Idiot light dismantling

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Idiot light dismantling

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

I have given up trying to get these apart as they lit up last time they were tested, a long time ago, and recent electrical continuity test still shows all's well. I'm not too concerned, but it would be nice to get them apart, just in case! For the record do the tops with the coloured 'jewels' simply screw off?, that is if you can get a hold on it! I'm not keen of soaking or spraying penetrating fluid as it will undoubtedly get into places I don't want it to be and short something.
V
V. Gillespie

nathan kruger
356 Fan

Re: Idiot light dismantling

#2 Post by nathan kruger »

Yes the part closest to the driver with the colored lens just unscrews.

The challenge is getting a grip on it without mangling the aluminum.

Best
NK

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rick Albro »

keep in mind that if these don't work the body is made of aluminum and that aluminum oxide is an insulator whereas aluminum is a good conductor. A good cleaning will restore contact in many cases unless you need to change the bulb. The best way to loosen the knurled portion is to hold it in a collet and turn the body.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#4 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks, it's as I thought.
I have them in the dashboard but there are 3 more dials to go back in and, of course, I'm still trying to get the glove box liner correct. More V. V. careful sanding away of paint and fiddling with fabric to be done, so it'll be a while before the dash is back in the car. I have this 'itch' that I would like to get them apart, just in case, and it's a darn sight easier now! Anything I tried to grip the top with, that wouldn't mangle up the aluminium, simply wouldn't hold. Was the collet you refer to made to fit the knurled edges?

V
Happy Christmas everyone.
V. Gillespie

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rick Albro »

What you need is a soft collet. I would talk to a machinist or to the local community college. I would bet that if you tell your story and show him your car he will most likely help you unscrew the knurled portion. Aluminum is soft and most blemishes can be polished out. In a worst case scenario you can replace the knurled portion of the light.
Attachments
idiot light.jpg
idiot light.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 1113 times