RM Sothebys Auction Arizona Jan 2018

For Pre A discussions and questions
Tom Kaiser
356 Fan

RM Sothebys Auction Arizona Jan 2018

#1 Post by Tom Kaiser »

53 convertible
Does somebody knows the car very well ? Detailed Information would be very helpful to consider further steps. Tks Tom

http://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/A ... ter/545103

George Alspaugh
356 Fan

Re: RM Sothebys Auction Arizona Jan 2018

#2 Post by George Alspaugh »

Tom- I don't know the car well, but Tim Herman does. He restored it several years ago. Here is the link.
http://www.carreramotorsport.com/1953%2 ... iolet.html

Good luck!

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

I will say is that this doesn't look like Pascha red. Much too dark. It's possible it is the lighting?

It looks like the exterior color was matched to the original dash color on the car, which was very likely maroon if the car had a beige interior. But the exterior color should be Pascha red, with only the dash, interior window frame and garnish rails being the darker maroon color. Pascha red is much brighter and redder than the maroon color Reutter used on pre-A dashboards.

Also, the rear valence should be notched in the center a single, round exhaust pipe.

David Green
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Green »

A few observations:
I agree with James that the color looks more like the original maroon dash than Pasha Red
If it's a "Deluxe" model than it should have the 70 hp engine, not the 55 mentioned in the description and wheel trim rings.
I don't know about cabs, but I don't think '53 coupes had engine compartment insulation.
Wipers blades/arms are later model.
David
Edit: It doesn't have the Stork oil temp gauge capillary tube and engine dipstick probe.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Agree with David. It should probably not have engine compartment insulation, though it's possible that it was a special order. These "1953 model year" cars didn't have the insulation, only schutz, though there is spotty evidence that a few cars here and there did. Obviously the kicker is if one finds the screw holes where it was mounted in the original sheet metal.

This is a USA de Luxe from the Kardex, which means it should have all the USA de Luxe trim, including turbo rings. Original wheels with the 4 bolt holes for mounting them would indicate this (EDIT: the wheels on the car have these bolt holes, as shown in the photos). It also came with a 546 engine according to the Kardex. Certainly it was standard for the de Luxe models to come with the 528, but it seems customers and Hoffman had a change of heart later into 1953 production when they saw the reliability and maintenance costs of the 528 engine with its Hirth crank. I suspect a good number of customers wanted all the nice trim, but didn't want the higher-revving race engine. I've seen another cabriolet with this spec - USA de Luxe, but with 546 engine. I don't know how common it was.

And in fact, this is the direction Hoffman went in starting in May 1954 with his orders from Porsche - gone was the stripped-down corduroy coupe without a rear seat back. All cars now had a lot of the items that were formerly only available on the "de Luxe" models. By late '54, the Continentals even made the turbo rings standard.

Mark Cohn
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Cohn »

And not to nit pick this absolutely beautiful car too much, but I don’t see any vinyl trim around the shift linkage cover.

George Kehler
356 Fan

#7 Post by George Kehler »

And should it have a fuel gauge ?? Sender looks different. Tool kit looks new and prob wrong jack. George
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Harrison »

James Davies wrote:Agree with David. It should probably not have engine compartment insulation, though it's possible that it was a special order. These "1953 model year" cars didn't have the insulation, only schutz, though there is spotty evidence that a few cars here and there did. Obviously the kicker is if one finds the screw holes where it was mounted in the original sheet metal.

This is a USA de Luxe from the Kardex, which means it should have all the USA de Luxe trim, including turbo rings. Original wheels with the 4 bolt holes for mounting them would indicate this (EDIT: the wheels on the car have these bolt holes, as shown in the photos). It also came with a 546 engine according to the Kardex. Certainly it was standard for the de Luxe models to come with the 528, but it seems customers and Hoffman had a change of heart later into 1953 production when they saw the reliability and maintenance costs of the 528 engine with its Hirth crank. I suspect a good number of customers wanted all the nice trim, but didn't want the higher-revving race engine. I've seen another cabriolet with this spec - USA de Luxe, but with 546 engine. I don't know how common it was.

And in fact, this is the direction Hoffman went in starting in May 1954 with his orders from Porsche - gone was the stripped-down corduroy coupe without a rear seat back. All cars now had a lot of the items that were formerly only available on the "de Luxe" models. By late '54, the Continentals even made the turbo rings standard.
So, would standard stuff be listed on the Kardex?

David Green
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Green »

Steve,
The Kardex for my '53 America coupe shows only the typical information: dates: chassis, engine and trans numbers; key codes; materials/colors: "USA- Standard-Ausfhrung (model): Hoffman, New York: and one warranty repair.
David

John Brooks
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Brooks »

I saw this car during the restoration when it was bare and in pieces. The metal work is exceptional, the fabricated sections and welding was perfect. It was done properly

http://carreramotorsport.com/1953%20356 ... riolet.htm
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello David,

The reason I was asking more or less is because James mentioned that the Continental had sort of a “standard package” of trim and that standard stuff isn’t listed. Makes sense.
But my Kardex has the notation for optional equipment:

1 Satz Alu-Radzierscheiben

It’s the only option listed.
It’s a Continental, and if those are standard,...why listed?

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Spencer Harris »

Mark Cohn wrote:And not to nit pick this absolutely beautiful car too much....
Ditto to Mark's comment: the car is beautiful! According to the '55 parts manual this chassis would have had the wood framed "mail-slot" style rear window #356.57.351. The larger, frameless plastic windows #356.57.355 commenced with chassis no. 60390.
CIMG8737 (Large).JPG
(Wood frame and acrylic lens by Ted Capps. Rear window seal by Reinhold Plank.)
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jules Dielen »

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1953- ... cabriolet/

the 53 cab at Gooding might be the better choice? 1500s on top of it all.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

George Kehler
356 Fan

#14 Post by George Kehler »

I agree with you, Jules. Love the contrasting dash, a pre a idiosyncrasy. And the turbo rings !!
Last edited by George Kehler on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#15 Post by Steve Harrison »

Damn, you’re right guys,...it doesn’t get much sweeter than that 53.
Color combo, and all the goodies. Very curious where that one will hammer.
Just a beautiful car all around.