356 Aluminum Jack Pads?

For Pre A discussions and questions
Curtis Batchelder
356 Fan

356 Aluminum Jack Pads?

#1 Post by Curtis Batchelder »

Have any of you guys added these nicely machined modifications to protect the bottom metalwork of their 356's front/rear? I have a 53' Coupe (no sway bar) just out of major metalwork and I have some reservations about installing the front pair of Jack / Lift Pads (clearance) in actual driving use. The front bottom trunk area of this car was especially pushed-in, dented, mangled and breached without reducing the ground clearance as built. As yet I have not been able to locate the vendor (356 Specialties) these were a gift purchased in 04'. Any comments of use, product expectations, and function would be appreciated.

Thanks

Curt
Attachments
IMG_0393.JPG
Front.JPG
Last edited by Curtis Batchelder on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Hawkins
356 Fan

Re: 356 Aluminum Jack Pads?

#2 Post by John Hawkins »

Can you attach pictures of the pads?

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I have always jacked with a short piece of 2x4 in the hydraulic jack pad. Jack in the rear, under the hoop and in the front under the sway bar brackets. No damage. But then I never allow a shop to use a lift on a 356. I predict that if you do you will be pissed to find that they ignored ignored your fancy additions and jacked on the floor anyway!

Curtis Batchelder
356 Fan

#4 Post by Curtis Batchelder »

I do that as well with the 2 x 4 short length and the jack, and using the trans loop as a lift point.
More than likely predictably so, good advise on not allowing your car on a lift under any circumstances. The metalwork is amazingly done, I'm so long and far from driving the project that I haven't given it much thought. Bought the Coupe in 79' so it has been a long haul effort 38 years, plus 2 years to convince the seller to sell.

Thanks

Curt