turbo rings T bolt fasteners

For Pre A discussions and questions
paul vantol
356 Fan

#1 Post by paul vantol »

I am in the process of reproducing the T ring fasteners for my turbo rings or beauty rings on my 53 Cab. These will look exactly like what the originals looked like and are made out of aluminum with the aluminum stud ( My production guy already made one sample for me). I pareviously tried to find a source for these but the only ones I found were actually made out of some kind of plastic with the wrong sized stud and nut.

I can make more than the 20 I need for my five wheels, but the cost will go down if there are any other Pre-A folks who are interested. Please let me know if you need these. I will wait a bit before proceeding with the milling process and then let you know what the specific cost will be. My guess is that it will come in at around $30 per stud....
paul r. vantol

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

Re: turbo rings T bolt fasteners

#2 Post by Ned Gorski »

Paul you should post this in the main forum ..

Regards Ned
55 Continental Cab

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

I think lots of people are interested in these, but $30 per stud (x20) is a bit expensive to say the least.

Originally these were cast aluminum. Castings should be relatively cheap to make if you can cast several at once. A nice improvement would be to cast the aluminum onto a steel machine screw with a T-top for strength. The stud is a standard M6.

paul vantol
356 Fan

#4 Post by paul vantol »

I have had my machinist replicate exactly the T bolt turbo ring or beauty ring fasteners for the early cars. These tend to break when they are removed because they are made of aluminum and "weld" themselves to the steel bolts that are used. I can have extras made if there is an interest among the 356 faithful.... I expect the cost to be around $30 per bolt but I may get that down if there is enough of a demand.
paul r. vantol

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

Id be interested in a set but not at $30 a bolt.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.