Just an idea: Brett Johnson’s Authenticity Guide shows 2 pictures (see attached) which could lead to the conclusion this design is intended for the ‘early door with aluminum structural panel’. Is this the correct answer?

Which would lead to the next question: When did the change from aluminum to steel for the inner structural door panels happen?

Martin
Attachments
PreA Structural Door Panels.gif

Martin Langer
356 Fan

Re: Window Lifters, MY53

#2 Post by Martin Langer »

and here the picture,

Martin
Attachments
20181212_123808.gif

Alfred Higdon
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alfred Higdon »

Hello Martin,
The window winder dated 11/54 is unbelievably for an pre May 1952 door. I would think it is an replacement part.
The early doors pre May 1952 had handels that were not parallel. The mechanism was mounted to the weak aluminium inner panel, I believe this inner panel was changed to steel shortly after the end of the 4 digit body numbering. This mechanism was mounted horizontally.
In your top picture there is evidence of tearing and modifications to the structure.
The post May 1952 door is thinner than the “early” door, had metal “tops”, winder and inner door handel were parallel.
Best Regards,
Al

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Langer »

Hello Al,

Thank you very much for your confirmation and the additional detailed information. I appreciate it very much.

So, is anyone out there with a 4 digit VIN car who wants to trade an early aluminum inner door panel driver side window lifer for one for a 53 MY car with an inner steel panel?
Please mail me with a picture via the Registry e-mail address.

Martin