Early Cab

For Pre A discussions and questions
James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Early Cab

#16 Post by James Davies »

Btw, would love to see more photos of 10960! Looks lovely.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bil Brown »

James.....there are about a dozen pics of details of the car in Brett Johnson`s first printing. I drove it to Ken Daugherty`s Louisville Holiday and Brett took lots of pics. I`ll dig some out.
Bill Brown

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bil Brown »

circa 1985......I sold it to Japan in 88 or so......it`s back in Germany now and Moor Green again.
Attachments
SAM_3095.JPG
SAM_3094.JPG
SAM_3093.JPG
SAM_3092.JPG
SAM_3091.JPG
Bill Brown

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#19 Post by James Davies »

Thanks for sharing Bil! Great car. Moor green. That's a color I've never seen before.

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#20 Post by Bil Brown »

The dash had OG paint on it. A chronometric tach was in the big hole on the left. I had two of the wheels, they were also green. Car lived in Lincoln, NE for many years. I searched for it for 10 years and finally tracked it down to a guy in Wichita. I called him, and eventually bought it. I drove it for a couple years. The best part of this story is/was...........I had it sitting out in the front of our acreage and a guy stopped and said "that`s my old Porsche"........I was shocked to learn that this guy, Richard Spencer, who taught music at UNL, had brought this car back from Germany after his service in the Army as a music/bandleader. We had a great conversation and he eventually brought me a stack of color slides of the car in Europe......on the road....at some races, etc. The car also had a nice stack of paperwork.....factory engine exchange documents and service records. It definately had the highest "funk factor" of any Porsche I`ve owned! I put an SC engine in it, 15" wheels....and got the"Basketcase" award at the Louisville Holiday!
Bill Brown

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#21 Post by James Davies »

Ha! That's great. And very interesting!

Was the dashboard (front and back) Moor green as well as the wheels? Or was the front of the dash painted a different color to match the interior? Looks like the interior was black or dark blue? Original or replaced?

Moor green is sort of an olive green, yes?

And yeah, I was going to mention that I thought it was not a Hoffman car, because at this point all the Hoffman cars had export bumpers and a rear license shine down mounted higher for the US plates. Makes sense that this was brought back from Germany. Very cool that it had lots of paperwork with it. =)

I only have Brett's revised edition, so I suspect I missed out on his photos of your car.

James

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#22 Post by Bil Brown »

The dash was Moor Green, a dark green.....don`t know about the backside. Wheels also body color. Interior was mostly,original, tan carpet, seat bolsters were green if I remember correctly, seats may have been recovered...... Here`s the pic info in Brett`s 1st edition printed Feb 1987: page 67 wiper sw.......pg 86 back seat......pg 78 door panel.......pg 66 idiot lights......2 dash pics on pg 63.........fuse panel pg 56........fuel tank pg 53........pg 52 1/4 window........pg 50 split windshield(very yellow from age).........pg 41 taillights, had teardrops when I bought it.......OG headliner pg 74........and carpet "Kringle" flap pg 80.....all original stuff.
Bill Brown

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

#23 Post by Tony Proasi »

Bill,

Curious do you have any pictures of the Louisville holiday? Sure do miss Ken....

Tony

paul vantol
356 Fan

#24 Post by paul vantol »

So what about that dash grab handle? Oddly enough, I have a similar grab handle that was present on my 53 Cab 60240. Not sure whether it was original or what, or whether I should leave it off my restoration which is proceeding very close to paint application. Any thoughts?
paul r. vantol

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#25 Post by Bil Brown »

Paul......It was on the car when I bought it, and I left it there.
Bill Brown

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#26 Post by James Davies »

Dash grab handles are not original.

George Kehler
356 Fan

#27 Post by George Kehler »

I miss Ken as well ..... what a wealth of Pre A knowledge ......
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Reinhold Plank
356 Fan

#28 Post by Reinhold Plank »

Hi Bill, great story and pictures. James, yes, Moor Green is a kind of Olive tone, is not dark. Maybe as often the dash was painted dark for reflections
I do right now a early 52 Europen delivered Split coup, born in moor green and has still traces from the original paint left
Attachments
031E5158-ADE6-4FF0-A0EA-084578C1DB8B.jpeg
Reinhold

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#29 Post by James Davies »

Thanks for sharing Reinhold. Great color!

Tom Niedernhofer
356 Fan

#30 Post by Tom Niedernhofer »

Just happened upon the photos of the early Reutter Pre-A Cabriolet. (Hi Bill Brown, long time...)

Actually looks alot like Cab #5134. Black, tan leather interior. 1st time I saw #5134 in '73 it had "interim" bumpers with short, fat steel bumperettes...just like those in the photo. Wheels had holes for turbo rings, but rings were not on/with the car. (5 wheels were/are 3 x 16 riveted, stamped with the KDF cog. It also had/had a Sun tach in the place where the clock is in Bill's photo...Sun transmitter was in the engine bay. A big old tube Motorola radio was installed and a unique speaker grill was in the center dash pod.

Traced #5134 back to Woodenville, WA in '58. Trail went dead there regarding the history gap between the Factory and WA State...

The Reutter Cabriolet in Bill's photos has all the other right stuff, it appears. Added Lucas mirror. Great pair of photos.

Tom Niedernhofer
Tom Niedernhofer

(Registry member since '78)