Help in reinstallation of door windows

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Help in reinstallation of door windows

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, having walked away from this once where I got the glass and regulator in but then couldn't get the frame in I tried again with the frame in first but now I can't get the glass in, HELP!!

My 1st method was to get the glass onto the regulator inside the door and then fix this assembly to the door. It worked moving up and down no problem, but I couldn't get the frame in no matter where I had the glass. So I thought try it with the frame in first followed by the glass and regulator, as suggested by the manual, although the manual has a picture of a cabrio door been worked on. I eventually got the frame on and once again put the glass on the regulator inside the door but I just can't get the glass and regulator in the frame channels and bolted on. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

V

PS
I also had fun and games with the rear upholstery panel which I made ages ago and fitted perfectly in the empty shell. However with the new upholstery and carpet installed it just wasn't quite right so after much struggling I bit the bullet & remade it including making extra long panel pins to make it easier push them through. All done now and the original seat back & cushion and the rear panel look pretty good in conjunction with the new.
Lessons learnt;
Don't cut and drill the fibreboard before the rest of the upholstery is in,
When making patterns inside the car use pencil or chalk as sharpie pens mark things you don't want!!
Isopropyl alchohol makes sharpie permanent marker ink disappear with one touch!!
V. Gillespie

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Help in reinstallation of door windows

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Vincent Gillespie wrote:Hello, having walked away from this once where I got the glass and regulator in but then couldn't get the frame in I tried again with the frame in first but now I can't get the glass in, HELP!!
Hi Vincent,
I recently assembled and disassembled my 53 cabriolet windows multiple times before coming onto a workable method. The cab frame is of course 4 pieces with 8 mounting brackets, so one would think a coupe frame is a bit simpler. I first installed the brackets to the frames and the frames to the door with all nuts & bolts only finger tight. With the glass attached to the regulator elevating rail, I worked the assembly into the frame channels and adjusted the regulator to line up the mounting holes. With the glass in the fully raised position the upper bracket nuts & bolts were snugged up, and with the glass in the fully lowered position the lower brackets were snugged up. Back & forth until all four corners were secure and finally secure the regulator N&Bs to the inner door panel. A bottle of wine & a good night's rest and then tackle the other door :D
40CIMG8639.jpg
40CIMG8711.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.